Any expected PPL rule changes for 2017

Here is the 2016 PPL changes for 3.6 Pro-Stock Diesel Truck;

Pro-Stock Diesel Trucks

ChangeTurbo- The turbocharger is smooth faced intake housing, limited to a 3.6" inlet, (no map ring) with all air
entering through the 3.6" opening. Intake wheel must protrude 1/8th inch inside of opening.

Tires #13 add – 34-18.00-15. Bar & cut tires permitted. Maximum tire size to be 112 circumference, when inflated to 30psi with original bar, not to exceed 18 inches in width before cutting. Maximum of four tires permitted.​

So the way I read it cut tires are allowed and not required. There was talk of it being a requirement for 2017.

That makes duals illegal.

Its an add and not a replacement. So, last year you could run both.

so this year, dot's are still allowed? cuts make that 3.6 class boring imo. maybe its just me not caring much about the sport anymore, for the same reasons as many others. but as i've heard from several other people they dont care for watching the new smooth bore classes. so coming from once pullers, guys building trucks, reconforming trucks and enthusiasts, concerns for the future. i think 3.6 will die off and 3.0 smooth with be a healthy numbered class country wide, if it stays around...

My opinion, and it's just that, is that the 3.6 trucks will start making the jump to SS. Their power level seems to be much more friendly to hook up than the actual SS trucks, the pay is better for SS, and it's nationally recognized allowing them to pull on the big stages of pulling. There was more than one time this past year that several trucks went up a class and took a podium spot or finished top 5 of 20+ trucks

Whatever happens next, I really hope that:

1) There is a discrepancy of classes, for example, As an event promoter, I wouldn't want regular non-pulling people coming to me asking what the difference between the classes are. To me that makes it boring. 2.5, 3.0, 3.6, and SS should all be disgustingly different. That being said, They are pretty good the way they are as far as this subject is concerned, with the exception of the 3.6 and SS trucks, those two classes are pretty similar.

2) They leave the rules alone for a while. The only way they can make the sport grow is to stop changing rules. Some people without unlimited budgets start building a truck for one set of rules and low and behold by the time they are ready to pull the rules are completely different. Pretty discouraging.

The organizations I pull with are not PPL organizations, but we really want to follow the national guys, nobody wants to pull with an organization who's rules don't allow you to compete elsewhere. At the same time no organization wants to keep changing rules and forcing us to spend a ton of money each offseason to keep up. Obviously PPL doesn't care about the non-PPL organizations, but coming from the other guys out there who one day want to come play in the "Big Leagues," Give us a fighting chance!

End rant :rockwoot:

1) There is a discrepancy of classes, for example, As an event promoter, I wouldn't want regular non-pulling people coming to me asking what the difference between the classes are. To me that makes it boring. 2.5, 3.0, 3.6, and SS should all be disgustingly different. That being said, They are pretty good the way they are as far as this subject is concerned, with the exception of the 3.6 and SS trucks, those two classes are pretty similar.

2) They leave the rules alone for a while. The only way they can make the sport grow is to stop changing rules. Some people without unlimited budgets start building a truck for one set of rules and low and behold by the time they are ready to pull the rules are completely different. Pretty discouraging.

The organizations I pull with are not PPL organizations, but we really want to follow the national guys, nobody wants to pull with an organization who's rules don't allow you to compete elsewhere. At the same time no organization wants to keep changing rules and forcing us to spend a ton of money each offseason to keep up. Obviously PPL doesn't care about the non-PPL organizations, but coming from the other guys out there who one day want to come play in the "Big Leagues," Give us a fighting chance!

:clap:

PPL doesn't care about their own organizations. When you have certain shops giving PPL big money, who do you think is going to get their way. Its all about money from the top down. Sucks.

And well put dave

So my question is....Could you run a combination of duals and cuts at the same time? I would certainly try duals in the back and cuts on the front if legal. Duals have more contact area and don't pile up tons of loose dirt in front of the pan. I think it would work well on some tracks. Fire away:

So my question is....Could you run a combination of duals and cuts at the same time? I would certainly try duals in the back and cuts on the front if legal. Duals have more contact area and don't pile up tons of loose dirt in front of the pan. I think it would work well on some tracks. Fire away:

no sir, its one or the other, im sure if you wanted to try it out locally you can do whatever you want to please the crowd, or yourself......

jason, what you guys have going imo is the smartest thing in the entire country, hence why you have 10 competitive trucks every hook. your class will continue to grow. when you have a 40k truck with an s400 shaking things up every weekend, your doing something right, that class is solid, fun and affordable.

Last edited:

Very well said and I couldn't agree more.

It'd be nice to see 2.5 stay single tires and bed stacks, 3.0 duals and hood stacks, 3.6 guys running cut tires. Again this is looking at pulling from a non-pullers perspective. Each class would have obvious visual differences.

and I agree it's always nice to be able to know you can travel to a larger event and still be somewhat competitive because your local rules are the same as what the national events run.

PPL doesn't care about their own organizations. When you have certain shops giving PPL big money, who do you think is going to get their way. Its all about money from the top down. Sucks.

And well put dave

EXACTLY!!! and x2 david!

Back