Twins, twins, twins, twins..........

Boy it sure is hard to make a twin turbo decision these days. So many kits, so variable in price, don't go to small, don't go to big. Buy these ones, don't buy those ones. Man am I lost!!!! So I'm gonna ask everyone here for their opinions. So here goes and sorry for the novel but this guy needs some help........

I'm ready for twins as far as mods so I'm looking for fast spool. I'm going to start out with my stock injectors and then later possibly go to a 90hp max. My converter is a bit tight so I need a good spooling set so I can't go huge and don't want to go full race style. I don't want to be a race monster like Kevin or Aaron. I still have to tow in the summer my 32' trailer. If I put on twins and can't tow, my wife will burn my truck and let me try to put it out with the one beer I'm drinking because I can't afford more beer because I bought twins........

Some say the BD700's are too small, the II New style kit with a PS62/S474 is too small, and so on. I don't want to go the Garett route because of all the cooling lines and very expensive. As you guys know, I like neat and clean so I don't want it to look like a jungle under my hood. I do greatly appreciate any advice. When it comes to $5000.00, I want to do this once.

The new style Industrial Injection twins are the best bang for the buck at $4200.00 for the entire kit with 2 new turbo's and it uses all the stock downpipe. The classic II Towing kit (62/K31) is $4900.00. The BD R700's are $4500.00 ATS kit is $5100.00 and purple but a nice looking set up. Do any of the classic twin kits use the stock downpipe? The new style looks to be the way to go but I still love the look of the classic twin style, what a hard decision to make. What do you guys think? Thanks

BD R700 towed perfect. Small for making huge HP sure yeah they are but for towing and having quick spool up they are the ones. However if you are going to spend the money talk to Nathan at MPI. Since BD's R700 are a tight S300 over a small S400 you could get that configuration from others. Nathans fit is superior to any kit I have seen.

let me guess physics tell u it wont spool huh

Not that it won't spool, but that it won't ever light or spool as quick as a smaller frame turbo, with tighter a/r's and lighter wheels, all other things being equal.

give steel at gos performance a call, they have good set ups, i like the stocker over a s474, i know that steel had the hot pipe that conects the 2 turbos cast and works well.

We just installed a set of DPS HT3B twins on a 96 truck with a 01 engine in it with Industrial hotrod pump and 150 injectors and a smarty cannot get the turbos to spool over 40 PSI. Talked to Bret and adjusted the waste gate and plugged the fitting off still no change found no noticeable air leaks in the intercooler ( will pressure test monday) all I can say at the moment is DPS is hard to get a hold of and difficult to deal with on the phone. Any suggestions why the turbos wont build boost, BTW it is a 5 speed
JD

We just installed a set of DPS HT3B twins on a 96 truck with a 01 engine in it with Industrial hotrod pump and 150 injectors and a smarty cannot get the turbos to spool over 40 PSI. Talked to Bret and adjusted the waste gate and plugged the fitting off still no change found no noticeable air leaks in the intercooler ( will pressure test monday) all I can say at the moment is DPS is hard to get a hold of and difficult to deal with on the phone. Any suggestions why the turbos wont build boost, BTW it is a 5 speed
JD

I'm guessing ya didn't read this whole thread, right?? NOW I can say TOLD YA SO!! LOL. Those turbos aren't meant to go on some serious power upgrades, basicly will work on stock/mild mods.

Those of us that bought the dps's twin kit thinking that we saved some coin compared to the other twins kits out there were misled by the ads/dps...that's why I try to tell my issues with dps's crap BEFORE someone makes the same mistake I did....Now that I know you're in the same boat as me now...I'm not the only one that has had issues.

You're not going to get anywhere with Bret...he'll just hang up on ya when you have problems/issues he can't fix easily.

GOOD LUCK on getting any more boost out of those turbos...watch out for the wg valve breaking off....you'll know when you don't have any bottom end power and no boost will build till around 50-60mph....

I'm guessing ya didn't read this whole thread, right?? NOW I can say TOLD YA SO!! LOL. Those turbos aren't meant to go on some serious power upgrades, basicly will work on stock/mild mods.

