vp44 ?

jwp130

we couldnt go for three
im looking for any ideas on what could be wrong with my truck. i guess the vp just gave up the ghost. here is my story....
my head gasket blew, other then losing alot of oil my truck ran fine. no previous signs of injection pump failer. i drove the truck to my friends garage to work on it. so i removed the head and sent it to advanced engine to have it decked and o-ringed. wait for my head studs to get here and then put everything back together. no fuel coming out of 1,2,3,4,5 or very little. lots coming out of 6. vp has 17psi of fuel to it. friend and i did most of chip fisher's tests, with the hot wire test being the end all be all. everything says my vp is junk. now..... this is very ironic, considering ive disassembled most of the engine compartment and reassembled it. she just happens to quit, with no previos signs of failure?
does anyone know of something i may have disturbed, something i may be overlooked? hate to get new injection pump, install it and truck still not run. any ideas? thanks.

Have you checked for codes yet? Use the "key trick" turn the key on-off-on-off-on and on the third cycle the odo will show stored and active codes. (Don't start the truck during the test, just cycle the key from on-off)

Have you checked for codes yet? Use the "key trick" turn the key on-off-on-off-on and on the third cycle the odo will show stored and active codes. (Don't start the truck during the test, just cycle the key from on-off)

yes, there are multiple codes. and most point to the vp being junk. im just in disbelief that she quit without any signs or symptoms... and ironically after i did a major engine repair.

P1688 was the one I remember off hand. It appears that the rotor is seized, but it is very odd that no symptoms had ever been noticed before. I have alot of experience w the VPs but im no expert, any other help is welcome.

Stop beating around the bush, and face the facts.

1688 is a dead pump, no ifs ands or butts.

Vp can die at any time, for no reason...

my truck only has 100k miles, was driving perfectly fine, cruising down the Eway, never had a lick of trouble, and the vp died, same 1688 code, alone with i think a 0121 or 122, it was an APPS code low i think.

stupid question but did you knock the plug out of the back of the vp when you took the head off?

yes, there are multiple codes. and most point to the vp being junk. im just in disbelief that she quit without any signs or symptoms... and ironically after i did a major engine repair.

thats a vp for ya

this is why i have another sitting on my shelf in the garage.

no,this was removed to "hot wire" the pump to check if it was bad.

all those codes will come up with the plug off the back of the vp when the key is on, just saying. ask me how i know! lol :nail: did you clear them?

ok tried a used pump in "working condition" still not starting. getting what i would consider good fuel out of #6 again and #1. none to speak of out of any other. no DTC in computer except p1693. any ideas? pump from chip fisher on the way. if the new pump does not work... i may light the pos on fire.

ok tried a used pump in "working condition" still not starting. getting what i would consider good fuel out of #6 again and #1. none to speak of out of any other. no DTC in computer except p1693. any ideas? pump from chip fisher on the way. if the new pump does not work... i may light the pos on fire.

P1693 Diagnostic Trouble Code Set In The Controller
Possible Causes Setting Conditions

ECM has detected a problem and set a trouble code in memory
ECM has failed

Key on or engine running; and the ECM detected a diagnostic trouble code was set in the Electronic Control Module (PCM) or the Transmission Control Module (TCM)

This code sets in 1 Trip(s).

I guess you can keep tossing money at it or have someone who knows diagnostics look at it. Id bet something isnt pluged in all the way.

P1693 Diagnostic Trouble Code Set In The Controller
Possible Causes Setting Conditions

ECM has detected a problem and set a trouble code in memory
ECM has failed

Key on or engine running; and the ECM detected a diagnostic trouble code was set in the Electronic Control Module (PCM) or the Transmission Control Module (TCM)

This code sets in 1 Trip(s).

I guess you can keep tossing money at it or have someone who knows diagnostics look at it. Id bet something isnt pluged in all the way.

yeah im sick of buying and trying. but i guess im gonna try the new pump then throw the towel in.

