What does "floating" the valves sound like?

nrussell

Recently at boost levels of 50-60psi I am hearing a rapid flutter. The closest sound I can compare it to would be when you shuffle/arc a deck of cards while shuffling them. Does that make since?
Could it be a boost leak? Valves "floating"?
IDK! Your help is much appreciated.
Neil

you sure your turbo isnt fluttering, whatr size turbo to run 50-60psi?

nrussell said:
2006 mega 4x4 srw, Garmon Billet tranny, hpfp150, MPI twins (Silv62 w/s400), smarty, tstr49, Evil twins, Flux 2's,

Those size.

You still on stock springs? Have you checked your valve lash?

how do you know did he post that? people should be more clear, like its the truck in my sig. whooo that was hard

what rpm is it happening at with those boost levels? it could be one of your wastegates also or perhaps a manifold exhaust leak. causing the sound....
in my experience floating the valves limits rpm but fifnt really have a sound (in my 2 gas v8 engines buick 455 and chevy 350)
according to other posts if you are running stock springs at that boost level and or are running 3500 rpm you will be floating the valves.
good luck

what rpm is it happening at with those boost levels? it could be one of your wastegates also or perhaps a manifold exhaust leak. causing the sound....
in my experience floating the valves limits rpm but fifnt really have a sound (in my 2 gas v8 engines buick 455 and chevy 350)
according to other posts if you are running stock springs at that boost level and or are running 3500 rpm you will be floating the valves.
good luck
2800-3200rpm
i wonder if my intake plenum gasket is leaking? some of my exhaust mani bolts were loose and one was actually gone..........
the sound seems to be in front of me on drivers side. i wonder if my stock plastic intercooler boot on intake is cracked and leaking, or would that sound different? i'm just tryin to figure it out:bang

sounds like you got a list of things to check..
enjoy your couple of hours in the cold!

Like this im told. I had no marks on pistons though. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdCutWU7LUA
That is friggin looouud!!!! I don't think mine sounds like that, unless it sounds different on the inside compared to the outside. mine sounds like a rapid fluttering resembling air being squeezed out of a tight spot. maybe it is my head gasket. that really sucks if it is. I have already replaced it once. thanks bro.

Check the gasket between your manifold and turbo. Those bolts loosen a little and it will flutter at higher boost/ rpm's until it breaks from slapping back and forth.

What kind of rail pressure you seeing? When I am running my truck tuned all the way with the EZ on high, I get what seems to be a pressure rattle/flutter in my higher rpms. I turn the EZ down, and it's no more.

What kind of rail pressure you seeing? When I am running my truck tuned all the way with the EZ on high, I get what seems to be a pressure rattle/flutter in my higher rpms. I turn the EZ down, and it's no more.
i have the evil twins, so my rail pressure at wot will be 25k easy. and i do NOT use any kind of pressure box. i've tried all timing settings on smarty from 2-4 and it still popping/fluttering.

It shows up in his signature for me.

your a jackass, my sentence states that he needs to say it is the truck in his sig, not put a truck in his sig and then me guess it prob the twin turbo truck in his sig. I dont know how many times Ive posted **** that doesnt have to do with my truck.

i have the evil twins, so my rail pressure at wot will be 25k easy. and i do NOT use any kind of pressure box. i've tried all timing settings on smarty from 2-4 and it still popping/fluttering.

what does twins have to do with rail pressure? if you havent added any pressure boxes your rail pressure would not be 25k? maybe Im thinking outside the box?

your a jackass, my sentence states that he needs to say it is the truck in his sig, not put a truck in his sig and then me guess it prob the twin turbo truck in his sig. I dont know how many times Ive posted **** that doesnt have to do with my truck.

Sorry to get you all riled up. I am pretty sure most forums I am on the default is that the truck in signature is the one that people are asking about unless stated other wise. That is the reason for signatures right?