68 F350 crewcab 12v

Thanks for the link GW.....looks from that I would be better off to use the 8406 simply for the torque rating. Now the other question I have is, what the heck do I use for a flywheel/clutch/and hydraulics for that dude. I am completely clueless on the medium duty stuff...I just hate to finish this thing to magazine/show quality and have the tranny blow to pieces when I hook something to it for use.

The flywheel is an SAE #2 if I'm not mistaken and you can use either a push or pull type clutch but you must get the bell housing that corresponds with whichever type of clutch you get. They make double disc clutches for them too but in my opinion the power holding increase gained is not worth the headaches and the reduction in shifting speed associated. I have heard in the past rumors of people going through Valair and getting clutches made for these also but don't hold me to that, just another possible option. Hope this helps, sorry I'm a little vague but this is just the info I've collected over the years, I'm far from an expert.

Pull type

IMG_3305.JPG

Push type

nv56002.jpg

Hydraulic unit,
Eaton Inforanger

Clutch combinations are per engine output torque, were will you be at?

Sorry not to get back sooner I had to have back surgery and it's taking quite a bit of time to go through e-mails:(

Well I have done some researching of my own and with the help of a buddy I think I have decided on a Spicer tranny instead. The ratings are higher and the overdrive is better. I just have to find one now thats not stupid expensive lol. The ratings on it are 660 ft# at 65000GVW and 210HP....I know mine will make alot more than that, but at a 10K gvwr I would think it will be ok...right?

I honestly have no idea where the hp/tq is gonna be at. On paper I would like 550-600 and 1200-1500, but at the same time I dont want it to get hot either.

We just talked about it a day or so ago and by the time I spend a grand or so on the NV to make it live and the big money on the clutch to hold it I am already at the price of the Spicer and clutch...and Im not guaranteed it will hold.

Last edited:
Well your on the right track by doing your own research, after all who knows better where you'll be at the end! Just take your time and do it right the first time, I'm sure this group will enjoy the results. Keep us informed:pop:...

I picked up a stick of tubing from a buddy so with any luck I should be able to have the track bar mocked up this weekend. I have been looking for a cheap tranny and so far I have yet to find one under 2500....Ima still searching though :) Anyone know of a good place online to buy medium duty truck parts?

I really need to get my turbos figured out as well so I can see what kinda firewall clearance I have or need to make.

Ibuildembig put the transmission model number/name on this site and you should get some hits from around the country like I just did....

Eaton Fuller FS5205A Transmission Assembly on HeavyTruckParts.Net

Theres a few on there and the prices are all over the place....thanks

use search tempest for craigslist, the spicer 6plus1 has a bad rep, the eaton fullers fso das es good ya

Yeah I use that alot for other stuff....bad rep? Ive yet to read anything bad about them and they have alot better OD

68 F350 CC converted to diesel, dually, and 4x4

I had this thread on here before but it was closed due to lack of activity. I've spent the last two years on another project and now that's done I'm back on this one. Here's the stats as it sits right now:

68 F350 crew cab
D60 front with bags
D80 rear with Peterbilt low airleaf setup
19.5's
superduty floorpan
ZF6
divorced 205

I'm still trying to make my mind up on what motor I wanna stuff in it. Does anyone know if a 6.7 cummins will bolt in where a 12V was? The reason I ask is that I've already made the mounts for a 12V.

Last edited:
Back