86 Fummins Build

Thanks to the snow we had a delay this morning so I only got to work about two hours today, but I got started on the honing. Its definitely going .040 over.
IMG_20121030_102437.jpg

The cylinder that we had to press the piston out of after going .008 over
IMG_20121030_105431.jpg

After going .020 over
IMG_20121030_111337.jpg

Cylinder 1 that had the other rusted piston in it after going .020
IMG_20121030_113829.jpg

This one was unexpected. Nice big ridge in cylinder 3 still there after .020 over. Cylinder 6 cleaned up fine with .020 and still need to do 2 and 4
IMG_20121030_115557.jpg

IMG_20121030_115552.jpg

I'd be checking the wrist pin bushing in #3's connecting rod. I've had a failed wrist pin bushing wear a cylinder exactly like that. But mine was way worse. LOL

Seriouslt Matt???? I cant even get a truck and your on your second Fummins!!!!

Going to be a nice little fun truck though!!!!

I'd be checking the wrist pin bushing in #3's connecting rod. I've had a failed wrist pin bushing wear a cylinder exactly like that. But mine was way worse. LOL

I checked the bushing and it actually is in good shape, Im not sure what caused it.

Seriouslt Matt???? I cant even get a truck and your on your second Fummins!!!!

Going to be a nice little fun truck though!!!!

haha Ive been wanting to get this one done for a long time, and thanks Faker!

Got the cylinders all honed out, .040 cleaned them all up. Gonna have to deck the block tomorrow
IMG_20121031_105252.jpg

IMG_20121031_105300.jpg

Deck is all blocked, cleaned it up with taking out .006, got the block hot tanked and washed up and ready for assembly. I also go my complete rebuild kit.

Since my class is over next week I did drop the head off at the machine shop. Itll be magnafluxed first to see what the damage is, then most likely all new valves, hardened exhaust valve seats and a good decking.

IMG_20121101_094008.jpg

Shiny new parts
IMG_20121031_151453.jpg

Sweet! Ready for Beans? LOL

At the rate he's going i think he could have it ready by then lol.

Matt if the head is pretty bad, give Odessa Cylinder Heads a call. We just got a brand new (not reman), fully loaded 12 valve head shipped to the shop for less than $600 bucks.

Matt if the head is pretty bad, give Odessa Cylinder Heads a call. We just got a brand new (not reman), fully loaded 12 valve head shipped to the shop for less than $600 bucks.

LOL Id love to have it down there, unfortunately Ill just be bringing the King ranch down to throw on the dyno. If I had the suspension and wiring and all that done I could have had a chance though!

And thanks Eric I will definitely keep that in mind, Im still waiting to hear on what all the head will need

That is some good information there.

Matt- sorry about not getting those parts shipping info for you (I have been in Ft Cambell KY all this week) Just PM me your address I am pretty sure I can get them in a flat rate box. Looking good by the way.

That is some good information there.

Matt- sorry about not getting those parts shipping info for you (I have been in Ft Cambell KY all this week) Just PM me your address I am pretty sure I can get them in a flat rate box. Looking good by the way.

No problem Jakob Ill send you my address

For an update, the head did end up being junk, had cracks around the exhaust valves that went way deeper than a seat could have taken care of. My machine shop was able to get a brand new fully loaded head for about the same price as odessa so that showed up on friday, just getting the 60lb springs put in since I dont have a spring compressor at the house.

I also dropped the block there for him to put the new plug in the back for the cam and put the new cam bearing on and polish up the cam. It should all be done this week.

Matt,
The parts should be there on friday.
I hope you can use them.

Awesome thank you Jakob! Let me know what I owe for shipping

And for a quick update, everything is done at the machine shop so Ill be picking it up when I get back from thanksgiving and putting the rest of the engine together

Back