Washington DC Newb with ?'s

Blackhatch

Alright....I have digging through the boards in search of answers and have yet to come up with too many conclusive ones in any direction.

I have done most of my reading over on the Duramax forums and am semi-familiar with all the drawbacks of those trucks per given year.

I know that the LB7's had injector issues, LLY's have overheating issues, and the late LLY's/LBZ/LMM have cast pistons that don't like too much over 500HP.

Here is my quandary...I want a truck that will get me solidly into the 12's and maybe a tad deeper without any issues. I am going to be producing and running my own BioDiesel but it will be to ASTM spec so there should not be any problems on those ends of things.

I do not want a Ford because they are very popular around here and I don't really like the company. I am torn between the Duramax equip GMs and the Cummins platforms.

What are your suggestions....???????????????????:bang

Thanks....Your avatar is great. I always knew that Truck people were my people. I am afraid we might be screwed in NOV anyway.

By CR...you guys are talking about Common Rail?

When did that become available?

I certainly want to avoid that DPF crap!!

The first CR Cummins was in 2003. You'd probably want to look for an 04.5-early 07. They didn't start running the DPF's until the 07.5 6.7L Cummins

:Cheer:

Why do you mention the 04.5 and up....? vs. the 04?

Was there a styling change? it appears that the motor was still the 24 Valve unit.

Last edited:
Hey hows it going, good to have another east coast member. I would vote for a 04.5-06 5.9 CR cummins but the Duramax is ok too. But I think you'll enjoy the steps of building up a cummins a lil more.

There's a truck pull on the Eastern Shore in Easton this Sat, you should come over and check things out should be a few nice trucks there & the Dyno will be there too.

Brett

Welcome to the board.

Why do you mention the 04.5 and up....? vs. the 04?

Was there a styling change? it appears that the motor was still the 24 Valve unit.

It is still a 24V motor it just has a different fuel injection system, a CP3 instead of a VP44, making it a high pressure system.

Nice...couple of MD boys in the house. I am in Severna Park.

If anyone is near my area, I would love to see your rig and kind of kick the tires. I am going to go for a couple of test drives today. There is a Ford, Dogde, and Chevy dealership within about 5 minutes of my office.

Hey hows it going, good to have another east coast member. I would vote for a 04.5-06 5.9 CR cummins but the Duramax is ok too. But I think you'll enjoy the steps of building up a cummins a lil more.

There's a truck pull on the Eastern Shore in Easton this Sat, you should come over and check things out should be a few nice trucks there & the Dyno will be there too.

Brett

Where and what days? I am in the process of moving my office so time will be tight.

Eric

Where and what days? I am in the process of moving my office so time will be tight.

Eric

I'd like to know that too.

IF we both make it down there, I'll let you test drive a '99 500ish HP Dodge.

It's aVP44 not CR but you'll get the idea.:Cheer:

the difference between the 03-04 and the 04.5-07 it the injector bodies in the 03-04 have been known to crack when ran with high pressure. also the piston bowl and spray angle was redesigned and the engines have about 20 more horse power stock.
i live up in white marsh and work in beltsville and there are over 50 maryland guys around with cummins

Thanks for the offers so far guys. I will have to take a couple of you guys up on it.

Is the 6.7L engine that much more powerful than the 5.9?

Reason I ask is because in the end, I don't really give a **** if I have to ditch the DPF and put EFI live on it or something equivalent to trick the computer.

I know that will F with my warranty but I am not too concerned about that right now and I will likely have a spare ECU to keep in stock form.

the difference between the 03-04 and the 04.5-07 it the injector bodies in the 03-04 have been known to crack when ran with high pressure. also the piston bowl and spray angle was redesigned and the engines have about 20 more horse power stock.
i live up in white marsh and work in beltsville and there are over 50 maryland guys around with cummins

What killed your last truck...? Accident?

I would stick with the 5.9 and buy something thats a lil used if you plan on making alot of power with it cause your gonna end up replacing most of the stuff thats usually wears out anyways.

Brett

yeah had the rear end come around on me in the rain and ended up in the woods. i was going to rebuild it until i found the front drives side frame was bent. just a little and i couldn't tell where its was bent at so i wasn't sure if the drive train was affected or not so i parted it and got a new one. you should let me know when you want to take a ride in my truck i'll have you hooked faster than you can say holy chit!

Back