vp44 ?

did you spray brake kleen in each injector line to make sure they were clean before you re-installed them?

no i did not. they were removed and replaced the same day. i guess i just assumed nothing would have had a chance to get inside of them. i will clean them prior to install this time.

I know The difference in summer and winter fuel and winter fuel is NOT deep yellow in color and smell like varnish. just saying.$.02
I have been trying to help Jeremy (jwp130) with getting his truck running again since it has went down. He is a very close personal friend of mine and has no reason to lie to me or anyone ever. I just moved to SC in the middle of his down time, therefore it is very difficult for me to advise him when I can not be there to see for myself. I am not a VP guru, but I have alot more experiance than him and have offered my help. I have gained almost all of my knowlage from Chip Fisher (who is the VP guru) and have advised Jeremy to learn from him too.
Im not sure on the new codes, I was always led to believe that the engine would have to be started for it to set new codes for the injection pump. However, what I know for sure is that if the hotwire test is performed on a VP with good lift pump pressure and it does not push high pressure fuel through the injector lines "the pump IS NOT FUNCTIONING" . period. The pump does not need the electronics for the truck to idle, just fused power (to keep from frying the pump) and ground. This test was performed on this truck and it did not flow fuel enough for the truck to idle.
Im NOT trying to discredit Chris and everything I have heard of him through this forum was in a positive light. I think his willingness to refund the buyers $ upon the return of the pump speaks volume for his character and business. Maybe the pump ran great when it was removed and shipped but it did not on the truck it was installed on when recieved. I am only trying to help resolve this matter with as little "butt hurt" as possible. If I needed parts I would not hesitate to purchase from Chris. I would like to hear if the returned pump does indeed run on another truck, but I doubt it.
I believe this matter could have easily been resolved with a few phone calls instead of being smeared all over the boards. :doh:

no i did not. they were removed and replaced the same day. i guess i just assumed nothing would have had a chance to get inside of them. i will clean them prior to install this time.

The inj lines were capped and wrapped in a clean towel when I took them off while we waited for the head to be returned from the machine shop. You can still check them, but I blew air through them before I reinstalled them the first time.

codes that were on the truck p0602,p0238,p0237,p0122,p0118,p1689,p1688,p0602. these were the codes that were on the truck with both inj. pumps. i cleared these codes thinking that it might not start with these stored in the ecm. after i tried starting again i did the 3 key thing and the only code i get now is p1693.
yes, i did tell you that there was good fuel out of #1 but there was also some out of #6.the others had very little or none. no high pressure. yes i did hot wire the pump. i did all the "no start" tests off of chips website. im not quite sure on how im lying to you. i asked you in one of the very first pms. for your phone # so we could talk instead of typing everything. in fact i gave you my # when i agreed to buy the pump. at anytime you may call me. im not trying to buffalo anyone or cheat and lie to you chris.
if in fact you can ruin the pump by doing the any of those tests i would be shocked that chip fisher would advise doing so. maybe they can, as i dont know for sure. if you would like to continue to air our private dealing on an open forum in an attempt to "ruin" a reputation, im a little disappointed. i would like to know for sure if those tests could in fact ruin the pump.

Those tests are kinda misleading anyways. You give the pump power and ground and it will wont work unless something it telling it to fire. Kinda like a starter you can give it power and ground it it wont work till it receives a signal from the key to work. Find a scan tool to use on the truck and quit thinking the key trick will help you fix your truck.

P0602Checksum Error

P0602 Checksum Error
Possible Causes Setting Conditions

ECM needs to be "flashed"
ECM has failed

Key on; and the ECM detected a deviation between the ECM memory and the stored calibration values.

This code sets in 1 Trip(s).

P0238MAP Sensor Voltage Too High

P0238 MAP Sensor Voltage Too High

Boost Pressure Test did not pass
MAP sensor connector is damaged (check pins for damage, and for moisture)
MAP sensor signal circuit is shorted to voltage
MAP sensor return circuit is open or shorted to voltage
MAP sensor has failed
ECM has failed

P0237MAP Sensor Voltage Too Low

P0237 MAP Sensor Voltage Too Low

Boost Pressure Test did not pass
MAP sensor connector is damaged (check pins for damage, and for moisture)
MAP sensor signal circuit is shorted to ground
MAP sensor reference (5v) circuit is open or shorted to ground
MAP sensor has failed
ECM has failed

P0122Accelerator Position Sensor Signal Voltage Too Low

P0122 Accelerator Position Sensor Signal Voltage Too Low

APP sensor 5-volt supply circuit open or shorted to ground
APP sensor signal shorted to ground
APP sensor has failed
ECM has failed

Engine running; and the ECM detected the Accelerator Pedal Position (APP) Sensor signal was too low, or the APP signal between the Engine Control Module (PCM) and the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) was too low at any time.

