Possible 3.0 Super Stock

wrongway

I've been talking to a few people in our sport for the last few week's about the possibility of adding a 3.0 Super Stock Diesel class this time next year. I'm pretty much set on the rules for this and would like to know if it is something we can or want to do. Keep in mind, the Super Stock Diesel 2.6 charger race was intended to get more people into drag racing. I know, the turbo thing didn't quite work out the way everybody wanted. Our intention's were good, but anyway here I go. We wanted to create a stepping stone for racer's to move up in class as they could afford it. Most everyone on here cannot afford to build and campaign a Pro Street truck. Super Stock was created to get you in relatively cheap and that's where this 3.0 class would lead. After building and campaigning a 2.6 truck, you could ease into a 3.0 with just a little more part's and money. Eventually you would be real close to a Pro Street if that is what you desire and you would already have most of the part's needed to do so. These 2.6 truck's will not go to waste! They will be run with the exact same rule's in Bradenton, Scheids, and TS Outlaw. So, we already have 3 commited race's and there may be more. Now, back to our idea's on the 3.0 class. We are thinking that with a larger charger that we are going to have to allow you to cool these truck's. We are thinking about making water injection OR air to water innercooler allowable. Not both. We will lower the weight limit's to say 5500 lbs. But absolutely no NITROUS! We want to keep it simple and affordable so we can gain more racer's in this sport. We are not excluding anyone by doing it this way. If you want to run twin's and or spray nitrous there are other classes. I think this could be a very cost effective and competitive class should we decide to do it. We will wait until the current Super Stock 2.6 race is in the record book's before we decide if this is feasible. Post your thought's about if your interested or not. Just remember, we are already pretty set on the rule's we want to use. We don't want to get to the point of trying to please everyone so their future or current setup will be at an advantage. We want to create something competitive and can be built upon for next year. Thank's for looking and I hope to see as many of you as possible in Bradenton in 17 more days, Gary

Gary i honestly feel your idea for a race is great and is full of potential. but i hate to think i am working to get a charger that will only be good for a few races,i thought the long term plan was to keep this going. if you really want to add racers,make it a true 66 turbo like you guys had planned all along.
as for dropping the weight,why it puts more towards a true dedicated racer and keeps even more out.
finally if you go allowing certain injectables and not others,im out. sure others will go for it,jmho....jess

I think the turbocharger knowledge is lacking in these races and in the rules. Stop looking at sledpulling rules for these races or you'll end up with the same issues they have.

2.6 and a 3.0 charger can be so freaking identical you guys just don't seem to grasp it.

You really think these guys are going to need to cool down their trucks more cause your stepping up to a 3.0? The 2.6 charger is going to run hotter...

I can't see how y'all are so set on the rules already when it seems there is so much that should be looked at again.

I feel this post or even talking about the 3.0 race is very premature when the 2.6 race hasn't happened yet so we don't know the outcome and what needs to happen.

Last edited:
I think the turbocharger knowledge is lacking in these races and in the rules. Stop looking at sledpulling rules for these races or you'll end up with the same issues they have.

2.6 and a 3.0 charger can be so freaking identical you guys just don't seem to grasp it.

You really think these guys are going to need to cool down their trucks more cause your stepping up to a 3.0? The 2.6 charger is going to run hotter...

I can't see how y'all are so set on the rules already when it seems there is so much that should be looked at again.

I feel this post or even talking about the 3.0 race is very premature when the 2.6 race hasn't happened yet so we don't know the outcome and what needs to happen.

with a respectfull X2!

get a constant FULL FIELD before making another class

Last edited:
Ya'll are missing my point. I had typed up a big ol huge paragraph or three in rebuttal of the above statement's. Then I erased it all and said to hell with it. I'm starting to realize I'm beating my head against the wall. Somebody else come up with some idea's. I'm sure the Super Stock race this month will be a blast to be a part of. I'm hoping all of the truck's will run within a couple of tenth's apart and make for some good racing. Open your mind's fella's, I do. Gary

Another vote for 66mm turbo. that would have been the most competitive while keeping the average joe mentality like intended. A LOT of people out there have 66mm turbos already. Not a lot of people are gonna drop $2500-5000 on a turbo for one or two races. And the few that will would be better off just going to pro street and running whatever they want.

I say go up in weight so it's not so much a dedicated race truck. If you wanna get more people involved, lower the standards, and make the turbo rule a S300 based charger.......period. I like the idea of a big turbo, and that's what I normally run.......but this got a little confusing for a bit. I have no problems with showing up to compete, but the entry count says otherwise for a lot of others. $.02

Gary i honestly feel your idea for a race is great and is full of potential. but i hate to think i am working to get a charger that will only be good for a few races,i thought the long term plan was to keep this going. if you really want to add racers,make it a true 66 turbo like you guys had planned all along.
as for dropping the weight,why it puts more towards a true dedicated racer and keeps even more out.
finally if you go allowing certain injectables and not others,im out. sure others will go for it,jmho....jess

Jess, Like it was stated above there are already three 2.6 race's this year that are going to happen. I won't go into many detail's about the organization's as to whether or not they will add the class. If you include it in your race that will make four event's. Then you have the Redneck National's, Brian Buchanon's race making six. The long term plan's were for everybody that can to include the Super Stock rule's. If it was solely up to me it would definately be an off the shelf 66 that anyone can buy. That's the only thing everyone was *****ing about the most, them 2.6 charger's are not cheap. We need a structured process to get people involved. I do think 6 race's a year would be sufficient enough to warrant buying a turbo.

