Wrist pin Bushing

Pony_Kegger

Was talking the engine apart in my 2.6 truck and found that all six wrist pin where locked up on the rods. It looks like all the bushings had turned and some on them had hit the piston they had turned so much. Engine made 70 passes this year. The rods were forged 24v rods. Oil was changed every third hook.

Maybe someone changed the bushings and didn't burnish them in .

thats a heat issue. heak soaking the piston and its traveling thru your pin/rod causing it to lock up. you need to make sure you have piston oilers in your mains. if you do, then you need some type of oil cooler/gauge or need to check oil pump issues. just my opinion

Have a oil temp gauge in the pan and we try to have it about 150 F when hooking to sled. never gotten over 185F. We do use the jets in the top of the mains. Block does have the provisions for the J-Jets if they are better to use. Pistons do not have cooling passages in them. Could the rods be bent a little and make this happen?

Have a oil temp gauge in the pan and we try to have it about 150 F when hooking to sled. never gotten over 185F. We do use the jets in the top of the mains. Block does have the provisions for the J-Jets if they are better to use. Pistons do not have cooling passages in them. Could the rods be bent a little and make this happen?

post a picture. it would help a bunch.

DSCN1415.jpg

Well it does look tight on the side. Micrometer should tell the story (small end without bushing) and a billet would hang on longer. Once it turned it would be game over with the oil hole out of alignment.

Last edited:
My rods did not have a oil hole in them. The bushing did have the hole in it. I will get the bushing out and see what it measures. The bottom of the pin hole is also blued.

I had mostly the same issues when I wasn't running enough charge air cooling. Mine wasn't as severe, but all the wrist pins were scuffed.

Pin Holes are .002 out of round. All six rods have started to bend. Intake temps were 45F at the start and around 100F at the end of a pull.

Pin Holes are .002 out of round. All six rods have started to bend. Intake temps were 45F at the start and around 100F at the end of a pull.

Those are good temp. I would think the slighty bent rods would have caused it.

from phone

Agreed. Those are excellent temps. A noteable engine builder has mentioned that around 6k, it's hard to keep wrist pins oiled without being pressure fed.

Do you know which rods are drilled for pressure, or is that something I will have to get done to them.

I know that Monster Mikes rods have an oil hole in them but I am not sure about any of the rest.