Valve Adjustment

Damn, thanks!

X3 on the harmonic balancer bolts If you cant use a baring tool..

I can't get to the harmonic from the bottom, and to get to it from the top I have to pull fan and shroud.

even in 5th gear you cant turn it over? thats how i did mine

Nope. My cousin and I were both trying and it wouldn't budge.

I put a 3/8" socket bar in the serpentine idler/tensioner, and lean on it a little while pulling the alternator pulley bolt (backward engine rotation).

I also scratched a reference mark in the damper where it just intersects the very edge of the serpentine belt. That way I don't have to mess with the timing-pin. Get it there once, adjust half the valves, roll it over 360* and set the other half.

I like this idea the best. I'm going to get a new belt today and give this a try.. Even thought about jacking up the rear and putting a pipe wrench or pry bar on the yoke of the trans and trying to turn it that way... The truck is a low buck project, trying to make do with what I already have and spend as little as possible.. Just a personal goal.

Why are you trying to spin the motor when the truck is in gear? That makes no sense. Put the truck in neutral

We were trying to turn the rear tires by hand so the motor would turn.. I understand what you are saying, and it was in neutral when I was turning it by the alt pulley.

the starter seems to do a good job turning the motor over...

May have to revert to this. Like you said, can be time consuming doing it yourself.. Might rig up a little push button start for under the hood. That way I can watch the valves as I bump the starter..

Thanks for all the different ideas! :Cheer:

Buy a $40 engine barring tool from Genos garage and make it easy. Need about 30" of 1/2" extensions and a 1/2" universal to work.

Actually, I just had my dad bump the starter while I watched the rocker arms. Worked great!

ive used 15mm socket and breaker bar on the dampener many times. but a barring tool makes life so much easier! its on my list of things to buy

I put a 3/8" socket bar in the serpentine idler/tensioner, and lean on it a little while pulling the alternator pulley bolt (backward engine rotation).

I also scratched a reference mark in the damper where it just intersects the very edge of the serpentine belt. That way I don't have to mess with the timing-pin. Get it there once, adjust half the valves, roll it over 360* and set the other half.

This works very well for me, with an 18" breaker bar on the tensioner pulley, I can rotate the motor forward or backward, hot or cold, new belt or old belt, ac compressor in the belt loop, or non-ac shorter belt with less bite on the alternator pulley.

30+ replies to get DAD to bump the starter??????????

is this why Texas is so close to Mexico..............

:nopics:

Last edited:
just buy a remote start switch hook it up stand in front of truck & push the button

Back