turbo surge

So why even build a 64/68/14 in the first place? Just cause its possible?
Performance only charger?

That is what drives many people to do it, or they don't understand turbos and didn't know any better.

Batmo wheels are good for surging a simple fix may be a turbo smart BOV

A BOV will do nothing for surge. If your idea is to have it open at low speeds, that will drastically increase drive pressure and EGT.

True dat. Should probably get one anyway I feel a pain in my side every time I let out too quick

Sent from my fancy thinking box

I bought my turbo off a friend double batmo 64/68/14. I remember when I bought it he was saying he got a small wheel for better spooling.. I really didnt know much about turbos then so I bought it. Seemed like a good deal.

Im getting some pretty wicked surge in OD light throttle and low rpms, specifically when i am trying to pull hills w/ a loaded truck. If I let the truck continue in OD it will surge harder and harder till i lose all boost and have to let out of the throttle. I talked to bill at bulls-eye and he suggested I sent in the turbo for a bigger exhaust wheel. I do not have the time for this as my truck is a DD and it will cost $800.. :nail:

If my truck is empty it is very easy to drive around the surge per say..

I know on a 7.3 ps one can install a ported shroud to help with turbo surge. Is a ported shroud available for a S300??

I was also thinking about a OD off switch. 05s do not have them just a tow haul. If the truck says out of OD the boost stays up and there is no surge, maybe just a cheap temporary fix...

Your compressor wheel is trying to move more air than you need. Get rid of the 64 wheel and get a 62.

I put on my dp gauge tonight and it works very well. I'm about 1:1 at normal driving which is great. WOT I'm at 45 psi of boost and 60 psi of dp. Time to play with the waste gate a little and hopefully bring it back to 1:1.
I'm curious to see what happens when I tow since that's were I have the worst surging.

I run a 64/68/14 and have minimal surge issues. I also have plans of compounds which will completely eliminate surge (478 on the way!). The reason you are having bad surge issues is because your wheels are very similar in mass and weight. Maybe yours being a double batmo kills it or a lower elevation.

Last edited:
I run a 64/68/14 and have minimal surge issues. I also have plans of compounds which will completely eliminate surge (478 on the way!). The reason you are having bad surge issues is because your wheels are very similar in mass and weight. Maybe yours being a double batmo kills it or a lower elevation.

Are you saying the turbine wheel is close to the same mass as the compressor wheel? Have you ever held each one in your hand before? What would the mass of the wheels have to do with the surge of the charger?

Surge means the compressor is too big, it has nothing to do with the turbine.

They want to sell you a larger turbine because that will delay how soon it spools up. It will eliminate surge by reducing performance.

1345834178446.jpg

Broscience in this thread is speeding out of control

Are you saying the turbine wheel is close to the same mass as the compressor wheel? Have you ever held each one in your hand before? What would the mass of the wheels have to do with the surge of the charger?

Should've put more thought into it before hitting the submit button. Forgot they were made of different materials!

If you truly believe that, you're completely retarded!

Show me a turbine that surges.....
Please go back to Turbos 101.
Surge when the compressor airflow is running at the surge line (gee, maybe thats what they call it the surge line!?). If he upgraded to a smaller compressor his flow will be further to the right of the surge line when towing. Eliminating his problem. Using a bigger turbine will only make his turbo spool up slower and drastically hurt performance, using a smaller turbine will make it surge even more frequently.

Yet you loser trolls don't give zenzen_427 any crap for saying something TRULY retarded. Seriously, he. didn't. know. they. are. made. of. different. materials. :bang

Last edited:
Tormentor: report another post and see what happens. I dare ya. You can obviously can dish it, but cry for the Waaambulance once someone repeatedly hands your ass to you. Shut the fukk up and grow a pair.

Slow down guys. I keep breaking my pencil trying to write all this down.

Show me a turbine that surges.....
Please go back to Turbos 101.
Surge when the compressor airflow is running at the surge line (gee, maybe thats what they call it the surge line!?). If he upgraded to a smaller compressor his flow will be further to the right of the surge line when towing. Eliminating his problem. Using a bigger turbine will only make his turbo spool up slower and drastically hurt performance, using a smaller turbine will make it surge even more frequently.

Yet you loser trolls don't give zenzen_427 any crap for saying something TRULY retarded. Seriously, he. didn't. know. they. are. made. of. different. materials. :bang

That's case he owned it and moved on, you on the other hand will argue something until your red in the face, er... keyboard.

Well... Lol. I was WRONG about my dp. It is low. Just about all around its 10-15 psi lower then my boost. It's worst in overdrive at low rpms.
Is there anyway to increase my dp?

Play with smarty and timing?

Man up buy a stroker pump, so I can run smarty at lv 9?

I DO know they are made of different materials, just wasn't putting a lot of thought into my post. SOWWWWRRY