ZooRoad DR '08 setup

sredish

Where am I?
It's official. I'm going to sell the truck. I have the stock springs all around and I'm going to sell the front 4" Deavers. I have 6" Deavers here, waited forever to get them, now I'm not going to use them.

I think I'm going to go the ZooRoad route to get to the 7 or 8 inch mark and see how goes from there. I'll have no desire to go taller than 8 or 9.

My questions:

*How is the ride quality of the ZooRoads; good I imagine.

*Will my 5" rear springs work on the rear of the 08?

*Will my Amp steps work on the 08?...

Also, I was going to use these wheels/tires on the new rig and use my old Eagle Alloy wheels with 35's. My newer tires are a tad tall for that lift, but my main concern was gearing. I was going to try and work a deal for Ford to help me put in 4.30s but I'm worried it'll be a tad high.

Last edited:
springs

Not much help, but rear springs won't work-08 springs are 6-8" longer(not sure, but it is one or the other).

Last edited:
Ride quality of the Zoo Roads in good from the feedback that I've gotten.
DR uses a dual rate coil on them to get the best ride possible.

As was mentioned....rear 08 springs are longer. DR's 08 springs are still in development. Options: wait for the DR springs, get another manufacturers springs, or get OUO traction blocks.

The AMP Steps themselves are the same...but the wiring harness for the 08 is different. So, you would need to order an 08 harness (disclaimer: I'm not sure on the age of your steps and if you can swap harnesses....but the steps I just got for my 07 are 08 model steps that they swapped the harness out in favor of the older one for me). I know at some point AMP redesigned the brain box, so this may only work on the newer brain boxes...not sure.

sredish you have a nice truck, did you say you are selling it? if you are could you pm me the asking price i might have somebody interseted in buying it. Thanks logan

sredish said:
It's official. I'm going to sell the truck. I have the stock springs all around and I'm going to sell the front 4" Deavers. I have 6" Deavers here, waited forever to get them, now I'm not going to use them.

I think I'm going to go the ZooRoad route to get to the 7 or 8 inch mark and see how goes from there. I'll have no desire to go taller than 8 or 9.

My questions:

*How is the ride quality of the ZooRoads; good I imagine.

*Will my 5" rear springs work on the rear of the 08?

*Will my Amp steps work on the 08?...

Also, I was going to use these wheels/tires on the new rig and use my old Eagle Alloy wheels with 35's. My newer tires are a tad tall for that lift, but my main concern was gearing. I was going to try and work a deal for Ford to help me put in 4.30s but I'm worried it'll be a tad high.

Let me know how much you want for the 4" Deavers.....

The truck hasn't been messed with at this point. It has about 9" of lift up front and 10.5" in back. I was going to strip it down to stock springs / Fabtech spring hangers and stock springs with blocks in back, but my wife want's me to put a price on it with the lift and everything and try to move it quicker, which is fine if it would work out that way. Talked to Marty today and he mentioned that he'd take the 6" Deavers back for credit towards an 08 setup, as they're sitting in my shop untouched right where me and the ups guy put them.

I'm going to leave the DVD/Nav in, but was going to pull the steps and the winch up front. I've been swaying back and forth about the subs, amps and all. It'd be nice to just sell it and move on, with not a lot of work, then get the 08 here and get started. I hate things looming ahead, I'd rather make a move, get it done and get on with it.

Marty told me that the ZooRoads are not yet ready for the 08's... well not the shocks but the mounting hoop. He said he could probably fab one but if they weren't ready, I'd consider waiting. I think thats the best thing going unless Dan, you have some more ideas you think would be kick ass. If I do the 08, I'm going to make it worth it, do it once and be done. I want a killer suspension setup and I want the ride to be awesome. I'm not as worried anymore about power, I want decent power but no need for crazy numbers, just decent with killer suspension, ride and performance.

Also, good info on the steps. I've not been happy about the idea of pulling the steps, they were sort of a PITA but worth taking off if I can use them again. If not, not sure what I'd like to do, I'd need them again for the 08.

