Who pulls with an...

I say go for it...and have fun! don't just conform b/c people say it wont work.

hell, even 6.5's around here at the "run whatcha brung" do pretty well. lol

My friend talked to Elite Diesel about some parts/turbo kits possible for the 6.9. I'd try giving them a ring.

I am not sure how many rpm's you can turn. We had a 6.9 in a service truck that was turning 4000 ish and it cucked a rod. ( the gov. in the pump was f***ed up.)

I'll try to get a hold of Elite diesel, and more performance parts for these old things would be nice.

I thought the injector pump blew apart interanlly and threw an ass load of fuel to it and that being the reason why it also hung WFO at the end, lol.

If I am not mistaken I think the Double Overtime truck is actually an IDI based engine. I was at Terre Huate, IN for the Diesel Extravaganza and a few pullers in the DHRA Super Street class were talking and asking questions about his truck after he finished pulling. One of them asked if it was a powerstroke, and another replied saying it was an IDI. Though they were probably all wrong and it was really a powerstroke with a 8 plunger Sigma pump.

Last edited:
I think double overtime is a 7.3 Powerstroke I hear its a mack pump but dont quote me on it.

I used to have the extended version, he did well even against some cummins trucks.

Hyde said:
Yea I know I just have a soft spot for the IDI's, I'l proabably start lookin for a powerstroke truck to get close to competitive

I can understand that. I drove some 6.9's when i went out to colorado with one of my buddies to work on a big farm over the summer, and they were good motors. We always ran them hard, and they never missed a beat. Actually, they had some decent power to be non turbo'd in my opinion. One was a f-250 reg cab longbed 2wd automatic, and the other was a F-350 2wd dually 4spd with a 12ft utility bed on it. I actually really liked driving that old utility truck with the 4 speed. It pulled alright, and it ran pretty decent for what it was. I always like the motors though. They are smooth running motors that you cant really hurt if they are left stock, just as long as you dont run into cavitation problems. I can tell you one thing. My boss right now has a 2wd automatic turbocharged 6.5 chevy with a 12 ft utility bed, and I would take that old 6.9 IDI in the same configuration over it any day of the week. I think it had more power, and definately a better sounding motor.

Be sure and post videos if you pull it

Eric

168 at the wheels isnt too bad, I'm gonna shoot for close to 300 *nx* :st: but that'll take time and money. Thats a nice lookin ford Cummins Driver

well just talked to my friend w/ the 6.9 today, he dynoed his truck a while ago @ 95hp - 350 tq. (apperantly w/ the pump just tweaked) this is before he upgraded nozzles.
We might throw on a ATS turbo kit this weekend, not 100% yet. we got a dyno days coming up the 15th. I'll be sure to keep you posted on how his truck dyno's.

The local county pull didn't include diesels till a 86 6.9L f250 won in the gasser class:kick:

My bro has 86 F250 4wd auto (dang C6) 4x4. He tuned the pump and now can light up the tires in 1st:rockwoot:

Believe it or not, there is actually some pretty good trucks out this way, its not going to just be a walk in the park to run out here. Me myself I do it just for fun, but I do ok, at least I did.:bang

Bobcat698 said:
I'd give up on the Powerstroke too if I were you.. Would be much cheaper to buy a 12 Valve Dodge, I bet out in Idaho a mildly modified 12Valve could easily take the #1 spot in a lot of pulls.. I have a local customer with injectors, turbo, and dvs that has a few first places this year, of course I didn't show up at those few hooks. ;)