Wastegate advice

milldog

Yup...
I am going to be bringing my 38mm Tial wastegate right off a 2nd gen manifold. What technique do you recommend to weld the tubing I will be using to the cast manifold? I was thinking having someone O/A weld it but am worried about warping. Also do any of you have pics of a setup similar to this.

Thanks

wastegate1.JPG

1115081118.jpg

Use ductile steel pipe to weld to the cast manifold not typical exhaust tubing.

Sylican bronze rod with a tig will do the trick just fine

What welding process did you use to minimize warping the manifold or is that not an issue?

I will ask my buddy who I had weld it. The weld must be needled though.

You would be better off doing a wastegate adapter plate like the one Engineered Diesel sells or doing a custom carbon steel sch. 40 manifold, than trying to weld cast iron.
Trust me it SUCKS! I have done it a few times in the field and alot of the time it cracks and then you are chasing them out.

Here is a good article I have saved.
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/knowledge/articles/content/castironpreheat.asp

Mine is solid as a rock and not cracking one bit. Secret is the fitment. I used a hole sale to cut the hole in the manifold and the ductile steel pipe fit tight in the hole.

The ED piece is very nice and I would recommend it. Just wasn't avaiable yet when I built mine.

You could always do a high temp braze. I think you can find stuff that melts around 1600*. Your manifold should never hit much more than 1200 unless you're building a land speed record truck that might be WOT for minutes at a time.

I'll see if I can get some more info from the guy who did mine...I know they heated up the manifold pretty well.

tial38mm.jpg

Jason,Looks like the sylican bronze rod was used on that.