Which programer is the best for my Cummins

SpyderTB said:
ok now so with all of this going on here i know about the PPE and the PPE hot programers but how do those and the smarty compair to one another?

it all depends on who you ask my friend.

smarty is said to give you increase fuel economy, more power, great drivability, 10 years on your life, better chances to win the lottery, will reverse all medical ailments you may have, gives great marriage advice, will mow the lawn on command, will babysit when needed, is a great wart ointment and is a great code reader. ah what the hell am i talking about... i have obviously been drinking tonight. i have dismantled mine right down the middle. i use on half for cleaning the dog kennel and the other half for cleaning the kitty litter. :kick:

PPE. not sure. i plug it in and the truck smokes and makes feel so fast.

Camotanker said:
it all depends on who you ask my friend.

smarty is said to give you increase fuel economy, more power, great drivability, 10 years on your life, better chances to win the lottery, will reverse all medical ailments you may have, gives great marriage advice, will mow the lawn on command, will babysit when needed, is a great wart ointment and is a great code reader. ah what the hell am i talking about... i have obviously been drinking tonight. i have dismantled mine right down the middle. i use on half for cleaning the dog kennel and the other half for cleaning the kitty litter. :kick:

PPE. not sure. i plug it in and the truck smokes and makes feel so fast.

FINALLY, A WART OINTMENT THAT MIGHT ACTUALLY WORK! MAN BUT @ ALMOST $700, MAY NOT BE WORTH IT :poke:

SpyderTB said:
ok now so with all of this going on here i know about the PPE and the PPE hot programers but how do those and the smarty compair to one another?

Well, it doesn't do all of what Camo says or it would be worth a lot more than $700 :hehe: I need me one of them there things!

All you can really do, is try them out for yourself. The boxes in questions can all make power. Some just do it better than others and that may complete depend on the truck too. Customer service should also be taken into consideration. Talk to and get a feel for who you're dealing with. That makes a world a difference in my choices, good product or not.

Not everyone is going to agree on which to go with... that's why I say try them for yourself. You can always sell them if they don't work out.

FWIW... I've been through 3 different programmers and am still using the Smarty :ft:

I agree with triton, you need to try a downloader on your truck to see how it will perform, sometimes that means investing $$$ and then reselling at some loss. I also have had Superchips, BD Triple Dog and Smarty over the last couple of years. They all worked and I did not have any major issues with any of them. The Smarty is the one that performed they best out of the three on my truck configuration. I have seen other trucks that the BD Triple Dog did better than a Smarty, although that was early on and not with the latest updates. Just my .02.

I own a BD triple w/ Crazy Larry.........You see my numbers....How does that compare to the Smarty's latest.....BD says that CL is a 180HP program for the Cummins.....

I've only owned the one BD and nothing else. Well, my MP8 but thats different......My main questions is , IS THERE ANY OTHER PROGRAMER OUT THERE THAT HAS THE ABILITY TO ADJUST 4 DIFFERENT TUNES ON-THE-FLY WITHIN A SECOND?????????

I don't race (yet) and use this for a daily driver....Being able to go to stock, Towing, Performance, or Crazy L. is very useful for me without having to plug back up and reload or even just change program......I can SMOKE at will OR drive without any Smoke at WOT all at my control with the Outlook monitor..

Smarty, PPE, etc may make a little more power, but until I start racing (win the LOTTO) I like my setup.....$.02

Big Swole said:
I own a BD triple w/ Crazy Larry.........You see my numbers....How does that compare to the Smarty's latest.....BD says that CL is a 180HP program for the Cummins.....

I've only owned the one BD and nothing else. Well, my MP8 but thats different......My main questions is , IS THERE ANY OTHER PROGRAMER OUT THERE THAT HAS THE ABILITY TO ADJUST 4 DIFFERENT TUNES ON-THE-FLY WITHIN A SECOND?????????

I don't race (yet) and use this for a daily driver....Being able to go to stock, Towing, Performance, or Crazy L. is very useful for me without having to plug back up and reload or even just change program......I can SMOKE at will OR drive without any Smoke at WOT all at my control with the Outlook monitor..

