what's the fastest gear you guys run

I run a 11.15 final with 33's. It works great for my setup. Another one of our trucks runs a 10.14 final drive with 35's and it's one of the strongest trucks around. Our trucks seem to like the high final drive, others around here have good luck with lower final drives.

I would think the commonrail trucks would run a higher final gear (lower #) because they can take advantage of the low end power. I made my comment on gear ratios thinking of a high rpm P-pump truck. Heck, I used to run a 11.97 final when I was VP powered. It depends on the truck being built, where it makes power and how you choose to use it.
Jared, you may be on to something with that set-up and twins. idk. It just seemed like a big jump from where you were.$.02

I would think the commonrail trucks would run a higher final gear (lower #) because they can take advantage of the low end power. I made my comment on gear ratios thinking of a high rpm P-pump truck. Heck, I used to run a 11.97 final when I was VP powered. It depends on the truck being built, where it makes power and how you choose to use it.
Jared, you may be on to something with that set-up and twins. idk. It just seemed like a big jump from where you were.$.02

guess i'll just have to try something an see how it works thanks for the input

I was going to try runing a 12.55 final with 35'' dauls and a twin setup. Last year I ran a 13.9 with 35" and it just never worked the motor till the end i mean it was doing something because I tore out two ringgears.

I ran 3.2 twins in the 2009 season with a 10.14 final and 33" tires, I would reach 3600-3700rpm and break the tires back loose and spin out once I dropped to 3100-3200rpm and gain rpm back...

im gonna run 3rd gear 4 low with my truck. is a nv4500 5spd with 3.54's and 33" bfg ats. opinions?

2nd hi 3.73gears 285/75/r17tires yep real dumb was it worth is o yes it was. now i have a clutch to handle it hahaha darn 3rd gen 5 speeds

o i got the 5speed nv4500

2nd hi is my gear 3rd low if i have no idea of the track

im gonna run 3rd gear 4 low with my truck. is a nv4500 5spd with 3.54's and 33" bfg ats. opinions?

The couple of times I pulled last year I went 3rd LO and I should have went 4th. But I have a 6 spd, 35's and 3.54's. Next year I'll go 4th LO, it was just a completely new setup for me and didnt know what to go with...

Better have some rpm

3.54's are really too tall unless you are gonna turn some big rpms

I agree with Dan & Duck....you better be spinning some BIG rpm. I was running 3.55's 5spd & 33's for the past several years. Every year I was getting further and further back in the pack. The final drive for 3.55/3rd Low just can't go fast enough to compete any more hardly. Its like a 16.02 compared to mid-high 13's with a 6spd in 4th low.

I finally managed to get swapped to 4.88's earlier this year, but only got one hook on them before I had to start a complete motor rebuild. You better be spinning north of 5K if your gonna be competitive with 3.55's.

I agree with Dan & Duck....you better be spinning some BIG rpm. I was running 3.55's 5spd & 33's for the past several years. Every year I was getting further and further back in the pack. The final drive for 3.55/3rd Low just can't go fast enough to compete any more hardly. Its like a 16.02 compared to mid-high 13's with a 6spd in 4th low.

I finally managed to get swapped to 4.88's earlier this year, but only got one hook on them before I had to start a complete motor rebuild. You better be spinning north of 5K if your gonna be competitive with 3.55's.

Or put a bigger tire under the truck if you want to run that gear. Bigger tires will get your ground speed up some compared to running a smaller tire. Will be somewhat nominal difference but definitely won't hurt!

Or put a bigger tire under the truck if you want to run that gear. Bigger tires will get your ground speed up some compared to running a smaller tire. Will be somewhat nominal difference but definitely won't hurt!

I spent 45 minutes looking for a video from 2009 on YouTube and other truck pulling websites....even made 2 phone calls to confirm the location...vid never got posted. :bang LOL

I had a couple of buddies tell me to try 35's to see if that would help for my lack of better gear. My truck ran worse and finished next to last that night....my 33's went back on before the next pull. :badidea::doh: I turned 4500RPM's coming out of the hole that night...have no clue what it did down the track but I know I didn't like it and I did better with smaller tires.

Last edited:
yeah a 33 to a 35 isn't a big enough difference for a truck that needs gears. you would have to go to a tall 36 or 37 to really get much effect. I have played with tires ALOT when all along should have just went with the 4.56 gears that I ended up with in the end

depends on power but i would think you would need a lower gear 4.56-4.88 as 4.10's and 4th low is still a tall gear

The American Ride runs a 17.39 on short tracks like 275-295 feet and 16.25 on tracks longer now that it is running 5000+ rpms. When the truck was rpm limited to under 4000 it ran 13.57 or 14.61 based on the track length. The truck has 35" tires.

Last edited:
The American Ride runs a 17.39 on short tracks like 275-295 feet and 16.25 on tracks longer now that it is running 5000+ rpms. When the truck was rpm limited to under 4000 it ran 13.57 or 14.61 based on the track length. The truck has 35" tires.

That was with just shy of 700 rwhp all year... If it was a 900-1000 rwhp truck he would have to be down in the 12-13.5 range or he would need to be turning 6000+rpm.