turbo surge

ThunderedRod

Hot Pants
I bought my turbo off a friend double batmo 64/68/14. I remember when I bought it he was saying he got a small wheel for better spooling.. I really didnt know much about turbos then so I bought it. Seemed like a good deal.

Im getting some pretty wicked surge in OD light throttle and low rpms, specifically when i am trying to pull hills w/ a loaded truck. If I let the truck continue in OD it will surge harder and harder till i lose all boost and have to let out of the throttle. I talked to bill at bulls-eye and he suggested I sent in the turbo for a bigger exhaust wheel. I do not have the time for this as my truck is a DD and it will cost $800.. :nail:

If my truck is empty it is very easy to drive around the surge per say..

I know on a 7.3 ps one can install a ported shroud to help with turbo surge. Is a ported shroud available for a S300??

I was also thinking about a OD off switch. 05s do not have them just a tow haul. If the truck says out of OD the boost stays up and there is no surge, maybe just a cheap temporary fix...

Should already have a ported housing. Sounds to me like turbine housing is too big or you need a smaller turbine wheel. Do you have a drive to boost pressure reading??

Just boost.. 45 psi WOT. About 48 WOT OD. I'm working on getting a drive pressure gauge.

Sent from my fancy thinking box

My 64/71/13 had the same surge so a larger turbine is not going to help. Rpm's are what's needed when towing . Keep them at 2000 or higher and you're good. BD has an overdrive lockout module.

Tapamaxxing

Yeah I looked at the BD mod... Rather make a switch myself.

I would be willing to bet drive pressures are low.

This doesn't make sense to me. Say I'm making 10 psi climbing a low grade. The turbo then starts to surge as boost/load increases. If I hold the throttle the surge will be light at first (gauge fluttering) then get worse to almost a turbo bark.
Same sound the turbo makes when the throttle is quickly lifted.
So wouldn't I have to high of drive pressure? The turbo making more boost then the motor can accept causing the wheel to flutter and psi going back out the filter.
Right?

I have a 64/65 and it surged as well. S300 frame so I added a ht3b to it and the surge event away.

Should already have a ported housing. Sounds to me like turbine housing is too big or you need a smaller turbine wheel. Do you have a drive to boost pressure reading??

Small wheel/housing is a big part of why its happening. Its trying to spin the compressor wheel harder than the turbine can support. Bigger turbine or smaller compressor is what is needed.

Whats the actual A/R of the exhaust housing? Should be cast in the volute inlet, and usually somewhere on the back of the housing.

He stated it was a 14 housing so that's a .80 a/r. I somewhat disagree on bigger turbine needed, The 68 turbine wheel is about perfect for the op setup. I believe drive pressures are low. I may be wrong, but a drive pressure reading will help.

Last edited:
I'm going to work on getting a DP gauge in the next few weeks. I really like this turbo other then the surging. Truck runs awesome just towing and hauling are a pain in the ass.
Thanks for the help I'll report back later.

Surge means the compressor is too big, it has nothing to do with the turbine.

They want to sell you a larger turbine because that will delay how soon it spools up. It will eliminate surge by reducing performance.

Last edited:
So why even build a 64/68/14 in the first place? Just cause its possible?
Performance only charger?

Back to ported housing, when I compare my compressor cover to a 7.3 ats ported shroud I'd say my shroud is not ported.

My batmo
avy6agy9.jpg

Ats ported shroud
gezy5ume.jpg

Am I not comparing apples to apples?

Last edited:
Yes and no.... look at a stock 7.3 cover. No map ring groove. Look at ats housing, has map ring. Look at batmo housing, has batmo "velocity bell" and also has a map ring groove. Under the velocity bell, you will see there is a gap before the casting starts for the compressor wheel bore.

I think poor compressor wheel design could contribute to surge. To high a trim ratio, where they keep the same exducer size to avoid cutting backplate and just up the inducer size and swap covers so it seems like you are getting a bigger turbo. Good marketing skeem.

Batmo wheels are good for surging a simple fix may be a turbo smart BOV, they work very well are very good quality and a fraction of the cost of bd. I have used them on twin turbo duramax's

I bought my turbo off a friend double batmo 64/68/14. I remember when I bought it he was saying he got a small wheel for better spooling.. I really didnt know much about turbos then so I bought it. Seemed like a good deal.

Im getting some pretty wicked surge in OD light throttle and low rpms, specifically when i am trying to pull hills w/ a loaded truck. If I let the truck continue in OD it will surge harder and harder till i lose all boost and have to let out of the throttle. I talked to bill at bulls-eye and he suggested I sent in the turbo for a bigger exhaust wheel. I do not have the time for this as my truck is a DD and it will cost $800.. :nail:

If my truck is empty it is very easy to drive around the surge per say..

I know on a 7.3 ps one can install a ported shroud to help with turbo surge. Is a ported shroud available for a S300??

I was also thinking about a OD off switch. 05s do not have them just a tow haul. If the truck says out of OD the boost stays up and there is no surge, maybe just a cheap temporary fix...

Bigger housing is probably the cheapest way around this. Or you can just keep the rpm up. I had an Aurora 4K that surged pretty bad at part throttle. I just kept the rpm above 1,800 and it was fine.

Thanks for the help. Bd OD off switch and DP gauge soon to be ordered.