Dodge 2008-2012 Tie Rod End Recall

iirc the end joint snapped off right off about 1.5" up the rod. Looked like someone cut it with scissors.

I took this from CF:

59629d1365034026-drag-link-tie-rod-end-failure-recall-11.jpg

I have a recall for the same thing for my 06 and a friends dad has one for his 04.5. I keep meaning to call and get an appt for them to look at it, but I have been busy, maybe I will remember today.

I have a recall for the same thing for my 06 and a friends dad has one for his 04.5. I keep meaning to call and get an appt for them to look at it, but I have been busy, maybe I will remember today.

I'm not sure why they have to "look at it" first. Either it needs replaced or not. They have the VIN. They built the dang thing. I guess I'll take mine in and let them look at it....as dumb as it seems. I see no reason for two trips but when have anything a dealership has done seemed legit.

Had a similar recall on the wife's 06. Took it to dealer they looked at it said I had the right parts on it. Took all of 5 minutes. Said if I needed the new parts they would put me on the waiting list.

Dealer just called and my parts are in. It 3 weeks for them to get the parts.

Bin waiting 2 weeks for parts for my 2012, still no word on when the parts will be in.

I went to the goons next door. They ordered the parts and put me on the list. Probably take a few months I'd guess. They told me no inspection is required. When they see N49 they order parts and replace them regardless of what the original parts look like. That is safest...and the way they can stab the OEM for the most warranty work too. LOL

I just got my 2010 done yesterday and its a N49 recall in which they replaced both tie rods and did an alignment.

I just got my 2010 done yesterday and its a N49 recall in which they replaced both tie rods and did an alignment.

"Alignment" as in "just set the toe," correct? They told me they wouldn't do a full up alignment. Is that needed? It isn't is it?

Recall pays for setting toe only, the dealer I work at were into the middle of april with appointments waiting for parts. You can only order 1 tie rod assembly every week.

Correct. ^^^^. It will fail, and hurt one of my kids in the back, and they'll wish they'd have got their asses on the ball and got more parts out.

I've got one myself waiting on parts. We've seen probably ten trucks in the last 6 months
with broken left tie rods. The most screwed up thing is Chrysler has the parts they just wont release the damn things.

"Alignment" as in "just set the toe," correct? They told me they wouldn't do a full up alignment. Is that needed? It isn't is it?

Yes it specifies toe only for warranty however small town Iowa and I do ALOT of business with the Dodge dealer and the Goodyear that does their alignments so I asked for a complete check over and got it no charge. I was told it wasn't needed also but I do have 50K plus on the truck so I asked them to check it all and they did.

So what exactly do they look for where the stabilizer is mounted? The upgrade on my truck has 2 ubolts that secure one end of the stabilizer. Is that what I should be looking at? I've searched but haven't been able to find any pics. Thanks.

Nobody has a pic or a link to show what they are looking for? I'm laid up for a few weeks with an ankle that is all torn up. I can't drive anyway so I'll just wait to take it in. Was just hoping to get on a list if it needed it in the meantime.

Just came back from the dealer. They have about a 2 month waiting list. I had them check my vin and it's not flagged as needing the recall, except that it's been popping since it was new...

Had my left side ball joint break going through a full service car wash. This was a couple years ago. They just looked at mine again and said the tire rod will have to be replaced. The pictures below show the two styles you may have. The top one with the stabilizer bolted through the tie rod is okay. The style with U bolts will have to be replaced.

Attachments

• tie rod.jpg
    tie rod.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 0
Very first post on the website.....productive and informative! Congrats, you've won newbie of the month. :clap: :hehe:

Thanks for the picture. I have the u-bolt type...naturally. They wouldn't even give me a time frame. At least it is next door across the field so whenever they get to it is ok.

Back