Twins Suggestions

ShaferDiesel

Way To Small!
I'm tired of running under/oversized turbos. just dang tired of it. So now I hope I have tried enough combos that you guys can throw some numbers out for me based on what I have run!

Btw, this is on my stupid little detroit powered toyota...

Ran a 351CW over an HX40, hot damn instant spool! Shredded the 351, but had the w/g set at 35 psi, and thrust bearings ate ****.

I ran a 351CW over a TV8405 for about a week, wastegate set at 20 psi, brand new 351 was junk in less than a week, lotsa radial play, thrust OK. Too much for it. Spooled a little slow and didn't flow enough at midrange. TV8405 is too big, it peaked at 16 lbs itself. Peak power was awsome though! Maybe a 351 would be ok with a smaller atmo that spooled easier?

Now I'm running a brand new H1E as a single. 60mm / 83mm with a 22mm housing. It spools nice with an air temp of 40 deg or colder, it gets a little sluggish in warm weather. Peak boost is 28 psi. I'm sure a spool flange would make it just sweet. By far best single I have run on it, beats the stock turbo hands down, but peak power is not quite what the TV8405 did above.

So, maybe that give some of you smarter guys an idea of what I'm flowing. so shoot away, I want some ideas, and at this point I'm not scared to sink a little money into it, even though I'm broke! I wanna know what two turbo's to go buy to make this thing run right.

2.6 liter, 2 stroke. 4000 rpm. Ve 1.20 non-turbo. 155mm's of fuel. Never been on a dyno, but she's over 300 hp just by how she pulls a 12k lb trailer compared to my dodge. I need more!

Should flow about like a 6.7 cummins.

Last edited:
How does the 22cm housing on my H1E compare to the housing on this.

BorgWarner Airwerks S362 FMW (Forged Milled Wheel)

Compressor flow is over 74lb/min

Wheel Dimensions:

Compressor: FMW 7/7 blade, 61.44 mm inducer / 84.3 mm exducer, with exclusive Extended Tip Technology.

Turbine: 76 mm inducer, 68 mm exducer. Cast in Inconel 713 for high-temperature operation.

Housing A/R: .88

Compressor: Large 4.00" ported anti-surge air inlet / 3.00" charge pipe outlet

Turbine: .88, with 'T4-style', Open entry, and 4.21" v-band discharge.
I'm guessing the S362 with the .88 housing will be a quicker spooling turbo than my H1E with 22cm housing, with just a little better compressor flow. but that's just a gut feeling. Any thoughts?

Get the .91 divided housing.

Fwiw, the HX40 and HE351 had the same compressor wheel.

Ok, what's the reasoning for the devided housing? What's his name at Bell Turbo insists that I should not run devided housings, he says they play hell with backpressure on these engines. Just wondering, as I've run devided and undevided with no ill effects.

I missed where it said 2 stroke. I don't know if that changes the exhaust flow or not. I wouldn't think so.

Holset CM to A/R is difficult to convert.

Iirc, Divided housings keep the exhaust pulses from causing turbulence. This helps spooling if you have a divided exhaust manifold.

Makes sense, but since I don't have a devided manifold...

Since my HX40 is a 1.69, maybe this would be better as the primary? S466 .90 A/R T4 W/83MM TURBINE

My HX40 can hit 15 lbs by 1500 rpm, at 25 at 1800, Cruise at 55 is 1500 rpm so I need something about 200 rpm quicker for easy street driving. If that littl 362 is that much lower A/R it might be too small?

Last edited:
Was the HE351cw's wastegate operational? Was it a genuine holset or an ebay cdm knockoff?

I am surprised by your lack of success there, I have had good luck with that charger.

For your power level, I would think that the HE351cw (with a functional wastegate, preferably bored out) and an S467 or S472 would be a nice pair.

Yes the wastegate did work, and I had it bored to 1.125. It was a good genuine takeoff first, and that lasted a couple weeks, and then I put a genuine cartridge in it that I trashed in less than a week.

I also think a 472 might be too small, but I dunno. This little engine starts out with a VE of 1.20 without turbos, and is equivelent to 5.2 liter in a 4 stroke, and that throws a lot of people off and it's hard to get someone willing to throw in their 2 cents because of that!

Yes the wastegate did work, and I had it bored to 1.125. It was a good genuine takeoff first, and that lasted a couple weeks, and then I put a genuine cartridge in it that I trashed in less than a week.

I also think a 472 might be too small, but I dunno. This little engine starts out with a VE of 1.20 without turbos, and is equivelent to 5.2 liter in a 4 stroke, and that throws a lot of people off and it's hard to get someone willing to throw in their 2 cents because of that!

To a certain extent, power is power, flow is flow.

You have the "equivalent" of a 318CID 4 stroke engine, so it's not that far off of a 5.9. Shoot for the lower end of chargers, and you should be golden.

That being said, if a HE351 didn't hold up, my next thought would be a 57/65/14 S200/S300 based turbo. That's my towing charger of choice for a stockish horsepower 5.9L, and it works well.

If you want twins, I'd stack a S472 on it and roll on. Should be less than $1500 for 2 brand new chargers, and roll out. If you need better prices, I think I might have some stuff laying around that I need to clean up if you're interested.

Chris