Why do so many of the threads in tow/haul turn into cdl arguments?

LOL! Anyone on here who had their local state's equivalent BEFORE CDLs? In Oregon it was called a "Chauffer's License". I had mine and drove for my family business (just hauling our own product). When the CDL laws came into effect I was going to college full time and not putting in very many miles in the trucks, so theoretically I needed to do the full driving test and everything to get my CDL. To make it more difficult, the only place around here to take the exam was a place down a VERY narrow street, dang near impossible to get our normal doubles down (and I frequently towed doubles and occasionally triples). I was planning to make up a "driver's test" combination with our shortest tractor, and a pair of 24' trailers (we normally ran two 35' in Oregon and a 35' & 24' in California & Washington), but never got around to it. One of these days I plan to grab a rig and take the exam.

Regards,
Michael Pliska

I stepped up and said I was wrong about the "endorsement" and that it is actually a lack of restriction. Let it go, you can be god of the CDL argument for today- sheesh.
The way it reads is very odd indeed I will give you that. I can't see how you would be allowed to operate a vehicle with air brakes without a CDL covering that since if you fail the written or driving part of the test FOR air brakes specifically then you are restricted from driving anything WITH air brakes. However, since it is not a specific allowance I don't see how a truck with a GVWR of 25,000 and equipped with air brakes would require any type of CDL. It seems like a loophole, you are required to pass the air brakes part to drive a CMV with air brakes, but nothing says you have to have anything to drive an non CMV with air brakes.
Interesting- now, I am moving on to another topic I think this has been beaten clearly to death and I admitted my error.
Have a nice day.

You still need to know the law of your home state if it differs from the federal law.

All state laws differ to some degree from federal law. I know my home state laws and I know the laws for the state my truck is licensed in. Still don't care. If I was hauling Intrastate commerce I might.

LOL! Anyone on here who had their local state's equivalent BEFORE CDLs? In Oregon it was called a "Chauffer's License". I had mine and drove for my family business (just hauling our own product). When the CDL laws came into effect I was going to college full time and not putting in very many miles in the trucks, so theoretically I needed to do the full driving test and everything to get my CDL. To make it more difficult, the only place around here to take the exam was a place down a VERY narrow street, dang near impossible to get our normal doubles down (and I frequently towed doubles and occasionally triples). I was planning to make up a "driver's test" combination with our shortest tractor, and a pair of 24' trailers (we normally ran two 35' in Oregon and a 35' & 24' in California & Washington), but never got around to it. One of these days I plan to grab a rig and take the exam.

Regards,
Michael Pliska

Is it just the RVers who can't double tow in Oregon, Washington and California?

Actually, it is a removal of a restriction. My honest mistake, however I found what I meant and made it nice and clear for you "po po" types.
IF you take the CDL test and do NOT pass or take the air brake portion or test without an air brake vehicle there is a restriction that states "vehicles without air brakes only".
I copied and pasted the following statement from the webpage listed afterwards. I figured the actual Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration website was a good enough authority on this fact. Sorry that I mis-spoke my thought (that does make me an admitted idiot), it was not an endorsement but rather the lack of the "no air brake restriction".
Copy of statement - If a driver either fails the air brake component of the general knowledge test or performs the skills test in a vehicle not equipped with air brakes, the driver is issued an air brake restriction, restricting the driver from operating a CMV equipped with air brakes.

You know what really sucks about that is that when I went to get my cdl, I had to get a restricted class a because i wasn't testing in vehicle that had air brakes, but one of the sections on the written test that is mandatory to pass is indeed on air brakes, LOL... That's arizona for you, state law used to be any combination vehicle over 26,001 gvwr was class a territory, now it's anything over 18,000 gvwr

so ill ask this bc like it was stated...**** tons of interpretation:

new trucks gvw 9700....i want to haul an 8000lb puller. i would like to buy a 14k gooseneck.

my pa cdl book says i dont need a cdl if the vehicle(S) im towing are under 10000lb.

now for the clear as mud part...doe they actually mean vehicle, as in the truck or are they including trailer? bc obv an 8000lb puller and a 2500lb trailer = 10,500.

even thought the gcvwr =23,700.

thanks fellas

As long as your trailer is registered for 10k or under (it doesn't matter what its rated at) and your gcvw is not over 26k you do not need CDL.

