what brand of gooseneck

I think most any brand that is a member of NATM association will be fine. I'm just a sucker for little things like steps, lights, chain spools, and other little misc chit that most folks don't think about. The only thing my new trailer don't have is 2 speed jacks....but it was on the lot and I just bought it. Got tired of shopping.

NATM Home

You mentioned it before I got to that....I have a 2006 big tex 25gn and it has the two speed jacks and they are handy. Especially when you are hovering around 13,000 on the trailer that already weighs 7100 dry and you need to get it off your truck for any reason. I can't speak for the new trailers that big tex makes but my older model has made me a ton of money hauling scrap metal, I think I put around 35,000 miles on it in one year and have gone through plenty of tires but only two wheel seals on the trailer itself so pretty pleased so far........

Agreed, but I bought it CHEAP, so I did not mind to much. Heck it will cost me more to put a pair of 10k under it than I paid for the trailer, so it is staying like it is and one day I will buy another with the correct axles.

Whats your heavy trailer with light axles registered/titled for weight wise? I was actually contemplating trying to find or ordering something like that. I need something heavy enough to occasionally move a large mini excavator or some other comparable equipment, but have the GVW be lighter than what the trailer really is so if im out of town with my truck on the trailer i wont get wacked with an out of class ticket.

IT has semi tags on it, the GVRW on the trailer is 14k as per the manufactures tag. With a pulling truck on the trailer and 1k# of weights I am flirting with 14k, throw a four wheeler on there and technically I am over. I have private not for hire on the side and so far have not been messed with.

IT has semi tags on it, the GVRW on the trailer is 14k as per the manufactures tag. With a pulling truck on the trailer and 1k# of weights I am flirting with 14k, throw a four wheeler on there and technically I am over. I have private not for hire on the side and so far have not been messed with.

Yes but is the 14K on the trailer? How much on the back of the truck?

Yes but is the 14K on the trailer? How much on the back of the truck?

All 14k is on the trailer, but the weight transfers to the truck some. I know what you are getting at, and that is one of the reasons I am not that worried about it. By GVRW I am under what I need for a CDL technically, but this thread is not about getting into all of that.

The net weight rating on the trailer sticker considers the proper tongue weight transfered to the truck. You can't subtract it. If you are putting 3K or better on the ass end of your truck, chances are if your trailer axle weight isn't over the limit, then your truck rear axle is. Double edged sword. I do have a excel spread sheet that I use to approximate axle ratings if I have advance notice of the type of load. Then I can load it accordingly and not be too far off if I get stopped and weighed.

You can use the same spreadsheet for anything as long as you know how many points contact the trailer and how much each point carries. I used this for (17) 4' x 5' bales of hay earlier this year. Actually, the totals are for 12 (none up top).

HayCalc.jpg

Last edited:
Corn Pro is my pick after pulling a bunch of other brands. Mortz would be second.

what about the longer trailers that are able to pull 2 trucks at a time. anyone have any experience?

what about the longer trailers that are able to pull 2 trucks at a time. anyone have any experience?

We used to do it with a 40ft Rollin S trailer. Never had a problem. But you better have a good truck hooked to the front of it. haha I believe the trailer is rite around 10k by itself.

Last edited:
I have a 2011 Load Max 31+5 tandem dual. I had a 2010 with no torque tube and did not like it, flexed way too much for my liking. This new one has all the extra support I could get on it and also ordered it with spread axles, I love it. Tows like a dream empty, with a pulling truck or a backhoe on it.

CORN PRO!!!
I just sold my 20+5 14k. And now looking for a 25+5 tandem dual Corn pro! I was told you can buy them direct or $200 over cost from a neighbor of Corn Pro but I havent received the number from my friend yet :doh:

Last year at Buckeye Blast, Coyote trailers had a 30' tandem dual on display and it was nice!!! paint appeared to be pretty darn good! No local dealers around me so I havent seen another one in person.

Cornpro Trailers

Coyote Trailers :: Home Page

I have pulled with several different brands and my favorite would be a fleetneck by diamond c trailers... Lots of standard features that i found to be options on other trailers. I currently have a 32+5 fleetneck trailer now. I love the trailer. Traded a big tex 25gn for it. Best decision I made.

If you unhook your trailer everyday for a year or so loaded it will need new jacks if you dont grease them I used to pull for someone else we just put on two speed jacks then I also have full air ride on my 96 so I dont have to crank up loaded trailer anymore love the air ride

I love Hooper trailers, there too far from any of yall to justify buying one but they have always been good to me. I have a 2005 14k bumper pull that has well over 150k miles has been t-boned twice by retards when it had a t-300 on it, I have replaced both axles after each time and its still going strong. Then I have a 97 Hooper that I bought in a huge lot of repo equipment from the back for ruffly $200 and spent another $1200 at Hooper having them put a goose neck on it and redoing the lights. Its 20+5 with 10k dexter oil bath axles, I dont think I would ever get rid of it seeing how I only have $1400 in it. Not to mention I can be to there plant in 15 minutes from my house and they have always fixed everything for free on any of there trailers for me

Here is a link to there website Hooper Trailer Sales

In the past I have bought cheap trailers and payed for it. There wasnt enough welding rods in GA to keep them together

I have no complaints with my 2009 20+5 14k Load Max. Bought new. Seems to be well built and hold up to only ~8k lb pickups on it. The dealer said PJ was Load Max's/Trail's high end line. They look the same to me, just more lights and such on the PJ's. I'm looking for a 40' Load Max to be able to get two pickups on it.

I bought a 27+5 20k Pro Trak and its been great. I paid 7k out the door and its got dexter axles and a low pro

Attachments

• tow rig back.jpg
    tow rig back.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 0