Using compressed air to aid spooling of big singles.

Where going to try something along these lines if time and money permit, but we are trying to find the coldest gas, i know co2 comes out cold but we were thinking of maybe what they use to cryo treat things, but were not going to be spraying it on the turbo.

Where going to try something along these lines if time and money permit, but we are trying to find the coldest gas, i know co2 comes out cold but we were thinking of maybe what they use to cryo treat things, but were not going to be spraying it on the turbo.

Verify your rules, as I have seen some that say no compressed gas. They were targeting the people who were spraying the intercooler with CO2.

Since this truck is a 2wd I don't think that we have to worry about me pulling it anytime soon. I think I am going to go the cheap route with this one and put a set of caltracs, gears, garmon tranny and just a few other things. Kman9090 I would like to know what you plan was. When you just going for chemical cooling on the intercooler or something along those lines. The gas people use to cryo parts is liquid nitrogen at -321df and is pretty cheap. Problem you would run into is storage as you would need a Dewars container to hold it on the truck as it expands at a rate of 1:694 and would exceed the pressure rating of any cylinder. I plan on using the kinetic energy of the compressed air directly on the exhaust wheel.

Sorry guys I should have kept you guys posted. I ended up moving to western Oklahoma so the project sat on the back burner for a while. I managed to pick up a couple of HX50's pretty cheap and used this for a starting point. I drilled the exhaust housing and pressed in a stainless tube. Since I don't have a lot of engineering training I just guessed where and how to place it. Don't worry I will post pic's soon for you guys to see so all can comment on where they thought it should have gone. The rest of the components were 1/2 lines a really expensive valve and a scuba tank. Tested a couple of times just in the garage with the truck idleing and I have to say the sound factor when you hit the button is mean. Testing part one: took truck to local back road so as not to bother anyone. Revved truck up and sat on stall, zero boost at this point. Tank press 2800 psi and hit the button, turbo spun up like I thought it would but the truck need more supporting mods and tuning to make this work. Second test: slid timing to 25 degrees and pulled cam plate out, afc is gutted as I wanted all the fuel I could get. truck has a 215 pump on it so I do not know what kind of fuel this is. Same set up, same back road rev truck up until its missing badly, grey smoke pouring out. I hit the button and the turbo lit so hard it broke the shaft right behind the compressor wheel. Did not hurt the exhaust housing to badly so I will reuse. Conclusion I think this will work for drag racing with more tuning and research. Street use will work if pressure is regulated to something decent as I should have started small and worked my way up in pressure. I got excited and wanted to see what would happen. I will continue work on this project as time permits and with post results as I go along. Sorry for the long post guys.

Sorry guys I should have kept you guys posted. I ended up moving to western Oklahoma so the project sat on the back burner for a while. I managed to pick up a couple of HX50's pretty cheap and used this for a starting point. I drilled the exhaust housing and pressed in a stainless tube. Since I don't have a lot of engineering training I just guessed where and how to place it. Don't worry I will post pic's soon for you guys to see so all can comment on where they thought it should have gone. The rest of the components were 1/2 lines a really expensive valve and a scuba tank. Tested a couple of times just in the garage with the truck idleing and I have to say the sound factor when you hit the button is mean. Testing part one: took truck to local back road so as not to bother anyone. Revved truck up and sat on stall, zero boost at this point. Tank press 2800 psi and hit the button, turbo spun up like I thought it would but the truck need more supporting mods and tuning to make this work. Second test: slid timing to 25 degrees and pulled cam plate out, afc is gutted as I wanted all the fuel I could get. truck has a 215 pump on it so I do not know what kind of fuel this is. Same set up, same back road rev truck up until its missing badly, grey smoke pouring out. I hit the button and the turbo lit so hard it broke the shaft right behind the compressor wheel. Did not hurt the exhaust housing to badly so I will reuse. Conclusion I think this will work for drag racing with more tuning and research. Street use will work if pressure is regulated to something decent as I should have started small and worked my way up in pressure. I got excited and wanted to see what would happen. I will continue work on this project as time permits and with post results as I go along. Sorry for the long post guys.

Why not inject it upstream? Like in the manifold so it's not such a spike to wheel? Just a thought. Also, what gas did you end up injecting?

Use an s400 to fix that...they can be had cheap!

Thats awesome. What about an adapter between the turbine housing and the manifold? I'm wondering if I could come up with a smoke free way to light my twins. They clean up all of my smoke once I leave the line, but I'd love to have a way to keep from smoking during staging. That would just be awesome.
Sean

Injecting just plain old air just dried so the dew point is very low other wise you get ice in the line and it plugs the line off. May try dry nitrogen or another gas that can be had for cheap. As far as where to inject you want the most energy and that is at the nozzle tip. If you blow it in the manifold you gain volume and it takes a lot more gas to do this. Now say you are blowing 3000 psi on the tips on the exhaust wheel you get the most bang for your buck. Some jet engine's are started the same way. Its called high engery gas impingment and has been used on small gas turbines since the 60's. Only I am worried about is high exhaust temps before spool up and then hitting the wheel with a cold gas. Time will tell