Which Turbo for My Application?

EddieCTD

Black Cloud Producer
I am researching a turbo for my truck. I use my 04.5 Ram as my daily driver and tow vehicle for my 7,000GVW 26 foot race car trailer. I would also like to drag race it at my local strip to lump up on some unsuspecting ricers. Ultimately, I'd like to see the truck in the 12's. While I'm pretty up on turbos for turbo Buicks, I'm not quite up to speed on turbos for turbo diesels (specifically CR Rams). Basically, I need a turbo that will spool well enough for towing my relatively light 7,000 GVW trailer and be responsive enough for daily driving (mixed in-town and highway driving).

As the truck sits with it's current mods, EGT's climb rediculously fast with the Juice set on 5 and especially 6 (the difference in power between 5 and 6 is almost as dramatic as the difference between 1 and 5). I'm also draining the rail quickly thanks to the stock lift pump, but an AirDog 150 is in the works. I would like a turbo that would enable me to effectively use the higher settings on my Juice and Striker 2 (pressure module) and keep EGT's in check at WOT. On level 6, EGT's hit 1600* at around 60mph. There is NO WAY I'd be able to use level 6 at the track.

A tech at HTT recommened the HTB2/64 Killer B2 SS Quickspool Turbo (64/65/13). Said it wouldn't be the best for racing but the 64 compressor housing would flow enough to get by with racing and the 65/13 on the turbine side would spool well enough for daily driving and towing and is easily upgradeable in the future to a 71 turbine if need be.

I would like some input from the gurus here at CompD. Does the above HTT turbo sound like the way to go? Would the 62/71/14 be better? Which ever turbo I do end up going with, it would be nice if it would also make for a good top turbo should I decide to go with twins later on.

I like the 71 wheel, but the 65 will be great for towing and mild hot rodding around. I would get the 14cm iron housing vs. the 13 stainless.

and the upgrade from 65mm turbine to 71mm turbine is easy if you're the turbo shop, but you might inquire how much $$$ they consider "easy" :eek:

I don't think a 14cm housing is an option for this turbo. It's either 13 or 16.

Does the 64/65/13 flow enough to get the truck in the 12's? I believe it's rated for 500-550hp. Given the weight of a quad cab, short bed SLT, I figured I would need 600rwhp to get into the 12's.

I wasn't given a quote on how much it would cost to swap the 65 wheel for the 71, I was told it would be a "fraction of the cost" (of new I'm assuming)

I've only got a II Silver 62/12 at close to 600hp and i'm in the mid 12's and it tows great too....EGT's are not bad either.

Not sure about the wheel size, but the Silver 62 is adverstised as having a 74....not sure if they changed it because I ordered the 12cm housing...

I've only got a II Silver 62/12 at close to 600hp and i'm in the mid 12's and it tows great too....EGT's are not bad either.

Not sure about the wheel size, but the Silver 62 is adverstised as having a 74....not sure if they changed it because I ordered the 12cm housing...

If the Silver 62 tows great with a 74 wheel, then I shouldn't have a problem with a 64/71, right? Seems that a 64/71 strikes a compromise between the smaller compressor and larger turbine of the Silver 62. I only tow on weekends during race season and even then the trip to the track is only an hour. If I do end up having a spooling issue with something like a 64/71/14, I guess I could go for a set of sticks then?

Decisions, decisions...

If the Silver 62 tows great with a 74 wheel, then I shouldn't have a problem with a 64/71, right? Seems that a 64/71 strikes a compromise between the smaller compressor and larger turbine of the Silver 62. I only tow on weekends during race season and even then the trip to the track is only an hour. If I do end up having a spooling issue with something like a 64/71/14, I guess I could go for a set of sticks then?

Decisions, decisions...

I would tend to agree but i'm still learning as well....This 62 is my first aftermarket charger so I don't have much other experience with it....But, seems the 64 setup you mentions should be great for you Light Towing needs!!

$.02
Good luck with it!

I run an industrail silver 62/14. It tows great and has good street manners. A friend of mine used to have an 06 megacab with a siver bullet (66/16 i think). He sled pulled with the truck and haulled cattle and feed from state to state with it. I believe it pulled pretty good, though he aslo had industrial 35lpm injectors and an industrial stg 3 CP3 with the dual feed line. I would say the Silver 64/14 would be plenty for you, then all you will need is just to upgrade the fuel side a little and you should be in the 12's easy.