06-23-2012, 05:24 AM
jwp130

Name: jwp130
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

chris,
hello, i recieved my parts yesterday. the exhaust manifold looks good. the vp 44 was full of some yellowish liquid that had leeked through the bag and box. ups was complaining. do you by chance know what this was? i tryed draining all that i could out of the pump. but the electronics were soaked. whatever was in there, it was alot. i ask this because ive installed the pump and it does not work. before i run any of chip fishers tests i wanted to get a hold of you to see what you know. at this point i would like to talk to you directly. things sometime get lost in text. but as i remember, this pump was sold as a working pump. not a core. thankyou.

06-23-2012, 07:15 AM
jwp130

Member`s Gallery

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That would be fuel in the pump and you arent going to tell me that it doesnt work because I pulled it off a running engine the day it shipped out of here. The electronics can be soaked all they want and it will still run.[/QUOTE]

ok, it did not smell like fuel. im just telling you what i know. no need to become defensive, if in fact you are. im just saying the pump is not working. im no expert here. im just looking for some good honest answers. you have been very helpful, and im in no way trying to discredit your business. if you say in fact that this pump is fine then i have to take your word. im just trying to get my truck to run. i only have good fuel to #1 injector. the others are just dripping.(lift pump pressure) drained my batteries trying to get it primed. i dont know.... what does it sound like to you?

06-23-2012, 08:18 AM
jwp130

Member`s Gallery

Im not sure as Im not installing it. You could have crushed the key, you could have a bad lift pump, your batteries sound like they are junk, you may have electrical issues with your truck, you could have loose fuel lines, you could be out of fuel in the tank, etc etc. this is why experience is useful during installs. All this and Im just assuming you used the original key on the pump shaft....if not that would be my first guess as to why it isnt starting.[/QUOTE]

key is not crushed, lift pump is supplying 17psi to injection pump. verified by mechanical gauge,and by visually watching it fill up a coffee can by just bumping the starter. batteries are newer, and any battery will go to crap after an hour or so of repeatedly cranking after starter cools down. no loose lines, fuel in tank. i used the key that was on the pump you sent me. im not a diesel mechanic by trade, but im not a complete moron either. the only thing i dont know of yet is if electrical could be a problem. i will be removing the buss wiring and hotwiring the pump to eliminate that possibility. but before any of those tests needed to be done, i thought i would ask the guy who sold me the pump to see what he may have known about it first.

this pump just does not work. i would like to try and resolve this. the pump was full of old fuel. good diesel does not smell like varnish,or look yellow in color. unless you put old diesel in the truck. this pump has been sitting for sometime with bad fuel in it. if your so sure this pump is in good working order, then i see no reason why you wouldnt buy this back and stand behind your website's "we strive to deliver 100% customer satisfaction on every single transaction." nothing i have done during installation or removel has changed this pumps condition from when i recieved it. except its been cleaned up. what im proposing would be sending the pump back and getting my $500 back.

Yesterday, 10:21 PM
jwp130

Member`s Gallery

CSnyder said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp130
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSnyder
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp130
That would be fuel in the pump and you arent going to tell me that it doesnt work because I pulled it off a running engine the day it shipped out of here. The electronics can be soaked all they want and it will still run.

this pump just does not work. i would like to try and resolve this. the pump was full of old fuel. good diesel does not smell like varnish,or look yellow in color. unless you put old diesel in the truck. this pump has been sitting for sometime with bad fuel in it. if your so sure this pump is in good working order, then i see no reason why you wouldnt buy this back and stand behind your website's "we strive to deliver 100% customer satisfaction on every single transaction." nothing i have done during installation or removel has changed this pumps condition from when i recieved it. except its been cleaned up. what im proposing would be sending the pump back and getting my $500 back.

the oldest the fuel could have been was from December when the truck came here for the p-pump swap. It has been start and run several times since then and like I said I pulled it into the shop the day it shipped out. I imagine the varnish smell you are smelling could be the difference between winter fuel with additive and summer fuel. I can either exchange it up for the other pump listed for the additional price or refund if it is returned and it is the same pump I shipped. Not saying you are not trustworthy but Ive shipped parts before and had claims they were junk but when returned it wasnt the same part I shipped out. We carefully place a mark on items shipped and document it. Its your call. Im very easy to get along with. I can also do a video of this other truck running before I ship that one if thats what you want to do. Let me know. Chris

the pump will ship out tomorrow. unfortunely im going to go ahead and get one of chip fishers pumps. my truck has not run now with two different used pumps and i need to get one that i know for sure works. truck has codes that would imply that the pumps are not working. trust me i would much rather save my money on a used pump and have the truck working again. but at this point i dont know what else to do. i would be interested in knowing if you are successful getting the pump i return to you working. again i thank you for all the help/trouble you have gone through.

