VGT-SS installed - now the questions ???

Pipes to the turbo has 3 flexable sections. Powerbrake it with sitting up on the engine. Gonna need a buddy.

Had my WIFE burp the throttle while looking and it seems to come from all over , but if you reach around the back ( yes its hot!!) I can feel it coming from the y-pipe / turbo connection. I'm gonna get a new clamp and try that tomorrow. The clamp should self align the pipes as it tightens ,shouldn't it ? Any idea what the torque should be on that clamp ?

It doesn't have to self align. You could be seperated a little bit. Its always better to get that on first before you tighten the pedastal bolts.

I just got back from doing some camping with the family, and read some PM's from Snowbound.
When I read he was only hitting 24 PSI boost, I knew he had an exhaust leak. (I could hit 40 PSI with that turbo with stock sticks and Eric's RACE tune.)
I also said that I was not sure if the pedistal would work on the '03 intake manifold, because of the "Balance Port" that runs from side to side on the back of them....
I had mine removed when I rebuilt my engine, and the pedistal cleared with no issues at all.

I'm thinking that the turbo might be cocked to one side, prventing proper alignment with the flanges.

Keep me posted with how you make out.:Cheer:

Maybe the tunes will fix the leak... Why check for mechanical issues. Just jump into the files.

Pulled everything apart and tried the old clamp and it still leaked. I'm gonna try again with a new clamp. Can't believe I can't work a clamp !!

Thought you could program the SCT to do anything ? I'm still a work in progress. Always remember , you can't fix stupid!!

If the seating surfaces of the turbo and the up-pipe aren't aligned properly, a new clamp isn't going to fix this. I'd do that connection FIRST, then mount the turbo to the pedistal. We just had this same issue on my buddies truck when reinstalling the stock turbo.

Does it make any funny noises under the hood? You should be able to hear it if it's leaking...

In gonna pull it right out again and make sure it fits the extra y-pipe I have. I like to unbolt the passenger side of the cab for more clearance but don't have time today. I WILL NOT BE BEAT BY A DAMN CLAMP !! That duty belongs to the wife and kids and life in general !

Like stated a few times above, I don't think the issue is the clamp. If the surfaces aren't aligned the clamp won't do anything. Also, I think ExtendedPower is right about the cross-over. I have not seen one in person to see how it would affect the fitment, but that's where I would start.

ran into the same issue about 3 weeks ago with my 62/70. like acouple other guys are saying get that y pipe and turbo mounted first then bolt the turbo to the pedistal. once everything is mounted where it should be have someone turn the truck on and give it acouple revs. watch in that back for smoke. that clamp will break if over tightened also.

Clamp at Ford = $60 canadian ( $20 usa on Ebay ). I'm pulling everything out , I may need to do so more " modifying " on the pedestal and turbo to get the connection made. If I reach in with the truck running I can feel the exhaust coming from the gap in the clamp. 86*F and humid so its tough to get at it and stay motivated.

Well , there it is , I got it. So I installed the new fangled , updated , upgraded oil drain tube from Ford. Yes it is bigger , so much so that there was no movement allowance between it and the pedestal. With it removed , the inlet lined up easily. I had to clearance (grind) the pedestal to get some movement from the tube. With a fight , it went. Got 35psi without trying too hard. At which point my turbo outlet boot said goodbye.

You gotta get a new tune from Eric.....like I said earlier, I made 40 psi with stock sticks and a race tune....you should make that with the bigger sticks....

How is the spool-up....any better? (Please say "Yes"....):bang

Does it sound like your running it without a filter on it at all?? (Lotsa air movin..:rockwoot:)

Let me know.:Cheer:

A little louder now everything is hooked up ! Still seems a little slow to spool but new tunes should help. I'm only running a street tune now.

Back