Those of us that bought the dps's twin kit thinking that we saved some coin compared to the other twins kits out there were misled by the ads/dps...that's why I try to tell my issues with dps's crap BEFORE someone makes the same mistake I did....Now that I know you're in the same boat as me now...I'm not the only one that has had issues.

You're not going to get anywhere with Bret...he'll just hang up on ya when you have problems/issues he can't fix easily.

GOOD LUCK on getting any more boost out of those turbos...watch out for the wg valve breaking off....you'll know when you don't have any bottom end power and no boost will build till around 50-60mph....

These were bought by a customer just like you said tryin to save some cash, I tried to talk him into II but too much according to him so lets see what we are going to do :doh::doh::bang

These were bought by a customer just like you said tryin to save some cash, I tried to talk him into II but too much according to him so lets see what we are going to do :doh::doh::bang

My advise is call up II or Shane and get the bw exh housing for the top turbo then buy a completely new bottom turbo along with all the piping....when I get the time/money...that's the route I'm taking.

BTW which kit is it?? Older version or the newer?? Old one is where the bottom turbo spins backwards which is the one I have....

On a good day, I can hit 50psi boost top turbo and bottom will reach almost 30psi....I fab'd up a steel 3'' tube from top to bottom- cold side, to get rid of one of the silicone tubes...thought it was collapsing from time to time. Did some good tho with the steel tube...

I've had excellent luck with the stainless housings from HTT. Their gate flows plenty and it simplifies the plumbing if you don't have to install an external gate. I started having thrust bearing issues on my s300's and finally stopped using them. The Garretts seem to work ok but you need an external gate(as their housings are non w/g). Haven't had any trouble with mine but you do need to watch out for w/g creep. It will rob your bottom end without being obvious.

With only 90hp injectors you won't be able to spool a big set of twins anyways.

What are considering "Big"?
I'm using Marco's 90's right now and they light my 62/480 combo Great!!

I couldn't disagree more. A setup like this: Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

Wouldn't work at all with out that big external gate. Internal gates are all but useless, a well thought out external gate setup makes the difference, when using a big primary, between being a track only set and something you can actually drive.

I hate internal gates, I love external gates. No gate means too much compromise.

Wsihed I had the time to work out a external gate system....Cause I tried tightening up my internal WG on my 62 so that it barely moves and it didn't seem to lower my primary's boost at all... The next step is closing it completely with no bleed off to try and get the Primary lower and into it's MAP better...

Any suggestions?

What are considering "Big"?
I'm using Marco's 90's right now and they light my 62/480 combo Great!!

Wsihed I had the time to work out a external gate system....Cause I tried tightening up my internal WG on my 62 so that it barely moves and it didn't seem to lower my primary's boost at all... The next step is closing it completely with no bleed off to try and get the Primary lower and into it's MAP better...

Any suggestions?
David do you have a drive pressure gauge setup? If so did you see any increase in dp when tightening the wastegate?

On a side I kept tightening mine up and come to find out I had a horrible leak from the wg plate.

David do you have a drive pressure gauge setup? If so did you see any increase in dp when tightening the wastegate?

On a side I kept tightening mine up and come to find out I had a horrible leak from the wg plate.

No I don't have a DP setup... I guess I need one someday...

Well, my HTT secondary has the "RonA" custom billet Wastegate pucks that he made for HTT to fix all those dang POS wastegates when the SS housings came out... I'm only assuming it's working correctly...

I'll close it off all the way and see if it make a difference on Mon or Tues when I get a chance to drive it again...

No I don't have a DP setup... I guess I need one someday...

Well, my HTT secondary has the "RonA" custom billet Wastegate pucks that he made for HTT to fix all those dang POS wastegates when the SS housings came out... I'm only assuming it's working correctly...

I'll close it off all the way and see if it make a difference on Mon or Tues when I get a chance to drive it again...
Oh I got the upgrade too, but they sent it back with super thin ss cover. Their suppose to be sending me a better cover.

Oh I got the upgrade too, but they sent it back with super thin ss cover. Their suppose to be sending me a better cover.

Oh Heck Yeah!! My little POS thin cover bent in two places and had exhaust gas leaking out all over everything...

The Thick piece is the Only way to go!!!

^^ That's what She said^^^ :hehe:

Back