You told me in PM's that after you installed my good used pump that it had codes for a bad VP but in this thread you said nothing of VP codes.

You also told me via PM that it was only getting fuel out of number1 but here you say 1 & 6?

You made mention of hotwiring the pump also and there is a good chance you fried the electronics now. How would you like to handle this? Thats twice you lied to me on this deal and I know damn well it ran when removed the day it shipped to you. Sounds like a case of buyer remorse to me.

yeah im sick of buying and trying. but i guess im gonna try the new pump then throw the towel in.

Yet all you say you did was put a hot wire to the pump. I havent seen anywhere where you did a ground test or even perform a scope test on the Injection pump sync signal. Did you even open up the data stream on a scan tool to see if everything is working together to make a pump work. Codes are usless unless you can even get into the data stream on the PCM to see whats going on. You had the entire top of the motor apart and it doesn't work after it was apart. I have doubts its the pump at all. $.02

Yet all you say you did was put a hot wire to the pump. I havent seen anywhere where you did a ground test or even perform a scope test on the Injection pump sync signal. Did you even open up the data stream on a scan tool to see if everything is working together to make a pump work. Codes are usless unless you can even get into the data stream on the PCM to see whats going on. You had the entire top of the motor apart and it doesn't work after it was apart. I have doubts its the pump at all. $.02

yes i did perform the ground test and it had power and ground. i do not know what the scope test is for the sync signal and no i havent checked to see if everything is working together as i dont know how to do that either. yes i too have my doubts on if its the pump. as chris has pointed out in the post before i got the pump from him and he told me it was working. i installed and now its not. so i dont really know at this point what direction to go.

did you spray brake kleen in each injector line to make sure they were clean before you re-installed them?

the pump will ship out tomorrow. unfortunely im going to go ahead and get one of chip fishers pumps. my truck has not run now with two different used pumps and i need to get one that i know for sure works. truck has codes that would imply that the pumps are not working. trust me i would much rather save my money on a used pump and have the truck working again. but at this point i dont know what else to do. i would be interested in knowing if you are successful getting the pump i return to you working. again i thank you for all the help/trouble you have gone through.

You told me in PM's that after you installed my good used pump that it had codes for a bad VP but in this thread you said nothing of VP codes.

You also told me via PM that it was only getting fuel out of number1 but here you say 1 & 6?

You made mention of hotwiring the pump also and there is a good chance you fried the electronics now. How would you like to handle this? Thats twice you lied to me on this deal and I know damn well it ran when removed the day it shipped to you. Sounds like a case of buyer remorse to me.

codes that were on the truck p0602,p0238,p0237,p0122,p0118,p1689,p1688,p0602. these were the codes that were on the truck with both inj. pumps. i cleared these codes thinking that it might not start with these stored in the ecm. after i tried starting again i did the 3 key thing and the only code i get now is p1693.
yes, i did tell you that there was good fuel out of #1 but there was also some out of #6.the others had very little or none. no high pressure. yes i did hot wire the pump. i did all the "no start" tests off of chips website. im not quite sure on how im lying to you. i asked you in one of the very first pms. for your phone # so we could talk instead of typing everything. in fact i gave you my # when i agreed to buy the pump. at anytime you may call me. im not trying to buffalo anyone or cheat and lie to you chris.
if in fact you can ruin the pump by doing the any of those tests i would be shocked that chip fisher would advise doing so. maybe they can, as i dont know for sure. if you would like to continue to air our private dealing on an open forum in an attempt to "ruin" a reputation, im a little disappointed. i would like to know for sure if those tests could in fact ruin the pump.

Last edited: