Turbo Wheel Lightening

The nose on my tool has a 1/32 radius. It should suffice. Unfortunately I can't, there's a speed sensor I'll be utilizing and there's a notch in the shaft I need. I could cut and leave an island I suppose though.
By daisy petal you're talking drilling a series of holes? I think drilling into it would ruin its structural integrity. I'd prefer to groove it or remove that material. Considering this wheel is modeled after a cast aluminum wheel there's PLENTY of strength.

I didn't think that turbine bore was radiused.
Cut reliefs in the super back like the holes in the wheel. Leave spokes. Blend all the cuts. Pretty much just leave spines/spokes where you cut it down. I can't really find a picture that suits me

From my Not-So-Smart phone

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1381888555079.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1381888555079.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Let's consider all the R&D these turbo manufacturers put into these wheels, now, let's consider what RPM a turbo spins, next, let's consider what one of the blades is gonna do when it comes out of the turbo.

If you're aren't getting my point, it's phuacing dangerous.

I didn't think that turbine bore was radiused.
Cut reliefs in the super back like the holes in the wheel. Leave spokes. Blend all the cuts. Pretty much just leave spines/spokes where you cut it down. I can't really find a picture that suits me

That's actually not too bad a thought. Could get more aggressive with it as well. I've hit my 1/4 pound target however. Anything else is extra and an extra risk.

What's gonna be left to remove to balance the wheel?

There's still plenty to be removed, major diameter, and the nose still have material on the compressor.
The turbine has plenty behind the wheel and again on the nose.

Lost 70 grams here. I may groove it a tad.

Which compressor and turbine wheels are you working with. A 1/4 pound is my goal too.

Let's consider all the R&D these turbo manufacturers put into these wheels, now, let's consider what RPM a turbo spins, next, let's consider what one of the blades is gonna do when it comes out of the turbo.

If you're aren't getting my point, it's phuacing dangerous.

These are competion level upgrades. Not something that someone should do on their daily driver. Anybody at this level of should plan for failures. They will happen! No guts, no glory :hehe:

And.....
One of the things that the manufacturers R&D plan for, is wheel failures. So their housings are designed to contain the parts in the event of a failure. With that being said, if you're using OEM housing you should be OK, just don't try this on a Chinese clone. I'd make sure that you have the cross bars in the exhaust too.

Personally, I wouldn't do this on a high pressure single, they're already pretty stressed. But I'm not too worried about doing it on a low pressure primary, where it's going to be well within the map.

Last edited:
Which compressor and turbine wheels are you working with. A 1/4 pound is my goal too.

These are competion level upgrades. Not something that someone should do on their daily driver. Anybody at this level of should plan for failures. They will happen! No guts, no glory :hehe:

And.....
One of the things that the manufacturers R&D plan for, is wheel failures. So their housings are designed to contain the parts in the event of a failure. With that being said, if you're using OEM housing you should be OK, just don't try this on a Chinese clone. I'd make sure that you have the cross bars in the exhaust too.

Personally, I wouldn't do this on a high pressure single, they're already pretty stressed. But I'm not too worried about doing it on a low pressure primary, where it's going to be well within the map.

He551ve, Volvo series with a titanium compressor.

This is going to be a DD, and a single. The titanium will hold. The inconel should as well. I'll be sending these off for balance soon.

What is the plan for measuring rpm? Yeah, I know speed sensor, notch etc. Care to share any details? or Do they come stock on this titanium wizard wheel turbo? hopefully the balance guy has good things to say, not "its gonna splode! dummy!" "dont do it" etc.

I do believe in taking precautions for safety, but I think it will be a good enough test when the boots blow off the first time, and it doesn't explode.

What is the plan for measuring rpm? Yeah, I know speed sensor, notch etc. Care to share any details? or Do they come stock on this titanium wizard wheel turbo? hopefully the balance guy has good things to say, not "its gonna splode! dummy!" "dont do it" etc.

I do believe in taking precautions for safety, but I think it will be a good enough test when the boots blow off the first time, and it doesn't explode.

All of the vgts come with them, this ones just extra special haha

Something to read for wheel lighteners.

BTW, I have never seen any lightened wheels in racing engines, in what kind of competitions are they used and at what level ?

Attachments

• Turbiini design.jpg
    Turbiini design.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Kompura design.jpg
    Kompura design.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 0
Something to read for wheel lighteners.

BTW, I have never seen any lightened wheels in racing engines, in what kind of competitions are they used and at what level ?

Good read, answers a lot of my questions from earlier. I'm curious as to how the stress will compare to the titanium against the aluminum.

One of the things that the manufacturers R&D plan for, is wheel failures. So their housings are designed to contain the parts in the event of a failure. With that being said, if you're using OEM housing you should be OK, just don't try this on a Chinese clone.

This was original unmodified Garrett GTA4702

Attachments

• 14052010(001).jpg
    14052010(001).jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 14052010.jpg
    14052010.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 0
Titanium is heavier than aluminum. Although it is machined thinner due to strength. It still has more mass to rotate.

Titanium is heavier than aluminum. Although it is machined thinner due to strength. It still has more mass to rotate.

Correction....Ti is denser, and no, they are not always cast thinner than their Al counterparts if the aero package is the same.

Bramante, you have a whole lotta reading to do.....

Last edited:

This isn't thin at all... Blades are thicker than the cast on my other 551. It's a HEAVY wheel. There's a reason it's getting a diet.

So where is this project? I thought someone was doing FEA to see if it would explode their computer screen.

Back