Whatever happened to Orange Crush?

I remember seeing it run like 10.20 at 145mph back in '07....stupid Allisons ;)

You got that partly right, was an Allison but not stupid, way too smart for it's own good in a racing application. They are much better now thanks to guys like Mike L who has worked and worked on them to make them survive under big horsepower and racing conditions. With a truck that light there are several options that would work better today. That truck probably didn't more than 750 or 800 hp, lots more options today for power from a Duramax as well.

Used to sound like he was letting off the throttle for it to shift. LOL

That was probably the tuning, really not much known about tranny tuning in those days and the trucks would defuel automatically on the shifts especailly when they saw big power and hadn't been had enough time to learn. Something very common because you didn't drive them enough to get the tranny to self learn.

Last edited:
That was probably the tuning, really not much known about tranny tuning in those days and the trucks would defuel automatically on the shifts especailly when they saw big power and hadn't been had enough time to learn. Something very common because you didn't drive them enough to get the tranny to self learn.

I thought it had tuning to skip certain gears but just what I heard so not sure.

We watched it run (slow) at Norwalk last year at NADM's sorry attempt at an event. It was running like crap that night though. Then they couldn't get it started for about an hour in the pits while trying to put it on the trailer.

I thought it had tuning to skip certain gears but just what I heard so not sure.

You might be right Rob, Steve Cole was the tuner and I didn't think things had progressed much with tuning the tranny in those days but I could be wrong.

Steve wasn't the original tuner, just opened up their eyes to a few things, don't think he did anything with the trans tuning that was the other guy.