Turbo Bark?

wolfhound

I recently upgraded my Cummins 5.9 turbo from 62/65/13 to 64/71/14 to improve passing power. Passing power is now phenomenal, however, after hard acceleration, if I let off the throttle quickly, I hear an intermittent noise for a second or two that sounds like it's coming from the exhaust system. Could this be what is known as "turbo bark?" If so, what causes it?

Letting off the throttle too fast is what causes it. Make it a habit to let out slower.

Google works wonders. It would literally take less time to Google what causes turbo bark, find the answer, and take a poop then it's taking me to write this response.

It's the compressor wheel stalling briefly. While trying to slow down too fast that will break the shaft eventually.

Ya it might sound cool. But you'll be paying for it in no time. Increasing performance of the truck requires changing your driving habits. That's just how it rolls. Or start saving for a new turbo now.

Last edited:
How 'bout we just close this site?

And....... You're not ready here. The title is "Competition Diesel" at the top of the page, yet you come here asking stupid questions like that. Google coulda answered that question with ease and then you get all butt hurt when someone tells you that.

It's the compressor wheel stalling briefly. While trying to slow down too fast that will break the shaft eventually.

Low Tech Redneck, thanks for taking the time to explain this. For the rest of you guys, it looks like you are eager to unload your frustrations, but you won't take time to be constructive and offer an explanation. Winners don't act like that.

Winners also take initiative and think for themselves buddy, something these other guys are trying to teach you.

Low Tech Redneck, thanks for taking the time to explain this. For the rest of you guys, it looks like you are eager to unload your frustrations, but you won't take time to be constructive and offer an explanation. Winners don't act like that.

Your momma is so ugly!

Been far too long since we've had one of these threads....

why-starting-this-year-single-is-actually-the-best-idea-ever-12-gifs-13_zpsflw7npu1.gif

How many times should the time be taken? As many as the question is asked?

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk