Want to lower my 4x4 some experienced info please

Mic

So I bought a project 2500 and it currently has a 5in skyjacker in it. I want to take that out and actually lower it. Im not much of a jacked up kinda guy. I want to be about the height of a 2wd, with some wide 17's. I have read a bunch of threads on lowering, and a lot is left unexplained, or they are just really old posts.

So since is has the lift kit in it now, I dont have the stock springs, and I dont want to cut the skyjacker ones, id like to sell the kit. I know I can pick up some factory ones pretty cheap, but I was just wondering has anyone every tried the 2wd diesel front springs? Seeing as my ideal would be about 2wd height. You can get the moog 2wd spring relatively cheap. So I was thinking the springs, take the blocks out in the rear and 2wd shocks. Now I need to know, will I need to do anything say with the trac bar? or the 4wd control arms? Also what are you guys running for tire size when you are lowered?

Any info or direction would be much appreciated.

Madmikeismad should see this soon. He went through this a couple of years a go.

I traded my Skyjacker springs for stock ones. I cut little over 2 coils off. For the rear I removed the blocks and all but 2 leaves. For tires I have 31-12.50 front, 31-16.50 rear. The rear sits just a little lower. Think I might add one more leave.

2wd springs are a no-go. They are on a A-arm suspension, and would be a way too high of spring rate for a 4wd. and they would be way too short. Might look into some gas truck springs or 1500.

Many years ago I lowered the rear of my 2500 2wd by cutting and adding 2 inches to the rear shackles.
While many say this is wrong because it changes the pinion angle, it does increase the angle some but mine was so little it actually helped it.
I never had u-joint issues and the next owner drove the wheels off of it after converting it to a dually pulling trailer.
Of course you should first remove the spacers if any and I would not remove more than 1 leaf spring because it increases the possibility of spring wrap up that WILL break u-joints.
Front is simply finding the right springs.

Going off of stock suspension...
Rear: Remove Blocks, You will Need Shorter U bolts and Shocks (2wd Shocks work well)
Front: Cut 1-1.5 Coils out of spring. I wouldn't go more as you will run into steering clearance issues.... and at this point you will probably be sitting on the bump stops.

I run no blocks and Half ton springs, but I think I am going to swap to cut 2500 springs.

Attachments

• brown.jpg
    brown.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 0
I removed the rear block on mine, also cut almost a complete coil off the front with about 1/2" left of the top coil. U bolts for the rear are 8' 1/2" is what i got. Local spring shop charged me 60 bucks for them but you can get them cheaper on summitracing. Keep in mind my motor/tranny arent in it in this picture.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 0
Looks like about what I want to do. What size tire/wheel is that and what is the back spacing? Does it rub?

I dropped to bump stops and fit 305/55r20 with no rub. Just have to keep your axle centered, and get wheels with a little less backspacing.

I removed the rear block on mine, also cut almost a complete coil off the front with about 1/2" left of the top coil. U bolts for the rear are 8' 1/2" is what i got. Local spring shop charged me 60 bucks for them but you can get them cheaper on summitracing. Keep in mind my motor/tranny arent in it in this picture.

What kind of leaf pack do you have? Im looking to take my rear blocks out, just gotta order new u-bolts and shocks. Gonna go off your measurement if you have the same leaf pack. What did you go with for shocks?

Does anyone have the length of the rear U bolts and shocks I will need to do this swap?

If no one has them I will post what I find.

I just posted the length of my u bolts.... Im pretty sure its 5/8" is the thread size by 8 1/2"

I cut 3/4 of a coil out and removed the rear blocks on my old truck and ended up with the maximum I personally would lower it without worrying about some suspension issues in the front. My springs may have been a little more worn than others which is why I only needed 3/4 of a coil out IDK.

Picture of it on some little 265s

A67F37CA-F3ED-4805-BC5B-73EA29BD1BCC_zpsxbbccftw.jpg

I cut 3/4 of a coil out and removed the rear blocks on my old truck and ended up with the maximum I personally would lower it without worrying about some suspension issues in the front. My springs may have been a little more worn than others which is why I only needed 3/4 of a coil out IDK.

Picture of it on some little 265s

A67F37CA-F3ED-4805-BC5B-73EA29BD1BCC_zpsxbbccftw.jpg

Is that blue or purple?