So school me on suspensions options.

4x4dually

Say a guy had a truck that rode like a lumber wagon. What are options for suspension upgrades that don't require kidney belts on the highway? I would like to think there is something out there that can soften the ride up and maybe use bags to solidify for towing? I'm not ready to part with the silver beast yet...but I'm sure ready to part with this rough ride.

Options?

I'd get some heavier duty bags and yank half of your spring pack.
Don't know if you could get something for the front or not.

We built something like the Kelderman 2 stage air ride for my service truck. Basically you get rid of the spring perches at the back, and make them air ride. Made a frame that pivots just ahead of the rear hitch, with a air bag from a Kenworth to make it ride.

For the load carrying duty, I went with these....TLC Air Bags
About twice the diameter of the normal firestone bags...they actually seem to help the ride instead of hurt it like my other air bagged trucks.

She rides pretty nice at 11K lbs, and still holds up the trailer when loaded heavy.
Chris

i would strongly advise checking out Carli's offerings. Hands down the best riding dodge and ford trucks i have ever been in have had Carli suspension. You will definitely need air bags to make up for the lack of towing capacity. Carli has long travel bags or you could do regular firestone bags with the daystar cradles so you when you are empty you can run with no air pressure and not wreck the bag plus not have your travel limited by the bag at all.

I told Carli what I was looking for. I'm awaiting their reply. I think the wife will be very happy if we can take the truck somewhere and not have the crap beat out of her.

I had airbags on my old 06 for a while and they certainly helped compensate for weight. Eventually when it became a toy I pulled the air bags, and then pulled a few leafs out of the pack. With a few leafs missing it rode great, I would think if you did that and had bags you would be set.

While I do not daily my 06, when I put bags on and left them inflated it made the ride better than with no bags. Or just keep 1k lbs in the bed that always helps.

^Either keep 800lbs or so in the bed, or go for a ride in a 1st or 2nd gen, sure your 3rd gen would seem pretty nice then!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

What tires are you running? I have some duratracs on my 12v and they ride like garbage. Just a thought.

Due to the weight of my truck my left front factory spring developed say at about an 1-1.5" difference between the sides. I knew the shocks were toast and opted to go into the heaviest spring that are used in factory trucks with plow package up front and matched them with factory fit fox 2.0s with 2-2.5" extra height. The shocks basically stay preloaded instroke even with the leveling spacer and it's a freaking dream to drive and even with the 22.5s it's like floating across even the roughest rutts and bumps. The rear does have bags that stay pretty stiff at 55 daily.

Sulastic Rubber Springs - 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 - 8-Lug Magazine

I don't know if these would work for you given how much you've loaded your truck at times. But I thought I'd mention them.

A friend of mine installed this type of shackle on his dually and it definitely rode better, probably not as much as modifying the springs but its definitely a simple fix.

I've read about them years ago. The problem with them is that they are a "wear item." They have a definite life span and will most likely not last the life of the vehicle, especially loaded heavy. That's all I know about them.

Lighter air pressure helps in the back, but you can't let it down in the front...this truck will eat the tires off just like the last three dodge duallies I've owned.

Considering the Carli Backcountry 3" kit and long travel bags. Going to look at Thuren as well. I really don't want a "lift," but it's more of a leveling lift with 2-3 in the front and 1-2 in the back. The spring packs in the back reduce capacity 15% but then the bags make it up when loaded. It's a couple grand, but cheaper then a new truck. :D

Depends how often you're pulling a trailer with a load, but I would hate to sacrifice load rating for ride quality. You just never know when you'll need every bit of your capacity.

With that said, I took the same route with removing the overload leaf in the rear and adding air bags on my 05 3/4 ton. It could actually stand to have another leaf removed for comfort, but again with the capacity concern. And I didn't want to lift the truck because of gooseneck to tailgate clearance when driving on uneven pasture.

Compared to my 91 D350, the 05 rides like a dream.

Back