Tuning for Economy

Haha shoot! I meant no post injection. Ive got pilot on and havent messed with it. So your saying that you need to adjust it also to try to get the best fuel economy?

Also is there a need to smooth out the pilot injection tables? I noticed that they are pretty jagged.

I do run a post up to 1500 rpms ONLY to aid in spool...while at cruising speed 1800-2200 rpms I do not have a post event...

Yes, modification of pilot is necessary to make everything happy..I have smoothed mine out and adjusted the timing in the lower portions of the map to aid in spool and cruising egt's.

Les, our race truck spools at 23-2500... should I even mess with post?

Les, our race truck spools at 23-2500... should I even mess with post?

Is that where your converter is setup at?

If so and since we don't have access to post timing yet, I'd leave it off.

When we get access to post timing, then you might try it.

It's a 68, I'm not sure what converter he's got in it right now... mine is completely off in my truck and it spools up fine but it's a baby 472 on an 83 turbine, not a 483 on giant turbine like his..

OK, thanks a lot Les. How does this look for the pilot injection?

EFILivepilotinjection.jpg

OK, thanks a lot Les. How does this look for the pilot injection?

EFILivepilotinjection.jpg

I'd smooth it out more, and reduce the 50+ areas down to the mid 40's... And increase the low end some, but in reality, changing one thing and testing it then change another is really the best way to tune.

It's a 68, I'm not sure what converter he's got in it right now... mine is completely off in my truck and it spools up fine but it's a baby 472 on an 83 turbine, not a 483 on giant turbine like his..

Well with my pulling truck with a 478/83/1.0 T-6 spools around 2000-2200 and full 55psi by 2500...

Just for perspective...but it's running a old style cam.

I'd smooth it out more, and reduce the 50+ areas down to the mid 40's... And increase the low end some, but in reality, changing one thing and testing it then change another is really the best way to tune.

Ok thanks again! Yeah Im going to mess with it a little more and put it in my truck in a while and see how it goes. I love messing with this stuff but scared because I dont want to take a chance and screw up my truck. LOL

Now quick question is now that Im changing my timing stuff do I need to mess around with the pilot injection quantity base table also?

Sorry for all of the questions!
Austin

Yes, you should adjust mm3 as well

Les,

Thanks again for your help. I actually took my 100hp tune and made some changes at my cruising RPMS and my over head has been around 20. I know that's not spot on but I need to fill up and do it and see where its at but I've already noticed a difference.

Thanks,
Austin

Les,

Thanks again for your help. I actually took my 100hp tune and made some changes at my cruising RPMS and my over head has been around 20. I know that's not spot on but I need to fill up and do it and see where its at but I've already noticed a difference.

Thanks,
Austin

I wanted to add on this, last tank I got around 16.5 with some monkeying around and just babying it. Somewhat pleased by it but I know I could probably do a little better but its just nice having that added power when you need it.

Got another question for you Les. Im having a hard time tunning a buddies dually. Hes wanting good fuel mileage but the hard part is he doesn't drive highway miles that much. Is there anything I can do for that? I just told him that if he does all city driving hes not going to be getting that great of mileage. Plus is a 6spd so that probably doesnt make matters any better.

Thanks,
Austin

What is the extent of his mods??

Fuel, air, tires etc...

Completely stock, except exhaust which is 4" turbo back with high flow muffler.

The first time I tuned it I just put a small 40hp tune in it and he said he got around 14.5 I believe. And he wanted more, so I put on a mileage tune and did a few changes and he said its around 13 now... LOL

Last edited:
Main timing is KEY to MPG even in town...work the 1000-2000rpm and 20-45mm3 area and start to add timing in that area until MPG goes up...I call mine my little ISLAND...which it truly looks like a island...

Back