This code sets in 1 Trip(s).
This code will turn on the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp)

Symptom:
P0118-ENGINE COOLANT TEMPERATURE SENSOR VOLTAGE
TOO HIGH
When Monitored and Set Condition:
P0118-ENGINE COOLANT TEMPERATURE SENSOR VOLTAGE TOO HIGH
When Monitored: With the ignition on and battery voltage is greater than 10.4 volts.
Set Condition: The intake air temperature sensor signal circuit is above 4.98 volts for
more than 2 seconds.
POSSIBLE CAUSES
INTERMITTENT WIRING
ECT SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE
ECT SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT OPEN
SENSOR GROUND CIRCUIT OPEN
ECT
ECM
TEST ACTION APPLICABILITY
1 Turn the ignition on.
With the DRBIIIt, read the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor volts.
Is the voltage above 4.6 volts?
All
Yes ® Go To 2
No ® Go To 6
2 Turn the ignition off.
Disconnect the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor harness connector.
Turn the ignition on.
Measure the voltage of the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor Signal circuit.
Is the voltage above 6.0 volts?
All
Yes ® Repair the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor Signal circuit for
a short to voltage.
Perform POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST VER - 5.
No ® Go To 3
DRIVEABILITY - DIESEL

TEST ACTION APPLICABILITY
3 Turn the ignition off.
Connect a jumper wire between the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor Signal
circuit and the Sensor Ground circuit.
Turn the ignition on.
With the DRBIIIt, read the Engine Coolant Temp Sensor voltage.
Is the voltage below 1.0 volt?
All
Yes ® Replace the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor.
No ® Go To 4
4 Turn the ignition off.
Disconnect the ECM harness connector.
Measure the resistance of the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor Signal circuit.
Is the resistance below 10.0 ohms?
All
Yes ® Go To 5
No ® Repair the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor Signal circuit for
an open.
5 Turn the ignition off.
Disconnect the ECM harness connector.
Measure the resistance of the Sensor Ground circuit.
Is the resistance below 10.0 ohms?
All
Yes ® Replace and program the ECM in accordance with the Service
Information.
No ® Repair the Sensor Ground circuit for an open.
6 Turn the ignition off.
NOTE: Visually inspect the related wiring harness. Look for any chafed,
pierced, pinched or partially broken wires.
NOTE: Visually inspect the related wiring harness connectors. Look for
broken, bent, pushed out or corroded terminals.
NOTE: Refer to any Technical Service Bulletins (TSB) that may apply
Perform a wiggle test on the related wiring harnesses with the ignition on, engine not
running.
Were any problems found during wiggle test?
All
Yes ® Repair or replace wiring harness/connectors as necessary.
No ® Test Complete.
DRIVEABILITY - DIESEL
P0118-ENGINE COOLANT TEMPERATURE SENSOR VOLTAGE TOO
HIGH — Continued
Copyright 2007 - 2011 Service Repair Solutions, Inc.

Sounds like Ecu may have been sorted....

scat, thanks for the info. i will try and find a scan tool to use again. since i dont have one i have been using the key trick as i was under the impression this would help me locate the problem. its obvious i need to look deeper and have the correct equipment.

dieseljunkie;1821158[B said:
]I know The difference in summer and winter fuel and winter fuel is NOT deep yellow in color and smell like varnish. just saying.$.02[/B] I have been trying to help Jeremy (jwp130) with getting his truck running again since it has went down. He is a very close personal friend of mine and has no reason to lie to me or anyone ever. I just moved to SC in the middle of his down time, therefore it is very difficult for me to advise him when I can not be there to see for myself. I am not a VP guru, but I have alot more experiance than him and have offered my help. I have gained almost all of my knowlage from Chip Fisher (who is the VP guru) and have advised Jeremy to learn from him too.
Im not sure on the new codes, I was always led to believe that the engine would have to be started for it to set new codes for the injection pump. However, what I know for sure is that if the hotwire test is performed on a VP with good lift pump pressure and it does not push high pressure fuel through the injector lines "the pump IS NOT FUNCTIONING" . period. The pump does not need the electronics for the truck to idle, just fused power (to keep from frying the pump) and ground. This test was performed on this truck and it did not flow fuel enough for the truck to idle.
Im NOT trying to discredit Chris and everything I have heard of him through this forum was in a positive light. I think his willingness to refund the buyers $ upon the return of the pump speaks volume for his character and business. Maybe the pump ran great when it was removed and shipped but it did not on the truck it was installed on when recieved. I am only trying to help resolve this matter with as little "butt hurt" as possible. If I needed parts I would not hesitate to purchase from Chris. I would like to hear if the returned pump does indeed run on another truck, but I doubt it.
I believe this matter could have easily been resolved with a few phone calls instead of being smeared all over the boards. :doh:

