Vp pump cc's

This could possibly be the funniest thing I have ever read that you typed.

I had to explain to my wife why I was laughing...she didn't get it then started talking about chocolate cake. LOL

The flow and pressure numbers in the article were given to us by a contact at Bosch just as an FYI.:poke:

Why is contradicting info published in their literature then? Did the same contact at Bosch claim that a VP44 can produce 600cc's per 1000 strokes?

Why is contradicting info published in their literature then? Did the same contact at Bosch claim that a VP44 can produce 600cc's per 1000 strokes?

Because pumps and setting vary, obviously depending on the application. Do you seriously think that a 215-245 flywheel HP Cummins has a pump that is set at 175cc? It would smoke like a train.

The 600cc number came from aftermarket VP44 pump manufacturers.

I had to explain to my wife why I was laughing...she didn't get it then started talking about chocolate cake. LOL

You mean to tell me that your Wife didn't under......wait, did you say "chocolate cake"?

You mean to tell me that your Wife didn't under......wait, did you say "chocolate cake"?

8 layer cake :rockwoot:

63719_517517844936710_1071045985_n_zps501a7c2a.jpg

Sure did! LOL and it looks like opening the bakery just got harder...doors open early April and we can't get a loan. I can go out and get a $100k car today if I wanted. But I can't get a $50k business loan. SMH

Do you seriously think that a 215-245 flywheel HP Cummins has a pump that is set at 175cc? It would smoke like a train.

Since you did not respond I'll try a different approach, how many cc's would it take to make 215-245hp @ the crank with a VP44?

The tag on a '96-98 12v rated @ 215hp has the same value on the timing cover, so that is not an answer to the question. I asked how many cc's one should suspect to see an injection pump creating 215-245hp produce on a test stand?

I find it almost comical that you actually believe an OEM engine produces over 2hp per cc injected quantity.

So Weston, what should it be? Since this turned into a knowledge pissing match. Please share.

Yeah Weston, burden of proof lies with the prosecution! LOL

Keep in mind that if we're talking about the ACTUAL amount of fuel involved, versus the "cc per 1,000 strokes" rating, the numbers will be radically different. So, we could be trying to outsmart each other and be talking about two different things. Since Weston never gives detailed answers, I am never quite sure.

Does anyone no how many cc's a so pump will flow?

Keep in mind that "max cc's" isn't always the whole story. Here's a sheet on a modded VE pump....

1000rpm 280cc
1250rpm 290cc
1500rpm 280cc
1750rpm 280cc
2000rpm 270cc
2250rpm 270cc
2500rpm 260cc
2750rpm 250cc
3000rpm 240cc
3250rpm 230cc
3500rpm 200cc
3750rpm 150cc
4000rpm 70cc

Most shops would sell this as a "290cc pump," when in reality, there's no way you're going to be able to use that amount of fuel down at 1,250rpm. At, say, 3,000rpm, you're down to 240cc, and if you're a sled puller who wants to spin 4K, then you're really in trouble.

Keep in mind that if we're talking about the ACTUAL amount of fuel involved, versus the "cc per 1,000 strokes" rating, the numbers will be radically different. So, we could be trying to outsmart each other and be talking about two different things. Since Weston never gives detailed answers, I am never quite sure.

I give detailed answers on every occasion, in the form of actual numbers, not assumptions from information that is spoon fed to me. You believe the actual amount of fuel involved to be different from the standard test rating, then you also assume that a P7100 from a '97 12v 5spd will flow the exact same as a VP44 from a '00 24v automatic, yet that is not the case. The values listed by the OEM are generalizations, you could take five different pumps from the same application and they will not all flow the same.

Typically P7100's range from ~ 150-200 cc's in stock form, producing the range 160-215hp @ the crank, which is far far less than 2hp per injected cc of fuel. And why would the OP not want the numbers given in the common unit of measure, rather than the terms Cummins lists on the timing cover? Same concept as the different flow rating of injectors, why use an uncommon unit of measure you may ask...to disguise the fact of how they really compare to others.

So apples to apples, in a 180hp 12v the P7100 produces ~ 165cc's, then it would seem rather logical that in a 235hp 24v the VP44 would produce ~ 175cc's with the benefit of variable timing and increased pressure. I guess this is just another instance of how everything published in a magazine is always the truth...

I give detailed answers on every occasion, in the form of actual numbers, not assumptions from information that is spoon fed to me. You believe the actual amount of fuel involved to be different from the standard test rating, then you also assume that a P7100 from a '97 12v 5spd will flow the exact same as a VP44 from a '00 24v automatic, yet that is not the case. The values listed by the OEM are generalizations, you could take five different pumps from the same application and they will not all flow the same.

Typically P7100's range from ~ 150-200 cc's in stock form, producing the range 160-215hp @ the crank, which is far far less than 2hp per injected cc of fuel. And why would the OP not want the numbers given in the common unit of measure, rather than the terms Cummins lists on the timing cover? Same concept as the different flow rating of injectors, why use an uncommon unit of measure you may ask...to disguise the fact of how they really compare to others.

So apples to apples, in a 180hp 12v the P7100 produces ~ 165cc's, then it would seem rather logical that in a 235hp 24v the VP44 would produce ~ 175cc's with the benefit of variable timing and increased pressure. I guess this is just another instance of how everything published in a magazine is always the truth...

I agree with most of what is being said here, with the exception of the "cc x 1,000 strokes vs HP" ratings, and of course, the comments about the magazine. Thanks for the longer post, let me do some math :Cheer:

Thanks for the longer post, let me do some math.

Doing some math does not replace having experience in the subject matter, hence the reason you cannot tell when you are publishing inaccurate information. You believe I am the only one that has the opinion I do of Diesel Power Magazine?

Ok, we all love advanced word problems on Sunday, right??

Q: According to Cummins, its 375hp Marine engine uses 76.2L/hr of fuel to make its rated power at 3,000rpm. How much is that in “hp/cc’s per 1,000 strokes?”

A: Let’s do some math then. My Algebra is a little rusty, but that means 76.2Lx1,000=76,200cc/hr. That means 76,200/60min = 1,270cc/min. Take that amount of fuel /3,000revs per min, and you get .423cc of fuel per revolution. Since an inline 6 has a power pulse every 120 degrees (3 per revolution), so that means (.423cc/3) = .141cc per stroke x 1,000 strokes = 141cc. 375hp/141cc = 2.659hp/cc.

For a sled puller, this would be a pipe dream, but for OEM, efficiency is what they're about...they can do it.

Source:
Google Drive Viewer