Turbo Wheel Lightening

I have no complaints with precision chargers.

It made more then a season of drag races on the dyno prior to that event. All well over 1100hp on fuel, with no signs of wear or failure. The 152mph pass was the first time we really put any spray to it, and I did not have the wastegate setup to handle it. It made well over 100lbs of boost that run.

Unless we are picked up for sponsorship by a turbo company we will be back running a precision charger next year.

Garrett Turbochargers and the Truth - Yellow Bullet Forums

I read the initial post, but the next several pages seemed like alot of non-information. Would you mind to give a couple sentence synopsis for those who can't weed through 69 pages right now?

PTE is pushing everything to the absolute limits to get more and more out of them.

So why does it surprise anyone that PTE units blow periodically? It's not like their stuff goes into bulldozers and gensets....they go into apps where we all know it will be hell.

AFAIK they do not have a gas stand and do not do burst & containment (B&C) testing in-house. Maybe they pay someone to do it, maybe they just use customer cars to figure it out. You be the judge on that one.

Not just to pick on them, Bullseye claims to have a gas stand, yet has anyone ever seen any map out of it? Batmo vs non batmo testing? Hmmm.....I see nothing.

Last edited:
Why does cat favor the boreless GTA structure over GT? Durability, production cost, tamper resistance?

Resistance to low cycle fatigue, which in summary is idle-full throttle-idle all day long for years. Garbage trucks, bulldozers, etc. The boreless design works for that when it operates within the original design envelope. That design extends wheel life a lot. There was a patent on it, look that up for the details.

Cost would be about the same and tamper resistance has zero to do with it IMO.

Last edited:
Companies like Borg warner test to the absolute limits of turbo technology and have raceing specific turbo's as well, there not a OEM, or Formula one supplyer because they work out of a barn...

Quality and reliabilty and performance are all part of one equation, BW has figured out.

Precision may make a good turbo, but there failing at alarming rates, and have helped cause more injury's than you think.

There the total reason there is now a SS SFI housing mandate in PM, ONLY there turbo's were flying apart nearly killing people in the stands and drivers of PM.

Now these thing could be eliminated if there saftey factor was higher, or tuners would keep wheel speed in check....but who does that...Problem was PTC has NO paper work to go by, for wheel speed limits or containment testing prior to this.

PTC is a aftermarket turbo company, many aftermarket companies make racing type turbo's, most based on BW turbo's and dont have as many issue's...just sayin

Companies like Garrett test to the absolute limits of turbo technology and have racing specific turbos as well. They're not a OEM or LeMans supplier because they work out of a barn...

Quality, reliability, and performance are all part of the equation Garrett has figured out.

Stated for unbiased balance, minus the sponsor hype....and improved grammar.

And it's PTE, for crying out loud.

Last edited:
I read the initial post, but the next several pages seemed like alot of non-information. Would you mind to give a couple sentence synopsis for those who can't weed through 69 pages right now?

Basically what the initial post says from Garrett. That PTE was taking garrett units, machining down the shafts and then blaming bad oil, etc for the failures and not warranting the turbos.

That's basically it in a nutshell

Basically what the initial post says from Garrett. That PTE was taking garrett units, machining down the shafts and then blaming bad oil, etc for the failures and not warranting the turbos.

So... BD?

Well, there's more. Some of the failed string of ProMod turbos were not Garrett parts, they were PTE's own parts sourced from another company. The specific parts with the problem were turbine wheel-shaft assemblies. They got "a bad batch" and some folks (the headliners) got them repaired free while others (lesser knowns) got left holding the bag with iffy failure analyses, and smashed up cars, with no recourse.

Garrett stopped supplying parts to PTE a long time ago so you have to be careful about what gets attributed to what. For the last several years all failures land squarely on PTE's shoulders.

Not just to pick on them, Bullseye claims to have a gas stand, yet has anyone ever seen any map out of it? Batmo vs non batmo testing? Hmmm.....I see nothing.

This map has been around for a while, but I doubt you'll see it on Bullseye's website :hehe:

batmovsborg_zps382964ba.jpg

Last edited:
This map has been around for a while, but I doubt you'll see it on Bullseye's website :hehe:

batmovsborg_zps382964ba.jpg

While this is awesome all together, I'd like to see a map of a Double Batmo Wheel ! :hehe:

Funny story while were on the Batmo subject. While I had a talk with a buddy not too long ago, we were discussing a charger setup of a local puller. Guy had stated that he had a clipped Batmo 2.6 Charger. And my buddy looked and me and stated, Well no chit it don't wanna run, you clipped its wings. It can't fly. LOL