Decisions, decisions...

No. Not really how it works. Between the 71 and 74 compressor wheel on a 62 turbo, it might be a difference of 25-50rpm in spool up (not noticeable) the difference between a 62 and a 64 is about 250 rpm spool difference. Its always worse on an auto of course. Always account for jacked up timing if you have a 12 valve. The more timing, the worse your bottom end spool will be.

Heres a helpful compilement that Ive come up with about my 2cond gen 12 valve with a 89% stall converter.

a II62 lights at about 2000 rpms, a 64 at 2250 and a 66 at 2500 rpms. Dont go any larger than a 62 if you tow alot. Hold out for the twins and that 62 will make a killer top turbo.

I think that silver 62/12 would perform 100 times better if you put a 14 exh. hsg on there. seems to me it will choke the top end air flow that that larger comp. wheel wants to give it. Also help with Drive pressures.

There is a big difference between the 12 valve and common rail though. a 64 is still a good turbo for towing on a common rail. Not so much with the 12 valve. Twins aren't so much of a necessity on common rails. But twins are always nice on anything :woohoo:

Hold out for the twins and that 62 will make a killer top turbo.

This was another consideration I had in mind. I don't want to go too big on the turbo since twins are always a possibility (as I mentioned in my first post). Big Swole's Silver 62 seems to be treating him well with mid 12 second E.T's and good towing manners. If I decide to get really silly later, the 62 would make for a good top turbo like you said.

If I decide on the Silver 62, does the 14cm housing make the most sense?

all depends on what you tow. Ive heard a few guys one here with common rails say roughly the same about when these turbos are lighten for them.

This was another consideration I had in mind. I don't want to go too big on the turbo since twins are always a possibility (as I mentioned in my first post). Big Swole's Silver 62 seems to be treating him well with mid 12 second E.T's and good towing manners. If I decide to get really silly later, the 62 would make for a good top turbo like you said.

If I decide on the Silver 62, does the 14cm housing make the most sense?

Yes. A 12 on a 62/74 doesnt make sense in my eyes. I mean if you want the 12 for better spool, just get the phat shaft 62/12 and spend alot less money

There is a big difference between the 12 valve and common rail though. a 64 is still a good turbo for towing on a common rail. Not so much with the 12 valve. Twins aren't so much of a necessity on common rails. But twins are always nice on anything :woohoo:

Dang jeff is that steph in your default pic? :D

I think that silver 62/12 would perform 100 times better if you put a 14 exh. hsg on there. seems to me it will choke the top end air flow that that larger comp. wheel wants to give it. Also help with Drive pressures.

Well, I really wanted good spool for daily driving when I ordered it and it does great for what I wanted.....But! I can tell my top end power is Lacking...Don't know about the drive pressure but Im sure it high...

What's your take on using this 62/12 at a top charger with an S400 under it??? Nathan says it would work pretty well....You think It'll flow enough for about 700?

i think a 62/12 under a s400 is a great set up with properly wastegated should do 700hp with good EGT's. Listen to nathan hes very intelligent turbo man.
12's are ok for top turbo because you let the primary do the top end air. wastegated will help the drive pressures.

I personally would want the 14cm housing instead of potentially choking it down with the 12cm. My pressure module did wonders for picking up the bottom end.

Lucky Jeff does have me second guessing 64 versus the 62 though. Damn you, Jeff! :doh: LOL

well let some people with 3rd gens chime in. My comparison was to let you know the difference between compressor wheels, and compressor hsgs. and at least you get a basic idea about the differences in spool up.

i think a 62/12 under a s400 is a great set up with properly wastegated should do 700hp with good EGT's. Listen to nathan hes very intelligent turbo man.
12's are ok for top turbo because you let the primary do the top end air. wastegated will help the drive pressures.

Great to hear about my 62/12 as a twin setup, but one more question.....
Are you refering to a external wastegate to get it right or can I just adjust the gate on my 62??
I just want to order the kit, bolt it up, and not have to modify it much....I'll have Jeff Garmon do the install and help with adjustments...