What timing??

dodgemaniac

Im about to bump the timing on my truck for pulling and wondering what i should go with? Truck has a 215 pump with full cut dv's and no fuel plate. injectors are 5x14 and turbo is a 65/66/14

I dont drive the truck alot but still drive it to the pulls. Will most likely only drive it a few weeks during the winter.

I was thinking in the 24-26 range but im not really sure.

One of our trucks is running 33* of timing with a 190 pump, 5k springs, full cuts, 5x.018's, no plate, and a 2.8 turbo. An aftermarket cam is in as well. Weve only been able to put about three hooks on the motor since we got it together, and we've had some non related problems, but the motor seems to run really well. I should also mention it has the marine style pistons.

i'm in about the same position as you dodgemaniac. i only put mine up to 20 but i'd like to go higher if possible. i run it very seldom but do once in a while drive it to the pulls.

i ran 32* for almost a year and 10k without issues.. would pull hard and heald 4400 in 3rd low with duals and 3.54 gears. won every pull it entered out here but thats not really saying a whole lot.. 26* for a while but gained 40hp by bumping it up to 32..

i ran 32* for almost a year and 10k without issues.. would pull hard and heald 4400 in 3rd low with duals and 3.54 gears. won every pull it entered out here but thats not really saying a whole lot.. 26* for a while but gained 40hp by bumping it up to 32..

do u think with my current setup i could go to say 24-25 and be ok?

im running 26 in mine now.. i would hesitate to try it if i were you. unless you dont have something done to hold you head gasket in..

Just to fill in I ended up bumping mine to 25* it helped on the rpm but now im running out of fuel with stock lift pump. I still drive it on the street but have noticed a slight increase in EGT's when cruising.

im running 26 in mine now.. i would hesitate to try it if i were you. unless you dont have something done to hold you head gasket in..

i'm not fire ringed or o ringed but i do have arp headstuds. do u feel i'd gain much from going from 20 to say 24ish???

the 215 pumps have start retard plungers . if you dont run a plate and go past a certain amount of rack travel it'll retard the timing and loose any were from 8 to 12 degrees .

One of our pullers is running 33 degrees of timing on just a1 h11 studs. so far there have been no hg issues but it may just be luck. thats interesting about the pump timing and rack travel. i hadnt heard that. do other pumps respond similarly other than the 215 ?

One of our pullers is running 33 degrees of timing on just a1 h11 studs. so far there have been no hg issues but it may just be luck. thats interesting about the pump timing and rack travel. i hadnt heard that. do other pumps respond similarly other than the 215 ?

that only applies to pumps with start retard plungers and most of the later pumps have retard plungers . thats one of the first things we do at our shop before calibrating a pump with start retard plungers . to make sure that it doesnt reach that point of rack travel to go into start retard .

Last edited: