Twins support on 12v

oil-burner

Wondering how the 12v guys are supporting the lower turbo in a twins set up ? Don't trust a 50-lb turbo hanging off of the hot pipe.

scot

On my hot pipe the wastegate pipe serves as the support for the bottom turbo. I have run this setup for 2yrs on a stock manifold and have not had any problems.

Lavon
hot_pipe.jpg

i was going to build a support bracket for my bottom charger but when i rebuilt my setup for the 62/13 i saw how much the downpipe (if built correctly) does support the top charger. i removed my old hybrid from the manifold and unbolted the hotpipe and the bottom charger didnt move at all, i was surprised and decided then to not bother with a support bracket. i may make one in the furture but i have seen more than a few twin systems that use this same method and have not see a problem yet.

was looking at the source automotive bracket, can't figure out how it mounts ?

scot

holds the chargers up by the oil drains, then bolts to the block with existing holes.

When I built mine I wasn't worried about 50lbs of turbo hanging off the hotpipe, but I was worried about the manifold support that kind of weight. Sounds like some people have been fine without a support, but for myself I'd rather be safe than sorry.

For my support it bolts to the big turbo oil drain and then to the bottom of the block where the oil pan bolts in. Works great so far.

My first setup had a strap from the downpipe to the bellhousing adapter plate. Rip's 12v kit bolts from the motor mount to the bellhousing plate. If you have a STORM block with the second oil drain, you can use the 3 tapped mounting holes around the rear oil drain to support it by the oil drain.

Trapper said:
Brandon any pics of your current set-up?
Kinda. Use the forum email function to email me and I can send the two that I have.

Twins have been hanging like that for years. I have a stock 24V manifold on my Third Gen. Hasn't cracked yet but it will I'm sure.

Oil Burner thiers your twins man, CC12V can build you up some nice stuff:poke: I've seen 3 of his set ups and they run pretty good.

oil-burner said:
Wondering how the 12v guys are supporting the lower turbo in a twins set up ? Don't trust a 50-lb turbo hanging off of the hot pipe.

scot

Rips twins

built a bracket that serves as an oil drain and bolts to the transmission housing and some existing holes in the block and mounts... with a couple of bolts.. works great... but its for an s400

Rick

Jim Fulmer said:
Greg, I want to know were you got that turbo flange, it's too sweet!

Jim

Jim,

It's the stock oil drain tube. I built the brace out of 2x2 angle (part on the block) and 1 1/4x1 1/4 ange (leg under turbo). Then I drilled a hole in the 1 1/4 angle with a unibit so the drain tube would fit through but still support the flange. Tacked the flange to the angle, then cut and pieced back together the drain tube to fit the new position.

:)

Last edited:
Back