Turbo Wheel Lightening

Please test this in a garage or where no one is around... Better yet dont test it at all...heed the warning.

This is a small crappy pic, but it's how some are doing it on competition turbos.

ModifiedTurbineWheel_zpsd4e06846.png

Lightening at the center of the hub helps almost nothing in spool up but makes it much weaker. I hope you dont hurt anybody with the shrapnel.

There is still a lot of material there. More than enough to do its job. I do understand at a smaller diameter it's less effective but it's still a 1/4 pound. That's a hell of a lot of weight for a rotating object.

Just called up an expert on this and removing the core isn't an issue, grooving the back side will yield the greatest gains though. Which I expected.

From what I can see it looks like they're milling down the entire hub to a smaller diameter.

Yeah, the nut has been milled, some of the hub between the blades has been milled out, and the blades have been clipped a little too.

It's supposed to spool quicker, and have higher flow.

You really shouldn't have removed the superback on the compressor wheel.

Why would someone make it round, if that's the case just get rid of it all together

This is done for flow, I wouldn't go about it if all you were looking for is reduced lag. Understand that the blade face surface area is increased while slimming the hub, this inherently makes the wheel larger. To an extent it is similar to increasing the size of the wheel itself, but accomplished by moving in rather than moving out.

This is done for flow, I wouldn't go about it if all you were looking for is reduced lag. Understand that the blade face surface area is increased while slimming the hub, this inherently makes the wheel larger. To an extent it is similar to increasing the size of the wheel itself, but accomplished by moving in rather than moving out.

This would make sense if the root of the blades were cut deeper. Removing the end of the hub, the "nut", won't increase this surface area of the blades.

They are, it's clearly shown in the picture.

I take that back, that really makes no sense. More blade surface without increasing the major diameter means a smaller hub. This makes more usable blade area (more leverage) with a lighter wheel (because of hub material removal). So more leverage and a lighter wheel means faster spool. The cost is manufacturing expense, and lower burst rpm. How much lower is questionable.

I take that back, that really makes no sense. More blade surface without increasing the major diameter means a smaller hub. This makes more usable blade area (more leverage) with a lighter wheel (because of hub material removal). So more leverage and a lighter wheel means faster spool. The cost is manufacturing expense, and lower burst rpm. How much lower is questionable.

I don't know anything, but the logic there is sound. I'm curious about harmonics and speed changes.

I thought you were going to machine a daisy pedal into the super back.
Not cut it off.

I would like to see you radius your cuts to provide stress relief, and see you cut the main shaft down between the journal bearings.
I don't have a pic, but think of a cross section shaped like an hour glass.

From my Not-So-Smart phone

I don't know anything, but the logic there is sound. I'm curious about harmonics and speed changes.

I thought you were going to machine a daisy pedal into the super back.
Not cut it off.

I would like to see you radius your cuts to provide stress relief, and see you cut the main shaft down between the journal bearings.
I don't have a pic, but think of a cross section shaped like an hour glass.

From my Not-So-Smart phone

The nose on my tool has a 1/32 radius. It should suffice. Unfortunately I can't, there's a speed sensor I'll be utilizing and there's a notch in the shaft I need. I could cut and leave an island I suppose though.
By daisy petal you're talking drilling a series of holes? I think drilling into it would ruin its structural integrity. I'd prefer to groove it or remove that material. Considering this wheel is modeled after a cast aluminum wheel there's PLENTY of strength.