Ok so you are several states away and a close personal friend who has zero idea what the fuel in that pump smelled like exactly and this is supposed to pursuede me to change my mind how?

Your close personal friend just sent me this PM, and yes Im making this public for other opinions. I posted it elsewhere and you would be surprised at those replies....not ONE in favor of me refunding after the PM's and this thread were shown.

.Today, 01:55 PM
jwp130

Name: jwp130
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry I am putting 2 engines together today and not taking calls ( I have VM for a reason) and my secretary is off for medical reasons today. We can keep our conversations to documented PM's.[/QUOTE]

ahh, ok thankyou for responding. i did leave you a voicemail. "documented PM's" enough already what do you think im doing here? do you think im trying to take you? what is your problem, best case scenario for us is you get your pump back and it works i get my money back. other then my truck still not running that is the best possible thing that can happen. i talked to chip fisher today. he said there is no way i could of ruined the pump if i followed his test instructions. call him yourself. bottom line that pump does not work on my truck. i also did not damage the pump while i had it. the package it arrived in was suspect at best. damaged, not securly shipped, dripping fluids everywhere. pump was in poor visable condition, no attempt to even clean it up prior to shipment. and again very poor overall packaging. who knows with the way it was leaking all over maybe the damn driver threw the ****ing thing. i know i wanted to when yellow fuel came pooring out of it. take notice of how nicely it looks and how well its been packaged. that is what i would expect from someone who is selling parts and shipping them as part of their job. in the end im not happy with your product, i would like my money back when you recieve the pump. you seem unwilling to talk to me and have an overall brash attitude towards the whole situation.

I ship hundreds of packages out every month and have NEVER had someone accuse me of poor packaging. Are you willing to pay me for wasting my time to retest a pump that you could have very well fried by hotwiring? No where during the sale did I ever mention making the used pump I sold you look like new again either before I shipped it. Was this a technique to wash off my markings I made to verify this is the pump I originally sent you? If you in fact thought the driver dropped the pump or threw it you should have taken pics of the package and documented it and contacted me immediately saying the box was damaged. You got the pump at 7PM and by 5 something am sent me a PM saying it was junk. Now you admit it was yellow fuel running out of it too.... in Iowa our diesel fuel is yellow. Your antics of attacking my business on how I package and sell is now assuring me of buyer remorse.

Ok so you are several states away and a close personal friend who has zero idea what the fuel in that pump smelled like exactly and this is supposed to pursuede me to change my mind how?

Your close personal friend just sent me this PM, and yes Im making this public for other opinions. I posted it elsewhere and you would be surprised at those replies....not ONE in favor of me refunding after the PM's and this thread were shown.

.Today, 01:55 PM
jwp130

Name: jwp130
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry I am putting 2 engines together today and not taking calls ( I have VM for a reason) and my secretary is off for medical reasons today. We can keep our conversations to documented PM's.

ahh, ok thankyou for responding. i did leave you a voicemail. "documented PM's" enough already what do you think im doing here? do you think im trying to take you? what is your problem, best case scenario for us is you get your pump back and it works i get my money back. other then my truck still not running that is the best possible thing that can happen. i talked to chip fisher today. he said there is no way i could of ruined the pump if i followed his test instructions. call him yourself. bottom line that pump does not work on my truck. i also did not damage the pump while i had it. the package it arrived in was suspect at best. damaged, not securly shipped, dripping fluids everywhere. pump was in poor visable condition, no attempt to even clean it up prior to shipment. and again very poor overall packaging. who knows with the way it was leaking all over maybe the damn driver threw the ****ing thing. i know i wanted to when yellow fuel came pooring out of it. take notice of how nicely it looks and how well its been packaged. that is what i would expect from someone who is selling parts and shipping them as part of their job. in the end im not happy with your product, i would like my money back when you recieve the pump. you seem unwilling to talk to me and have an overall brash attitude towards the whole situation.

