Twins Suggestions

Thanks Chris, I still think I need way more than what a "stock-ish" 5.9 would use, because my VE is so much higher. a 5.9 is 70% VE or so, and approaches the 90s with more power. Mine is already 120% NA, and turbo'd just goes up from there, so my flow is going to be greater. That's why I guessed a 6.7 might be a closer match earlier. I'm not trying to sound smart or be stubborn, although I'm probably both lol! I just know how bad an hx35 chokes me off... and that it kinda works ok on a 5.9!

Thanks Chris, I still think I need way more than what a "stock-ish" 5.9 would use, because my VE is so much higher. a 5.9 is 70% VE or so, and approaches the 90s with more power. Mine is already 120% NA, and turbo'd just goes up from there, so my flow is going to be greater. That's why I guessed a 6.7 might be a closer match earlier. I'm not trying to sound smart or be stubborn, although I'm probably both lol! I just know how bad an hx35 chokes me off... and that it kinda works ok on a 5.9!

Do you want it to run down the road, or pull down the track?

Chris

The only place you'll choke the secondary is with turbine flow, the S300g turbo flows a lot better on the turbine then an HX35 or HE351. You could also add an external waste gate if it can't control enough flow on its own. A 1.32 housing with a 96mm turbine wheel S400 will flow a lot of exhaust as well so I wouldn't worry about that causing an issue. Have u ever measured back pressure?

If you're worried about turbine flow, you have two options....open it up, and lose some street manners, or wastegate it.

Chris

The only place you'll choke the secondary is with turbine flow, the S300g turbo flows a lot better on the turbine then an HX35 or HE351. You could also add an external waste gate if it can't control enough flow on its own. A 1.32 housing with a 96mm turbine wheel S400 will flow a lot of exhaust as well so I wouldn't worry about that causing an issue. Have u ever measured back pressure?

Cool, no I have not measured back pressure, but I wouldn't be surprised if it has been near a hundred with some of the setups I've tried.

This is a sled puller first, but I drive it on the road more than any of my other vehicles just because it's so much fun. It's actually a great work truck that kicks ass at the track on weekends. That's why twins are important too me, a drivable single just won't pull that well.

You'll have to make a choice at some point. Or gate the ever loving hell out of the chargers.

Chris

Cool. Good luck.

I've not messed with 2 strokes a whole lot, but I've tried most normal charger options, as well as some that are a little more unconventional.

Towing and sledpulling is going to be tough.
Chris

Well I sure appreciate all the help! Since I'm so stubborn how will the S362 .89 spool compared to my 22cm H1E? If I light the E at 1500, will the 362 light around 1300 maybe? Both as a single of course, apples to apples for now.

BTW, here's some more fun, 70 mph burnout in the shop lol!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O_MQBaqSPo&feature=youtu.be

You can see the velocity coming out the 5" stack, ain't no puny stock 5.9! That's the HE351CW/montser at about 45 lbs.

Last edited:
The issue is you can only gain so much on the low end before you start giving it up on the big end. As you are seeing with your H1E, which on the compressor side is an Hx40 (and slightly smaller than an HE351cw which iirc is a 60mm inducer 86mm exducer). However the turbine side depending on which one it is: They range from a 70mm turbine inducer x 60mm turbine exducer [exact same size as an HE351cw], to a 76mm turbine inducer x 67mm turbine exducer. With several in between.

So the first thing we need to know is what turbine wheel you have on the H1E, but regardless this is why I am so surprised that the HE351cw was having so many issues, as gated it will still easily handle anything even the 76/67mm version of the H1E will un-gated.

When you ran the HE351cw over an hx40 (for all intensive purpose's it is like trying to compound to identical chargers, which would have made for some major drive pressure issues.) You beat out the thrust bearing, which has been a typical sign of overspeed in my experience.

However when you ran it with the TV8405 it was the radial play that was the issue not the thrust. Not sure what the cause would be without examining the charger.

In any case the easiest thing might be to try and find a 16cm or 18cm housing or so for the H1E, and then run that as your secondary, and then pickup an S467 or S472 as I originally mentioned. For the horsepower you seem to be shooting for I still don't see the need to go beyond the basic box stock S467 1.1 A/R 83mm turbine on the primary. However if you really do feel like that is not enough turbine then the box stock S472 1.1 A/R 87mm turbine is the place to go.