Which is best?

Get a Dodge with the 12 valve Cummins (first or 2nd gen). They have a proven track record, they are mechanical so you don't have to worry about computer issues. And if it can get fuel...it will run!

Welcome to CompD!
Are you still planning to drive it regularly on the street, or will it be a dedicated puller? Will you also drag race it at times? I've never pulled, but have been to many pulls. I've been drag racing for a while though. Do you read Diesel Power magazine? Some interesting info in their Diesel Power Challenge (where trucks are scored in several categories including pulling and drag racing).

I have been considering building a multi-purpose truck (which would occasionally hook to a sled), and I'm still torn about what I would build. Originally it was going to be a 1998 QC/LB 12V Dodge, wanting the simplicity of the 12V. I figured I could change out plates and even injectors depending on what I was doing with it (and run a charger combo that works well with towing). However, it is sure nice to be able to quickly swap tunes on an electronically-fueled truck, to allow it some decent street manners and towing capability. I have seen some Chevy trucks lately that have done very well as multi-purpose trucks. In other words, if it is more of a dedicated pulling truck then I would get a 12V Dodge, otherwise I'd go with a Duramax.