I ship hundreds of packages out every month and have NEVER had someone accuse me of poor packaging. Are you willing to pay me for wasting my time to retest a pump that you could have very well fried by hotwiring? No where during the sale did I ever mention making the used pump I sold you look like new again either before I shipped it. Was this a technique to wash off my markings I made to verify this is the pump I originally sent you? If you in fact thought the driver dropped the pump or threw it you should have taken pics of the package and documented it and contacted me immediately saying the box was damaged. You got the pump at 7PM and by 5 something am sent me a PM saying it was junk. Now you admit it was yellow fuel running out of it too.... in Iowa our diesel fuel is yellow. Your antics of attacking my business on how I package and sell is now assuring me of buyer remorse.

well i guess im the 1st, to TELL you it was poorly packaged. no im not paying you to test the pump. are you kidding me? Technique to wash of your markings? the pump i returned is the pump you sent me. how can i contact you i dont have your #, the # i do have has never once been answered. yes i sent you a pm at 5am from work. i had installed the pump the night before and figured out it didnt work then. admitting it was yellow and smelled nothing like fuel. your the one who said it was winter blend fuel. the only thing im remorseful about is dealing with you. anyone who cant even talk over the phone to resovle a problem is not someone i would wnat to deal with. what do you need some public reassurance that your doing the right thing? is everything in Iowa yellow?

Last edited:

well i guess im the 1st, to TELL you it was poorly packaged. no im not paying you to test the pump. are you kidding me? Technique to wash of your markings? the pump i returned is the pump you sent me. how can i contact you i dont have your # yes i sent you a pm at 5am from work. i had installed the pump the night before and figured out it didnt work then. admitting it was yellow and smelled nothing like fuel. your the one who said it was winter blend fuel. the only thing im remorseful about is dealing with you. anyone who cant even talk over the phone to resovle a problem is not someone i would wnat to deal with. what do you need some public reassurance that your doing the right thing?[/QUOTE]

You are the one who said above you wanted me to reinstall a pump that left here the day it came off a running truck and you said if it works for me when I test it, to refund you. Im not going through the work to try out a pump that left here working properly with no codes that YOU said you were hotwiring. It was a USED pump with NO warranty. You arent a mechanic with any sort of certification so how am I to know you didnt screw it up? You blamed it on soaked electronics, varnish smelling yellow fuel, and UPS damage now. What the hell am I to believe since you told me in PMs that MY pump had death codes on your truck but stated on this thread it didnt have any VP related codes after install?

This is my proposal: when the pump is returned I will refund you 50% of the purchase and we will both eat it together. I paid shipping on the 500 and you paid shipping returned so I will give you 250.00 for it when it comes back immediately. Im already taking the 500 dollar hit I gave my customer credit for on this pump that you MAY OR MAY NOT have destroyed.

Did I say anything about you changing your mind? I though you were refunding his $? FYI: There were 2 diesel mechanics in JP's shop that day your pump got to his place, I spoke to them and JP and im baseing my statment off of what they told me they saw and smelled. Im just chiming in because you personally tried to discredit JP by calling him a lier on an open forum when he tried multiple times to contact you by phone so the matter could be resolved like men. You are using your clout on Comp-d to screw my friend and I think it is Bull! You sent a pump in terrible cond and in an effor to get his truck running and resolve his own problem(because you are worthless at returning phone calls. ie. customer service) he contacted Chip. Now you are saying that he fried your pump. BS! if the pump worked like YOU said why on earth would he try this! Now your back peddling and saying it buyers remorse. If it was buyer remorse then why would he order a new pump at the tune of $1875 from Chip. Makes no sense!
Fact: The mans truck does'nt run, In an effort to get it to run he purchases a pump from you. WHY? because against my best efforts to try to get him to buy from Chip the 1st time, he figured he buy a pump from you and not put his family in more finacial strain than he has too with a broke down truck. His thinking is that you are a reputable seller on Comp-d and is willing to do business with you. Now he recieves the pump via UPS and it is packaged terribly, however he pushes forward because getting his truck to run is a priority. Now the truck wont start! he calls me for info while 1 of the mechanics is still trying to help. I say to run chips tests (which 100% do not hurt a pump, because the odds of you sending him a junk pump are slim. However as it turns out the pump is in fact NO good. Now, I dont think you purposely sent him a bad pump, but the fact remains the pump never ran on his truck. Period! He is becoming a little less the patient and is extremely diappointed that you can't act like a man and pick up a phone and call him. So ya, I think his PMs are a reflection of that.