That's arizona for you, state law used to be any combination vehicle over 26,001 gvwr was class a territory, now it's anything over 18,000 gvwr

How did you come to that conclusion?

so ill ask this bc like it was stated...**** tons of interpretation:

new trucks gvw 9700....i want to haul an 8000lb puller. i would like to buy a 14k gooseneck.

my pa cdl book says i dont need a cdl if the vehicle(S) im towing are under 10000lb.

now for the clear as mud part...doe they actually mean vehicle, as in the truck or are they including trailer? bc obv an 8000lb puller and a 2500lb trailer = 10,500.

even thought the gcvwr =23,700.

thanks fellas

Like wise no where does it say that you need a CDL solely because the trailer is over 10,000.

Your trailer GVWR is over 10k but your CGVWR is under 26k, so no CDL required. Unless you are hauling hazmat of course.

As long as your trailer is registered for 10k or under (it doesn't matter what its rated at)

Bull, the rating is more important than the registration. Here they take which ever is higher.

How did you come to that conclusion?

Like wise no where does it say that you need a CDL solely because the trailer is over 10,000.

Your trailer GVWR is over 10k but your CGVWR is under 26k, so no CDL required. Unless you are hauling hazmat of course.

Bull, the rating is more important than the registration. Here they take which ever is higher.

I ran a 14k GVW trailer registered at 10k for two years w/o a CDL and had no problems. I got pulled into a PA scales twice and they said I needed CDL. I told them to check their lawbook again and they came back and said I was good to go. You may act like a know-it-all but your not.

I ran a 14k GVW trailer registered at 10k for two years w/o a CDL and had no problems. I got pulled into a PA scales twice and they said I needed CDL. I told them to check their lawbook again and they came back and said I was good to go. You may act like a know-it-all but your not.

ok you two, shake your dicks bc this pissin match is over.

appalachain trailers lists an 8500lb cap. for 10k trailers w a 1500 tongue weight on the truck.

now if i roll across scales that trailer wont weigh over its gvwr. unless they unhitch it and scale it...which seems very unlikely. all the while being well under 26.

do i buy a 12 or 14k and title it 10k?

a pa trailer dlr told me no cdl but id need combo plates for the 12 or 14k trailer?? i know those are $$$

Last edited:

LOL What were you pulling it with? The trailer probably didn't need a CDL whether you figured it at 10 or 14.

Care to show us were it says that registered weight trumps GVWR because I can show you where it say that GVWR is what counts?

appalachain trailers lists an 8500lb cap. for 10k trailers w a 1500 tongue weight on the truck.

now if i roll across scales that trailer wont weigh over its gvwr. unless they unhitch it and scale it...which seems very unlikely. all the while being well under 26.

Why not title it at 12 or 14k? 10k wouldn't be a good idea if you are knowingly going to be over 10k.

Last edited:
LOL What were you pulling it with? The trailer probably didn't need a CDL whether you figured it at 10 or 14.

Care to show us were it says that registered weight trumps GVWR because I can show you where it say that GVWR is what counts?

Why not title it at 12 or 14k? !0k wouldn't be a good idea if you are knowingly going to be over 10k.

o i plan on buyin the 12 or 14....id just like a solid answer as to what id need....cdl? sure ill get one. combos? itd be expensive but if i had to. giant pneumatic f.t.p. sign the pops up? no problem lmao

ok you two, shake your dicks bc this pissin match is over.

a pa trailer dlr told me no cdl but id need combo plates for the 12 or 14k trailer?? i know those are $$$

That would be around $400

That would be around $400

yes i know...exactly why our business has a 12k skid steer trailer retagged at 9999.

****ty part is, thats per year....

piss on it if i get the puller im just buyin a trailer and drivin right on past the coupes....just like everyone else does.

And they won't even look up from their coffee. A pickup pulling a trailer with another pickup on it = private owner hauling a pickup, they don't even sniff the air as it passes.