Robts 2011/12 Stereo redone.....AGAIN

Robts

Proud Fummins Owner
Well....for those of you who saw my stereo or truck at a few events probably would think....omg...well like always....IM NOT HAPPY

With a help of a good friend, we are going to build a stereo that is SEMA quality. He is one of the top installers of the country and is a good friend of mine. NO he didnt even help the last time.

After a summer of him nit picking my truck apart...I told him...fine...lets redo it and this time your involved. I am hoping to learn alot.

I sold my door last week to a guy in Ohio and sold all my componets. Just need to sell my subs and center console and Jl 10w7s...those are in the foresale section

Here are the plans

-My Alpine dvd and either a 11" or 15" LCD in the dash(yes maybe a 15" I think a 17" and way too bid)
-Focal 3 ways and a set of Focal 6.5 2 ways in the focal door( my buddy had them in his car and loved them. Even my G8 has them now.
-Focals 5.25 in the kick panels(new custom made)
-Focals 5.25 in the rear door
-rear captain chairs in the back
-RE Audio SXXX 12" in the rear between the seats
-All amps mounts down the center console which will be from the back to the dash molded in
-Lots of plexiglass, blue LEDS and swade
-custom dash with about 7 gauages mounted in the dash abouve the cluster
-Not sure if I am using my PPI art amps or replacing....I love the amps but the plans I have calls for all new equipment....

The question is,,,,,how much if any should I post on this site

On top of this my motor is coming out this week....regasketed, more braided...redo the piping on the compounds,,,,,and some more goodies...

Winter is all about me redoing this money pit

Here is my old stereo if you forgot

Robts Custom Stereo Install - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

IMG_1629.jpg

IMG_1627.jpg

IMG_1626.jpg

IMG_1632.jpg

IMG_1555.jpg

Are you going for more showy or true sound quality Rob?
Tons of drivers show good but are nearly impossible to get to sound right.

I tried drivers in my rear doors too...could t wait to get them gone. Completely screwed the whole thing up with those drivers being the closest to my head.

Last edited:
The Cummins motor is loud with the stacks so more show....and of course it will be loud....My car is more about quality than loud

Shopping list minus audio

125 ft of white LEDS
125 ft Blue LEDS
(2) sheets 3/4" MDF
(2) sheets 1/2" MDF
(1) Sheet 3/8" MDF
6' 6" dia PVC
5 gallon Laminating resin
1/2 gallon MEKP
tons of paper cups
1 roll matt
Fibraglas roller
1/2 sheet 3/4" plexi
(1) sheet 1/2" plexi
small sheet of 1/4 ABS
(3) 1" dia. solid plexi rods
2 gallons of accutune
roll of 80 grit 6" dia sand paper for DA
roll of 40 grit 6" dia sand paper for DA
roll of 150 grit 6" dia sand paper for DA
(1) case of duraglass
(1) case 2" blue painters tape
(1) case 1/2" blue painter tape
(8) rolls of masking paper

This doesnt include any of the audio or anything....Saturday night was a night of planning and sketching....and of course material list.

took the day off to go buy materials

Here is the update from last weekend. After spending most of friday running around getting those materials, (fibraglass, plexi,wood ect) I got started saturday. All wires ran and the dash roughed in. I got the 11" LCD monitor, Alpine DVD and gauages roughed in. The dashed got cut up pretty good in order of making it fit. I will get it sanded friday night, then a couple coats of Duraglass to make it smoothed out. Please note, I am a single dad and my daughter lives with me during the week. Dont have much time over the week and plan on spending my weekends out in the garage.

Premock up of the gauges over the dash
IMG_2167.jpg

Dash cut up to fit monitor
IMG_2170.jpg

Support for 11" LCD
IMG_2171.jpg

IMG_2174.jpg

What not to do to a router. This is my home made router table
IMG_2175.jpg

No turning back now
IMG_2176.jpg

11 \" LCD mounted
IMG_2177.jpg

Dash prior to Glass. Notice some Duraglass to help the transitions already
IMG_2178.jpg

Few guages to mount later over the dash
IMG_2180.jpg

Finish rough glassed. Still need to sand and add several coats of Duraglass

IMG_2181.jpg

IMG_2185.jpg

NExt weekend starting the doors and dashboard finish

Looking good sir. Are you going to block off that vent coming behind the screen? Also, how is the screen attaching to your mount?

Edit: Did you put those rims on to make it easier to get in and out of the truck while working on it or did you get robbed?

Last edited:
The screen is a Tview 11" Raw LCD. It has flat tabs with screw holes for mounting

This week I am having a few stay and work. We should get the dash completed and the front doors roughed in. We are shooting for Autorama in Detroit this February so time is against us. I still need to pull the motor after the sanding is done

Totally Subscribed!

I'm hoping to start work on the interior in the spring, focus right now is still on the drivetrain. The dash looks like its a good start. Are you planning on keeping the stock cluster, or doing a new pod for that also? Some nice looking autometers would look awfully nice in there, give it that high end race look. just my tastes though

update 10-3-11

Allright....got the dash sanded before I start blocking it for dips...

Next step is the doors. This will take awhile with several weeks of build up. First stage is rebuilding the foors and removing the pockets. I also had to rough in the arm rest with a sweeping end. I also had to start the speaker locations. All the speakers will have light up rings they mount to. We worked on this friday and saturday.

Dash

IMG_2212.jpg

IMG_2210.jpg

IMG_2185.jpg

IMG_2193.jpg

IMG_2194.jpg

IMG_2195.jpg

IMG_2198.jpg

IMG_2201.jpg

IMG_2202.jpg

IMG_2207.jpg

IMG_2208.jpg

Stay tuned for next weekend....rough sanding the doors and more glass. got to re-enforce the corners. Also gonna start on the rear doors. Plan is to have everything roughed in before thanks giving. Taking a week off to work on the truck and sanding is what the plan is

Back