what transfercase?

Well I just got off the phone with Vern he said that the ford version 271 has a different bolt pattern as well, and it would cost more to convert than it was worth.

He said the only way to go is get the dodge version of the 271, bolt right in.

all dodge 3500s came with dhd case from 1994 to 02 im pretty sure someone correct me if im wrong. i run a nv271 i love it its a dodge case with ford tail section so i have a slip yoke eliminator it shifts smooth no grinding ever so far and it is massive i mean it barely fits but its totally worth it imo.

I agree!!! The rear out put on 205's are weak and when ya put some power to them the gears tend to clime and splits the case. Iv had a lot of trouble with them over the years!!! My biggest problem was the out put being weak.

BINGO. Broke two last year and hooked only 5 times. The out put starts to walk inside of the input, (if you've had one apart you know what i'm talking about). The profab kit runs around $1,400 ,it just replaces all the internals with low gears.So you're ratio would be 1.96 all the time. A few guys we run with have them and havn't had any issue's. It's the damn coupling between the case and tranny.

i run a nv271 i love it its a dodge case with ford tail section so i have a slip yoke eliminator it shifts smooth no grinding ever so far and it is massive i mean it barely fits but its totally worth it imo.

got any more info on the slip yoke eliminator been looking at doing this to my 271 i know scott (BBD) had this on his old puller but i think his was a ford transfercase

Well I just got off the phone with Vern he said that the ford version 271 has a different bolt pattern as well, and it would cost more to convert than it was worth.

So what dodge trucks came with 271's...id like to upgrade to the 271!!!

Vern knows his stuff but I find that hard to believe. I retained the ford 273 in my excursion, bolted right up to my 48RE (with an input shaft swap). Since I think you can get Fords with either the 271 or 273 I find it hard to believe the bolt pattern would be different between the two... (been wrong before though)

I have a ford 271 in the garage and a tailsection of a 48RE, I'll try to fit it together and report back...

Well that's interesting.... The Ford 271 wouldn't fit up to the 48RE. Bolt pattern looked OK, but the the protruding piece was too large to fit into the recessed portion of the 48RE. Maybe the ford 271 only came on manual trucks and the 273 only came on auto's? That could explain why they could have different mounting configurations.

I do know that my 273 fit up perfectly with my 48RE on the Excursion...

all dodge 3500s came with dhd case from 1994 to 02 im pretty sure someone correct me if im wrong. i run a nv271 i love it its a dodge case with ford tail section so i have a slip yoke eliminator it shifts smooth no grinding ever so far and it is massive i mean it barely fits but its totally worth it imo.

The 94-95 3500s have a DHD, but it is the wrong DHD. There are 3 transfercases available form 94-97
DLD
DLD with a pto cover(it is labeled a DHD, but it has a small output shaft)
DHD the best way to find this is to look for like a 1996+ 3500 with the 3.54 gears. I think with the increased hp in 96 they were afraid of the smaller DHD not holding up.

the 273 is electric shift 271 is manual and my t case is built to my spec dodge 29spline input and ford tailsection for sye kit i love its the best mod so far on the truck drivetrian wise

Back