Smarty, PPE, etc may make a little more power, but until I start racing (win the LOTTO) I like my setup.....$.02

I'd have to agree with you. The BD has a nice box that's very user friendly and has several features other don't have. It just doesn't have the fueling and power the smarty does. The smarty really isn't for racing itself. They do have a couple beta programs that work for racing and are working on ( from what I hear ) a tune for racing.

It just depends on the software you're running and on what level that you will either have better mpg's or better hp or better towing! They've had issue with too much smoke and too high of temp but, that seems to be getting worked oout now with this newer siftware.

You're right too about how nice it is to have the on the fly adjustability but, on many levels of the smarty software there's no need to change anything when daily driving. It can smoke when you want, it can go balls to the wall and also achieve good mpg's.

I have a BD too and do like it but, IMO it's very mild in throttle response, power and mpg's in comparison. What I like about the BD is it's ability to do all the dealer type adjustments..i,e. fog light on with high beams, high idle...etc. As Don said though.... that's all taking up RAM that could be used for better performance.

triton said:
I'd have to agree with you. The BD has a nice box that's very user friendly and has several features other don't have. It just doesn't have the fueling and power the smarty does. The smarty really isn't for racing itself. They do have a couple beta programs that work for racing and are working on ( from what I hear ) a tune for racing.

It just depends on the software you're running and on what level that you will either have better mpg's or better hp or better towing! They've had issue with too much smoke and too high of temp but, that seems to be getting worked oout now with this newer siftware.

You're right too about how nice it is to have the on the fly adjustability but, on many levels of the smarty software there's no need to change anything when daily driving. It can smoke when you want, it can go balls to the wall and also achieve good mpg's.

I have a BD too and do like it but, IMO it's very mild in throttle response, power and mpg's in comparison. What I like about the BD is it's ability to do all the dealer type adjustments..i,e. fog light on with high beams, high idle...etc. As Don said though.... that's all taking up RAM that could be used for better performance.

It's too bad that someone can't come up with ALL the positives of Every brand and make one......I'd sell my BD or PAY to upgrade if BD came out with new software If I could GET IT ALL!!!

DOES ANYONE ELSE KNOW OF A CUSTOM TUNE FROM BD THAT'LL GIVE ME THE POWER OF THE SMARTY BUT STILL KEEP ME FEATURES???

i'm looking for power and veratility with upcoming mods. (sorry bout the spelled if vers. is wrong)...........But BD or Smarty?

Big Swole said:
It's too bad that someone can't come up with ALL the positives of Every brand and make one......I'd sell my BD or PAY to upgrade if BD came out with new software If I could GET IT ALL!!!

DOES ANYONE ELSE KNOW OF A CUSTOM TUNE FROM BD THAT'LL GIVE ME THE POWER OF THE SMARTY BUT STILL KEEP ME FEATURES???

Big Swole we(you) are limited by the ecm memory. Bullydog shift on the fly is really smoke and mirrors (3 fueling maps)

There is no physical way to change software while the system is in use.

Marco is always looking outside the box so you never know.

Thanks
Bob

Bob Wagner said:
Big Swole we(you) are limited by the ecm memory. Bullydog shift on the fly is really smoke and mirrors (3 fueling maps)

There is no physical way to change software while the system is in use.

Marco is always looking outside the box so you never know.

Thanks
Bob

It may be smoke and mirrors, But IT WORKS.........

I've been interested in the Smarty and also others but I'm just not sure spending the $ for a trial and error is worth the few extra HP I may see and losing the On-the-fly option.....

I think with my current numbers, a little bigger sticks, Mod CP3, maybe a TST stack, or a Rail / Dual feed line upgrade, etc. (only 1 or 2 of these....or all) Would be more satisfying for my current interest.....

If I decide to go racing in the future, I'll prob. go toward the Smarty!! But who knows what the future holds for all the other brands!

Thanks for the reply Bob!!:Cheer: :thankyou2:

Thanks man and I appreciate your line of work too. If you need anything please ask :rockwoot:

Bob Wagner said:
Thanks man and I appreciate your line of work too. If you need anything please ask :rockwoot:

Will do!!

Thanks!!! It's a Calling, ya know........