"Buyer remorse" Are you kidding me!

I stand corrected on what kind of seller you are exactly!

edit: This was written before Chris's last post.

Last edited:
BTW you didnt need to edit to ask if everything in Iowa is yellow. Lets not start with childish slanders against states or mommas or pets....I can take a f'n picture of fuel coming out of my tank if you like, to show you how yellow fuel is!

Did I say anything about you changing your mind? I though you were refunding his $? FYI: There were 2 diesel mechanics in JP's shop that day your pump got to his place, I spoke to them and JP and im baseing my statment off of what they told me they saw and smelled. Im just chiming in because you personally tried to discredit JP by calling him a lier on an open forum when he tried multiple times to contact you by phone so the matter could be resolved like men. You are using your clout on Comp-d to screw my friend and I think it is Bull! You sent a pump in terrible cond and in an effor to get his truck running and resolve his own problem(because you are worthless at returning phone calls. ie. customer service) he contacted Chip. Now you are saying that he fried your pump. BS! if the pump worked like YOU said why on earth would he try this! Now your back peddling and saying it buyers remorse. If it was buyer remorse then why would he order a new pump at the tune of $1875 from Chip. Makes no sense!
Fact: The mans truck does'nt run, In an effort to get it to run he purchases a pump from you. WHY? because against my best efforts to try to get him to buy from Chip the 1st time, he figured he buy a pump from you and not put his family in more finacial strain than he has too with a broke down truck. His thinking is that you are a reputable seller on Comp-d and is willing to do business with you. Now he recieves the pump via UPS and it is packaged terribly, however he pushes forward because getting his truck to run is a priority. Now the truck wont start! he calls me for info while 1 of the mechanics is still trying to help. I say to run chips tests (which 100% do not hurt a pump, because the odds of you sending him a junk pump are slim. However as it turns out the pump is in fact NO good. Now, I dont think you purposely sent him a bad pump, but the fact remains the pump never ran on his truck. Period! He is becoming a little less the patient and is extremely diappointed that you can't act like a man and pick up a phone and call him. So ya, I think his PMs are a reflection of that.

"Buyer remorse" Are you kidding me!

I stand corrected on what kind of seller you are exactly!

edit: This was written before Chris's last post.

First I heard of 2 diesel mechanics being there to help. Surprised neither of those guys being diesel mechanics knew proper testing procedure....

Also your friend never tried calling me until today...not once not twice...NEVER until today. I dont know him from Adam and Im not willing to get screwed either by someone I dont know. Lets reverse our positions once and you tell me you would handle this differently not knowing anyone involved personally. I dont want to hear anything about personal life strain either...YOU HAVE NO PHUCKING CLUE WHAT IVE LIVED THROUGH IN MY LIFE and if he is so bad off financially I guess he better start worrying about a dependable truck versus a modded one such as his sig shows he has. Ive made my offer and he can accept it or not. Im not gonna argue with buddies ramblings.

Id like to add also that my offer to refund 50% is invalid if for any reason that pump comes back and has ANY sign of being tapped for his Edge Comp box.

Hey Chris, can you post up your certifications? How are we to know you didnt damage the pump on removal? The point im trying to make is that everything is a 2 way street. He said, No you say, But im saying, ect ect ect.
The difference is you're running a supposed professional diesel shop and selling parts and when your used parts dont work you tell your customers its all their fault. A REAL shop would do the right thing, Not prey on people that may not know or have as much experience as you. Shame on you!

As a third party observer and a vp owner mind you, id say don't give him a dime.

Posted via tapatalk if you know what i mean

As a third party observer and a vp owner mind you, id say don't give him a dime.

X2. This is why I'll never sell a used VP online.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

I read the whole thing CSnyder has done no wrong and does not owe that individual anything. Imo

Sounds like a couple kids that don't know what the hell they are talking about!! I wouldn't give them anything back.... A used vp pump is a core IMHO

Posted from my ifail

Damnit.

Will the truck run on either?

Does it even attempt to fire on the pump only?

What are the new DTC's after the latest pump was installed?

Have you checked to verify the pump is getting power and a GOOD ground from the engine harness?

This is all important.

Back