Were still gonna have fun in Bradenton though. Cant wait.

I'm gonna have a fuggin blast!!!!!!!!! I'm still gonna build me a 10k lb Mega cab on 37's with 4 stages of nitrous, and a Lenco and run the 12.0 DHRA class:hehe: Forgot to add some triple turbo's. WW

Last edited:
Why give a rebuttal If your mind is open? But the rules are set? For a 2nd race and the 1st race isn't over.

If this is really about the sport I feel you need to really open your mind and listen to what your fellow racers want.

Im all for this race especially single charger, but the turbo side of this race really needs to be looked at.

Can't wait to be down there, I could use some warmer weather.

Super/Stock

I agree with Jess 100% I have a lot of time/work in my truck to race this class! I really think it will be a good class if given time. I have raced many years with a lot of different classes (cars/trucks) and you will never make everyone happy. You need to have a good rule package and give the racers time to change. Not everyone can build change yearly/weekly for different rules. Give the rules time and it will happen. If you do a 3" class it will be the same with turbo's,,,, BIG DOLLAR!!! They will be 4" or bigger with covers to fit your 3" rules. I really want to thank you and Jeff for your work put in for the Super Stock race. Not many people will do the work you both have done to put this on. Thanks! Is it time to race yet???? Jeff

I would like a 3.0 class better but dropping the wieght will be tough on alot of people. I know it would put us right in between on it, the 4wd will be tough to get donw to 6k much less 5500, the prosstreet truck is already at 4500 so 5500 is too much for it. I woudl bet the majority of people going to race will not be able to get down to 5500 or even anywhere close to that. thats a stripped down 2wd truck wieght and alot may stay home because of that.

Really wish I could make this race, still dont have our engine yet. We will have something together for TS though but I would bet we run PS not SS unless there is a better payout involved over PS.

I like the 3.0 Class idea, especially with the light weight. Less parts breakage. I also would like to see box stock turbo's in the 2.6 class.

No matter what you do, there will be people who push the rules to there limits. And then there will be the whiners.

I can see limiting your future classes by a particular inducer size, like the 66mm that was mentioned. You really start to stir it up if you pick a certain brand charger for an entire class. An S300 will go right on a Dodge but not nearly as simple on the other brands. Inducer bore rules allow for running a wider range of pieces. Even though we don't build cheetah's, precision's, garrett's, or whatever flavor someone wants to run, they should all be allowed. Growth of the other platforms needs to exist. More modified VGT chargers, more drop in performance chargers, keeping with a simple inducer size limit will help fill your field. I drive Dodges and build S300's and I dont want to see a series of races filled with just them. Chris

The 3.0 rules couldn't be any more perfect for my brothers truck! 5500lbs, 3.0 charger, air/water intercooler, its like they were written around it haha. Now if you could only get some races a little closer to California :poke:

The 3.0 rules couldn't be any more perfect for my brothers truck! 5500lbs, 3.0 charger, air/water intercooler, its like they were written around it haha. Now if you could only get some races a little closer to California :poke:

Yea, your brother paid me off to start this class!!!!!! LOL

Why not do a tire restriction? If so and so tire can only hold xxx hp, then you have effectively limited the class no matter the charger. Only so much HP can be held by 4 285/75/RXX tires @ so much PSI... Real easy to check and an idiot with a tire pressure gauge can tech better than someone trying to remember turbo's...

And for the guys with 2wd, a larger tire to accommodate.

How about a cross-sectional area of 4 tires to match the 2wd 2 tires?

And the turbo would be nothing to worry about. Too much and you blow off your tires, too little and you can't get the suckers to turn fast enough.

Last edited:
I know you don't like my opinions Gary but, all this sounds like dedicated racing. Why are you trying to make trucks be built a certain way. Why not just makes classes like we've always had and let people build to suit or run what they brung ? This has nothing to do with the way my truck is built or my truck. Just seems to me, you're saying, your truck needs to be built like "this" or you won't be able to race in our events. You can only have so many classes.

I think the bottom line is, people can't afford to build to suit. They have trucks they've built the best they could and would like to hit the track. Pushing everyone towards PS gets great but, with limited funds only a hand full could do it.

Jess, Like it was stated above there are already three 2.6 race's this year that are going to happen. I won't go into many detail's about the organization's as to whether or not they will add the class. If you include it in your race that will make four event's. Then you have the Redneck National's, Brian Buchanon's race making six. The long term plan's were for everybody that can to include the Super Stock rule's. If it was solely up to me it would definately be an off the shelf 66 that anyone can buy. That's the only thing everyone was *****ing about the most, them 2.6 charger's are not cheap. We need a structured process to get people involved. I do think 6 race's a year would be sufficient enough to warrant buying a turbo.
Gary ,either you misinterpreted me or me you. i think 5 or so races would be a great and plenty of races. i meant if next year the 2.6 class went to a 3.0 class,then it starts all over with turbo hunting,and if trucks get lighter and start changing rules,its harder to keep trucks that race this in the class competetive without spending a bunch of money,and even harder for those that are trying to build a truck to race for next year.
i promise you if i change my mind and hold a race this year, we will have a superstock class. i agree we need structure also...