Dodge 2008-2012 Tie Rod End Recall

4x4dually

Anyone have theirs done yet? Has any actually had one break?

Safety Recall N49 / NHTSA 13V-529

Left Outer Tie Rod Assembly

2008 (DH) Dodge RAM Truck (1500 series 4x4 Mega Cab)

2008 - 2009 (DH) Dodge RAM Truck (2500 / 3500 series 4x4) *mine

2008 - 2009 (D1) Dodge RAM Truck (3500 series 4x4)

2010 - 2012 (D2) Dodge RAM Truck (3500 series 4x4)

2010 - 2012 (DJ) Dodge RAM Truck (2500 series 4x4)

2008 - 2010 (DC) Dodge RAM Truck (3500 Cab Chassis)

2011 - 2012 (DD) Dodge RAM Truck (3500 Cab Chassis)

NOTE: This recall applies only to the above vehicles built between February 14, 2008 and December 22, 2012 (MDH 021400 through 122218).

The left tie rod ball stud on about 264,000 of the above vehicles may fracture under certain driving conditions. This could cause a loss of directional control and/or a crash without warning.

The left and right tie rods must be replaced.

My bad. I read it as tie rod end. It is the tie rod itself. Something about the way the stabilizer attaches and junk.

Anyone got more specifics? The dealer service guy didn't know much...that was obvious.

Still can't find any pics of before and after. I guess I'll take mine to have it inspected.

Item Affected: STEERING:LINKAGES:TIE ROD ASSEMBLY
Date Announced: 11/7/2013

Description of Recall:
Chrysler Group LLC (Chrysler) is recalling certain model year 2008-2012 RAM 2500 4X4 and 3500 4X4 trucks. The left tie rod assembly may break.

Action Needed To Fix It:
Chrysler will notify owners, and dealers will install a new left tie rod assembly, free of charge. The recall began on December 11, 2013. Owners may contact Chrysler at 1-800-247-9753. Chrysler's recall campaign number is N49.

I called the dealer yesterday and got my truck put on the list to have the tie rods replaced. I brushed it off at first when I got the notice but did some internet research and it sounds like there has been a lot of failures. Sounds like a lot of them have broken during low speed maneuvering.

I'm just trying to find a picture of before and after to see if I need to take mine in. I don't have time to drop it off for an hour for them to "inspect" it and make sure it is one of the bad ones. Most places are a month out on parts too.

When i called the dealers here I asked about the risk of failure but they wouldn't give me an answer. They only told me that both tie rods will need to be replaced on all trucks under the recall and then quickly tried to end the phone call. I should be getting mine in within 2 weeks

One of the boss's truck's broke the tie rod... goin out i80 to the livestock auction w/ a load of cattle. i think his was an 07 tho.

I took mine by the dealer and they showed me some pictures why they checked mine. If your stabilizer is a clamp style it needs replaced, if it is a bolt on style you are good.

My parts are ordered....

Jory if you don't fix yours and you total your truck, let me know I might be interested in the intake you just put on. :)

Dealer local to us said it's a recall for the steering stabilizer. Funny, I didn't know it was also referred to as a tie rod.

Tried to argue the point with the service manager. He looked it up on their computer and pictures kept showing the stabilizer. They were persistent saying that it was a typo and that it's supposed to be for the stabilizer. Ruhhtards

Hunted and pecked from a Galaxy S4.

Weird. What about guys that have been buying the 2008 and up steering to put on their 2nd gen trucks?

Back