Twins questions.

I don't know if you're agreeing with the previous comment, or what. I plan to powdercoat all the pipe, so it doesn't need to be "pretty". Mild steel, with the right thickness, will stop a bullet fired from 50 meters, at 2000+ fps..... so I figure mild steel is good for my set up as well. But if I need to get better (read stronger, more resistant) stuff for the hot pipe, I'll do it. Maybe I can find some header wrap in pink...........

Edit: haven't found pink header wrap, but I did find pink engine enamel!!!!!
VHT SP756 - VHT Engine Enamels - Overview - SummitRacing.com

still no pink but, some colors that might interest you :)

http://www.verociousmotorsports.com/Shop-by-Brand/Heatshield-Wraps/Heatshield-Exhaust-Wrap-Colored

I'm not sure where to get some but I've seen some inconel heat shields that looked pretty trick and are supposed to work really well and they wouldn't rot like header wrap. Although they don't look cheap
db_27_garrett_t100_100282.jpg

Red might also look good with the pink.

Source Automotive sells pre-made hoses too: 1994-2002 Dodge Cummins 5.9L: Source Automotive Performance Diesel

For the drains pipe or oil resistant hose works fine.

The only other pipe will be from the air filter to the primary, boot needed there?

Some do, others just use a rubber elbow. If you mount the intake pipe and cold pipe together so the move with the engine you shouldn't need a boot. If the filter is mounted to the fender though, you might want one for when the engine moves under load.

Last edited:
I have built a few twin sets. The same mild steel piping that you use for exhaust / cold pipe, can be used just fine for the hot pipe. The caveat to that is that it cannot support the weight of the turbo, so a support bracket must be added.

If you want a clean look with some flexibility try these: - Hargett Precision Products The only thing about them is that you need to run aluminum charge piping.

The hx35 over the GT4294 works just fine. I would either use an external gate or drill out the wastegate hole on the hx35, and probably right through so both volutes are gated. This setup should be good for ~600hp.

Everyone has to quit teasing me with "600 hp". I have a vp truck, I won't believe in 600 hp until I have the dyno chart in my hands. I've pretty much decided on wrapping the hot pipe in black exhaust wrap. Pink will get dirty fast. The other pipes will be powdercoated, and therefore, easy to clean. But I can see me now, pulling the hot pipe off, rewrapping it, and then repainting it so it's "pretty" again.

(BTW, thanks to everyone for not giving me crap about wanting the piping to look good and be pretty, I was really expecting to get some comments about how it doesn't have to be pretty to work, or how it's sacrilege to put pink parts on a truck)

You guys are all EXTREMELY helpful. This is saving me countless hours of time in front of the computer being frustrated.

Some do, others just use a rubber elbow. If you mount the intake pipe and cold pipe together so the move with the engine you shouldn't need a boot. If the filter is mounted to the fender though, you might want one for when the engine moves under load.

I would like to route the filter back to the stock location. I was trying to fab up something in my head to secure it. Here's what I'm thinking. Maybe a piece of channel, about 1x1, bolted to the fender, and a big ass U bolt (I'm sure I can find one big enough) to go over the pipe, with a little wiggle room. I can get a piece of rubber hose, or some of that wire loom stuff to put over the u bolt to keep it from scraping the pipe too much. That way, the pipe is "held down", but not so tight it can't move a little. Thoughts?

send the stuff out and have the high temp coating applied to it. i think in the long run the hi temp paint will come off, but you could try it. i have heard of guys using the BBQ Black hi temp rattle can paint.

The hi temp bbq paint is holding up nicely on my stacks but I don't know how it would handle the hot pipe.

black header paint works just fine. its on my header now and has seen 1600+.

Garrett

OK, I'm basing my piping off of the BD kit, and they list an "intercooler extension pipe". Does anyone know what the difference in this is from the stock pipe? (longer, different angle, etc?)

Ok, next question, what size is the v-band on the exhaust housing of the hx35?

So, the OD of the flange on the exhaust housing is 2.5 inches? I need to know what size flange to buy weld to the hot pipe......

I would highly recomend buying the flange from someone who specificly machines an HX35 flange. Holset v-band flanges are different from Garrett (very popular in the aftermarket)

So, the OD of the flange on the exhaust housing is 2.5 inches? I need to know what size flange to buy weld to the hot pipe......

the OD of the flange is just over 3", which only accepts 2.5" pipe on the inside of it. thats measured on the charger itself.

Garrett