Turbo barking at lock up.

Kickaha

I have a 64-73-12 turbo that I've been having some issues with. One of which is it will bark really bad when the tc locks under hard throttle. What is the main cause of this? Low drive pressure? The tc locks on it's own at 2800 rpms if I don't lock it in 3rd with the lockup switch. It will also do this same thing if I lock the tc in 4th and roll into it from lower rpms, once it hits about 2200-2400 it will do the same thing... It will be at 45-48 pounds of boost when it does this too. I'm afraid it's going to break the shaft. Any ideas would be much appreciated!

You need more fuel and even then it might still bark so you'll be looking at twin chargers. If you give it more fuel and you're still running a stock input shaft...well then you'll only have two options, One: suck it up and fix the shaft or Two: cry about it and fix the shaft. LOL

Last edited:
I have a rack plug I can install and see what happens. Thanks for the reply.

Should a turbo this size clean up 5x16's if I have no other problems?

You'll need way more fuel than that rack plug is going to give you. It should clean it up the pump is properly tuned.

Last edited:
Put DVs in it, tune the AFC (there is whole threads here on that subject) and leave the fuel plate out.

Right now I have the fuel plate out and the stock afc spring stretched out a bit. 18.5* of timing and a Hamilton 181/210 cam with springs and keepers. the head is mildly ported same with the exhaust manifold. The injectors are sdx 5x16's with 280 bar and +15 lift. What DV would you recommend? I was hoping to keep the truck from being too smokey... I might just have to go to twins for that tho.

You already have 181's in it if I am not mistaken, maybe try some 191s or 022s?

My daily driver is still stock, except we did a Goerend triple disk, billet input, valve body, clutches/steels and so forth. When mine goes in to lockup pulling a trailer loaded it does the same thing (somtimes)

Where did you get the turbo from? I don't think a 73 turbine will fit into a 12 cm housing without being trimmed a ton. Are you sure it's not a 64/65/12? That would explain the surge IMHO.

You need more fuel and even then it might still bark so you'll be looking at twin chargers. If you give it more fuel and you're still running a stock input shaft...well then you'll only have two options, One: suck it up and fix the shaft or Two: cry about it and fix the shaft. LOL

Right now I have the fuel plate out and the stock afc spring stretched out a bit. 18.5* of timing and a Hamilton 181/210 cam with springs and keepers. the head is mildly ported same with the exhaust manifold. The injectors are sdx 5x16's with 280 bar and +15 lift. What DV would you recommend? I was hoping to keep the truck from being too smokey... I might just have to go to twins for that tho.

I dont think he needs more fuel?!?!

It's an E.D. turbo with race cover. I'm trying to figure out if I have problem with the turbo or something with my fueling... I should be seeing well over 46-48 pounds of boost. But the fuel is mostly cleaned up at upper rpms. The surge is what scares me.

I would've thought it would have higher drive pressures and be less prone to surging problems?

I dont think he needs more fuel?!?!

Large injectors only deliver as much fuel as the pump puts out. It doesn't matter if a guy has 5x16s or 5x35s if the pump is only delivering x amount of fuel that's all it's delivering and atomization is what's changing.

I would've thought it would have higher drive pressures and be less prone to surging problems?
The 73mm turbine wheel will drop drive pressure. Before you add fuel you might want to drop injection timing back a few degrees and see what happens, retarded timing will put more heat in the exhaust which in turn increases drive pressure. If you want to take your truck to the limits of the turbo you have you must leave the pump timing alone until after fuel is added.

Last edited:
It's an E.D. turbo with race cover. I'm trying to figure out if I have problem with the turbo or something with my fueling... I should be seeing well over 46-48 pounds of boost. But the fuel is mostly cleaned up at upper rpms. The surge is what scares me.

We have plenty of these out there, your case is not common for them. I am not sure I remember who you are by your screename. As Lee has stated it sounds like you're not pushing it. The tighter housing actually makes the larger turbine wheel less likely to fall under as you're stating yours does.The fact its happening at the rpm's you stated surprises me. We have had some feed back that a locked up 3rd gear or OD shift down in the 15-1700rpm range if you're not driving through it. One thing you have never mentioned is heat. What are you seeing for temps through a run? What are you running for fuel pressure supplying the p-pump? Chris

I think your lift pump is not keeping up, 2800 rpm is right where the stock lift pump starts to struggle when you have big injectors. I'd try modifying the overflow valve and see if it temporarily fixes the surge.

If you want to make as much power as possible with your setup, you need to maintain adequate lift pump pressure. For your truck with 180 HP pump, I'd try to maintain at least 30 psi.

I have stretched the ofv and put a ball point pen spring in with it. It maintains 30 psi under full load (42 at idle). Normal driving egts are 800-950. Under a hard run if I manually shift it at over 3k rpms the egts will hit 1400-1500 by 90 mph. I have not played with the timing since installing all of this other than to set it at 18 when I put it all on. I am going to pull my afc arm soon just to make sure that it is not somehow limiting rack travel. What I really don't get is why it will do it under full throttle in 4th locked between 2200-2400 rpms but if I get on it over that it's fine. I can have 10 pounds of boost by 1800 rpms and full boost by 2400 in 3rd gear without any kind of problems. In 4th it's the same thing until it starts going nuts at between 25-40 psi of boost. Thanks, Kirk.

Back