Twin delima....

I think it caught a lot of them, but I don't think it caught them all, at least not enough to load the family up and head 70 miles back into the boonies and have a bearing fail.

The biggest particles were caught, but the main wear causing particles are generally 5-8um and the meshing of gearing and rubbing of gears was filing the pieces so there are an immense amount of small particles. The oil filter I run has the best flow/filtration ratings of any ISB full flow. It's 15um absolute (98.7%) and 7um at 59%. Anyhow oil filters are muti-pass rated, so particles got thru and how many and what damage was done cannot be known until it's out. I also have a 2um bypass, but that only filters 10% of the oil at a time and is there to polish the oil, not prevent big particles from going thru. The oil filter did catch a LOT of materiel, but how many tries did it take? The filters job is to catch normal wear and tear particles, not a rapid influx of small failure materiel. If the filter did it's job then the block will be fine and just new bearings are all that's needed.

The motor ran for at least 45 minutes after the oil pump housing failed, but with the road conditions being noisy it could have been longer. The metal materiel in the filter had a steel and copper tinge to it. It's prudent to tank the motor and replace all the bearings, so really the only added work is the machine/balance work and might as well with it apart. I'll upgrade the pistons/nozzles/cam/springs/pushrods, but otherwise it's just an extensive inspection.

It didn't run fractured for very long or the pieces separated immediately. It has no contact on the face of the fracture in the photo you posted.

I can't blame you, but I would have been tempted to do an oil analysis and PM with minimum repairs and kept running until another analysis showed a trend.

From my Not-So-Smart phone

It didn't run fractured for very long or the pieces separated immediately. It has no contact on the face of the fracture in the photo you posted.

I can't blame you, but I would have been tempted to do an oil analysis and PM with minimum repairs and kept running until another analysis showed a trend.

From my Not-So-Smart phone

I think they separated immediately, but it stayed close and the idler gear was still in operation. The direction of rotation would have forced the idler gear back into the "good" part of the pump housing. The cockeyed idler gear pinned the broken piece, hence the wear mark.

If it weren't for a damaged cam gear and crank gear I would agree. To fix the crank the motor has to come out, and I don't want to pay for engine R&R twice. If it comes out it's getting refreshed.

On the topic of this thread, twins are looking like they are out of the budget.

Last edited:
Well, back on topic. I just talked with Chris from ED on a custom S300/S400 compound setup. Very informational and knowledgeable. I think I am going this route. Would love to have a set of Garrett's but a purpose built set of BW's is awesome in itself.

I am running my stock turbo(approx. over 130k on stock ) on top of an S478 and like how it runs.. Would a Garrett for my secondary help for even better spool and less back pressure? Not looking to do anything now just wondering when it is time to replace the stocker what my choices are.. Any recommendations? Will the Garrett turbos be a direct swap for a 2004.5 stocker or would piping need to change?
Thanks..

I am running my stock turbo(approx. over 130k on stock ) on top of an S478 and like how it runs.. Would a Garrett for my secondary help for even better spool and less back pressure? Not looking to do anything now just wondering when it is time to replace the stocker what my choices are.. Any recommendations? Will the Garrett turbos be a direct swap for a 2004.5 stocker or would piping need to change?
Thanks..

No idea man. You'll have to ask the experts on that one.

I should have done better measuring when I installed my Garrett. I know they are close, but not sure if it's close enough for a twin kit.