So, how does a stock 08 ride versus a stock 07, better yet, a stock 03/04? I have yet to drive one but probably will tomorrow or Friday.

Last edited:
For the Coilovers, I do like the Zoo Roads the best.....but yeah the 2008 hoop/mount isn't done yet.
My second choice would be Kings with custom anodozing and powdercoating.

With the progressive coil of the DR, I'd think you'd have to go with a dual rate King to get a comparable ride.

If you want kickazz.....coilovers front and rear?
A OUO 12" front and rear with 38s? Major coin though.

Re: the steps. I can't pull mine off my 01 LOL I don't know if I loctited the bolts, or if they come with loctite on them...or if the salt from a couple winters ago corroded everything.....but I can't pull a bolt out of the mounting brackets to save my life :hehe:

when in doubt, get a longer bar/wrench.... :rockwoot: if it don't wanna bust, then by all means make it... :cheer:

I'm putting my foot down on anything over 8 or 9 inches. I'm also going to keep the tires at or under 38's. The Toyo 38's were perfect IMO. Don't need any more than that.

No, the problem I have with the steps is that I get the right sized hex bit.....put some force to it and round out the hole. If they used normal hex head I wouldn't have this problem.

sorry to hear your troubles. the girl in your avatar might be able to help.

Dang...all the questions have been answered...i feel so unneeded. lol

But yeah, as far as ride quality....the ZooRoads are going to be as soft as you could want on the small highspeed bumps with the progressive rate. If you wanted to get any softer (be careful, it could handle spongy), then it would take someone with some skills to setup a dual rate coilover like you want first try...might take some tuning.

thumbs down on quality and engineering behind it....they mad some decent stuff for the chevies, and what would be called decent for superduty as well; yet superduties have FAR better than decent available.

Notice they also have a rear 4link available....IMO it would be worth it to go custom; stronger, better geometry and ride to suit your needs, and comparable price.

My second choice behind a DR with Zoo Roads would be a RIZE with Fox or King coilovers.

good info. i'm sticking with the DR ZooRoads.... I've just had way too much good luck with DR and I KNOW they're stuff is 110%. I'm not a big fan of the Rize merely for aesthetics, their lifts just always seem to be busy/stuff everywhere and not real clean, just my opinion. I'm checking out all the options but the ZooRoads seem hard to beat at this point.

Jess, hope I've made you feel a little more needed... :cheer:

Yep, I like the DR 4-link and Zoo Roads the best.
Not sure if DR still offers the IVD coating/plating....but I'd look into it if they do.

Just noticed on the Rize site, they "claim" to have some 08 rear springs available... can anyone confirm that? Wonder what the ETA on the Deaver springs for the 08s are.

how is the "bucking" of the rear end on the 08s? Would it be a wise choice to go for dual shocks on the back to help control it or would it make the ride worse overall?

Last edited:
RIZE springs are available last I heard. Not sure who makes them.

Not sure on Deavers....DR no longer uses Deaver.
Dual shocks would stiffen the ride on the smaller bumps......perform sweet on the big stuff though...IMO.

Another option is One Up Offroad Traction blocks in the rear.

DCSpecial said:
Another option is One Up Offroad Traction blocks in the rear.

One of the dudes at TruckToyz yesterday (not Marty) said he still recommends the Deaver rears and was waiting on those to be available for the '08's. Why isn't DR still using Deaver and what are they using now?

RE: the OUO blocks, those are the most Fugly... how "decent" are they and anyone have a $$$ idea on them? Hate to spend some cash on blocks when a spring upgrade is inevitable.

The OUO blocks are well built. I have no idea on the coin....but I doubt they are cheap.

I don't see any reason Deaver wouldn't be making 08 rear springs, don't know though.

Why DR no longer uses Deaver?
Business decision, DR has more control over the spring design now, etc...
They are DR's proprietary leaf springs....they won't say who actually manufacturers them....still made in the USA and lifetime warranty though. A few subtle changes in them vs. the Deavers for the 99-07 trucks.