Turbo Wheel Lightening

cool idea

Dunno if it will work but cool idea. Hopefully you will havethe balls to post up if it a utter catastrophe. And not let the thread go dormant with zero results. Kudos for thinking about it. And mad props if it works and lasts.

Just as a brief update.....

I've been contacted by a few, most of which preferred to stay un-named. Lightening is being done out there, mostly on competition turbos. Thanks to the ones that offered some pointers.

Plus, I talked to a shop that has done some work for me in the past. He has done it for a number of customers, and said to bring mine by to go over specifics. For my particular turbo, removing a 1/4 pound from the rotating mass shouldn't be a problem.

This turbo will be the primary (63 or 64/88 combo) on a new engine I'm just starting, so it'll be a while before I have any results. There's a chance I'll test it on the current engine depending on how long it takes. But I'll keep ya posted either way.

If you can somehow get it 3D scanned into a solidworks model I'll throw it in the ANSYS stress analysis software and give you a better idea if it'll burst. That inconel is going to be a b!tch to machine. I'd anneal both pieces after machining.

I've been contacted by a few, most of which preferred to stay un-named. Lightening is being done out there, mostly on competition turbos. Thanks to the ones that offered some pointers.

Plus, I talked to a shop that has done some work for me in the past. He has done it for a number of customers, and said to bring mine by to go over specifics. For my particular turbo, removing a 1/4 pound from the rotating mass shouldn't be a problem.

This turbo will be the primary (63 or 64/88 combo) on a new engine I'm just starting, so it'll be a while before I have any results. There's a chance I'll test it on the current engine depending on how long it takes. But I'll keep ya posted either way.

Keep in mind the exducer size difference on these. Cast vs Cast the 64 uses the same wheel as the 66 at 91.4mm exducer. Flow rates are pretty much identical. Tryin to remember what the exducer was on the 63s, Ill go out in the warehouse and measure one quick.

Another thought I had, if it does have an easy burst ability. Wondering if a FMW vs of it would be easier to lighten, beings they say the FMW tends to be stronger?

On these competiton set ups that are being lightened, are they high pressure set ups like a single, or on a lower pressure set up like your twins?

Keep in mind the exducer size difference on these. Cast vs Cast the 64 uses the same wheel as the 66 at 91.4mm exducer. Flow rates are pretty much identical. Tryin to remember what the exducer was on the 63s, Ill go out in the warehouse and measure one quick.

I'm leaning toward the 63/68, but the 64 is an option. I'll probably run my current 62mm on top for a little while a then decide. Just trying to get as much air as possible, but still have decent spooling

Another thought I had, if it does have an easy burst ability. Wondering if a FMW vs of it would be easier to lighten, beings they say the FMW tends to be stronger?

I would think the FMW would hold up better, but it's a bigger lose if it fails :doh:

From what I've learned in the past few days, the places that do lightening concentrate on the turbine wheel. They just have a lot more weight that can be removed without compromising integrity. Plus, if it fails, it goes out the exhaust instead of through the motor.

At this point, I'm sure I'm going to have the shop lighten the turbine. Supposedly there's 100grams there. Still researching the compressor wheel before I start drilling holes though. Although, I had it on the lathe yesterday and lost 15 grams with just some minor work.

On these competiton set ups that are being lightened, are they high pressure set ups like a single, or on a lower pressure set up like your twins?

The local guy does them for gassers running singles or real twins. So the PRs are probably what I'll run or maybe less. Some of the shops out there on the Interweb do them for pulling tractors. So I would imagine they get pushed pretty hard.

Did some experimenting myself.... Lost about 30 grams on this wh1c wheel I had kicking around. .5"dia 1" depth plunge into the end.

9asaqyqu.jpg

I'm pretty confident I can lose a 1/4 pound out of my 551 between the compressor and the turbine.

8eqe6ere.jpg

Did some experimenting myself.... Lost about 30 grams on this wh1c wheel I had kicking around. .5"dia 1" depth plunge into the end.

9asaqyqu.jpg

I'm pretty confident I can lose a 1/4 pound out of my 551 between the compressor and the turbine.

8eqe6ere.jpg

Lightening at the center of the hub helps almost nothing in spool up but makes it much weaker. I hope you dont hurt anybody with the shrapnel.

Lightening at the center of the hub helps almost nothing in spool up but makes it much weaker. I hope you dont hurt anybody with the shrapnel.

Agreed.

While yes it's 30 grams less, the weight on the outside of the wheel is what's slowing you down.To compare from a turbo standpoint, look at the differance in Garrett and Comp turbo turbines. The garrett may be slightly "slower to spool" because of the trim of the blades, but once it gets moving you can maintain it all the way to the finish. Whereas with the zero trim the outside edge ends up heavier (even if both turbine wheels were to scale the same) because with a flat blade the weight is distributed to the outside moreso than one that has been tapered.

In other words, pick your battle wisely, the comp has more turbine flow which may be ideal as a secondary as you won't have to gate around it as much and have another turbo there to keep you going, but as a single you run out of push at some point due to weight of the turbine over a Garrett per say.

Make sense?!