86 Fummins Build

wow very nice build! beautiful truck reminds me of my dads truck cant wait to see more!

Thank you!

very nice matt!

wish i was in an engine building class!

Thanks! The engine building class was my best class here so far, I wish it would have lasted longer.

Hey Matt,

It has been awhile any updates yet? And checking to see if you are O.K.

Everything is good here, no emergency room visits lately LOL Unfortunately no major updates though, Ive been home for the holidays the past couple weeks. I got a new water pump and oil pan for the engine for christmas though. The new head is on the engine, I havent torqued the studs down yet though because I still have to get the rocker arm mounts machined. Then I still need to get injectors, p pump, oil pickup, oil pump and some miscellaneous bolts and the engine will be good to go.

Im also considering going a different route for the chassis since Id like to have it done by summer and this would save a lot of time over making the whole front suspension still for the dodge dana 60.

I have a buddy who has a whole 97 f-250 frame complete with axles, brake lines, fuel tanks, zf-5, transfercase and all wiring harnesses that Im trying to make a deal with him for. This way I could just drop the engine with an adapter plate for the trans on and my cab and bed and pull the TTB front axle out in favor of a dana 60 from a f350 and throw the dana 80 in the rear possibly.

I am glad to hear you didn't impale yourself with a cotton ball, or something. :hehe:

That 97 frame sounds like it would be the way to go, ditch the TTB and go with the Dana 60/80 front and back and you will have one heck of a set up.

I am glad to hear you didn't impale yourself with a cotton ball, or something. :hehe:

That 97 frame sounds like it would be the way to go, ditch the TTB and go with the Dana 60/80 front and back and you will have one heck of a set up.

LOL with my luck a cotton ball would land me in the ER

But since it was a nice 60 degree day outside today I decided to work on the engine a little more, I still have to put the cam and tappets and a couple other parts on but here is where its at now.
IMG_4605.jpg

IMG_3094.jpg

IMG_7740.jpg

IMG_8104.jpg

Time to get rolling on this again, I picked up a 96 F-250 regular cab frame this past weekend. Truck was a 7.3 truck. I got the axles, driveshafts, tcase, ZF-5, fuel tanks, master cylinder, wiring and all that.

For what I got it all for this will be much more cost effective and quicker than finishing the 150 frame.

Plans are to strip the frame bare and clean and POR-15. Only put the saddle tank back in, run all new brake lines and clean up wiring. 5" rear blocks and 3.5" reverse shackle kit in the front.

Dana 60 swap
Valair single disk clutch
Destroked engine mounts and adapter plate will be on the way soon.
Energy suspension body bushings
All new leaf spring bushings
All new u joints for driveshafts
Drop the engine in
Run one of fuel labs new fuel systems with a beans sump
Then drop the cab and bed on and go from there.

Hopefully this thing should be done somewhat soon!
DSC01390_zps7a9f383a.jpg

I know this is not the correct tread but...

PSD0389
I was reading one of your old posts on another thread and saw you did a swap of a cummins/47re into your truck . I am considering doing a Cummins12v/47re into a 57 chevy pu. I have my eye on a donor vehicle ,97 2500 4x4, so i will have all stock parts (harness, pcm, etc.) I was wondering specifically what you needed to do from a wiring standpoint to get your pcm to work in the new vehicle, what wires (inputs/outputs), sensors ,etc are used. Any help would be appreciated (I tried to PM you with this question but don't have enough posts in this forum that's why i posted here)

Thanks
Nick
np90fxrp@yahoo.com

next door neighbors going to give me an 87 single cab long bed f250 to swap a 12v in, for getting his 6.9 to start without ether when cold..

Its been a long time but Im finally back to working on this full on starting yesterday, and if I can keep a good pace it should hopefully be rolling by spring. I got the 250 frame in its new home in my buddies body shop where Ill be building it all winter. The truck will be getting a whole new paint job now, Im pretty set on tuxedo black metallic for the color.

Got the 250 frame in its new spot:
IMG_0540_zpsd4843e44.jpg

IMG_4100_zpsa764907b.jpg

Got the frame all stripped down last night:
IMG_4721_zpscfc59a8a.jpg

IMG_4531_zps5c338e74.jpg

Today got the frame cleaned up:
IMG_4991_zpsa3dcc14e.jpg

And the rust sealer applied to the whole frame:
IMG_9491_zpsfbc1a1fd.jpg

Next week the frame will be getting a gloss black epoxy top coat. I should have my 350 frame from Jason (Hotrodtractor) then as well. The frame is bent some but Ill be using the axles out of it, and that along with the rest of the suspension and chassis parts will get the same rust treatment and paint. Also I will be installing a 3" reverse shackle kit up front. New rear shackles and 4" PMF traction blocks that I have.

Then assembly will go from there. Im glad to finally be back working on this

Looking good buddy I'm ready to c it done!

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks Matt! Im ready for it to be done too, it feels good to be back working on it, and having the paint booth next bay over is really gonna help with all the finishing touches on the truck!

Ill give you a call tomorrow to catch up and get some parts ordered for this!

Why does every one call it a "Fummins"? Dodge didn't call it a "Dummins". It a ford with a cummins out of a Dodge which makes it a "Fodge" or a "Forge". "Fummins" sound like a retard talkin.
"Hey......der, I got a fu-fu...fum-Fummins. Der."

Last edited:
Good to hear your still going through with this one.

Yeah I had to put it on hold for a while unfortunately but it will definitely be finished!

Why does every one call it a "Fummins"? Dodge didn't call it a "Dummins". It a ford with a cummins out of a Dodge which makes it a "Fodge" or a "Forge". "Fummins" sound like a retard talkin.
"Hey......der, I got a fu-fu...fum-Fummins. Der."

Thank you for your completely worthless input on my thread, Actually its getting an industrial cummins, its an international block. So your incorrect it was not out of a dodge. Its a cummins going in my ford, so I choose to call it a fummins. I could care less if you think that sounds "retarded" or not. But thanks for your input. Fodge would be completely stupid to call this truck, there are no dodge parts going on it. I personally have never spoken like that, I feel bad though if that is how you speak, school did not treat you well then.

Thank you for your completely worthless input on my thread, Actually its getting an industrial cummins, its an international block. So your incorrect it was not out of a dodge. Its a cummins going in my ford, so I choose to call it a fummins. I could care less if you think that sounds "retarded" or not. But thanks for your input. Fodge would be completely stupid to call this truck, there are no dodge parts going on it. I personally have never spoken like that, I feel bad though if that is how you speak, school did not treat you well then.[/QUOTE]

:hehe::hehe::hehe: Made my morning.
What did you use for rust sealer, something like POR15?

Thank you for your completely worthless input on my thread, Actually its getting an industrial cummins, its an international block. So your incorrect it was not out of a dodge. Its a cummins going in my ford, so I choose to call it a fummins. I could care less if you think that sounds "retarded" or not. But thanks for your input. Fodge would be completely stupid to call this truck, there are no dodge parts going on it. I personally have never spoken like that, I feel bad though if that is how you speak, school did not treat you well then.

:hehe::hehe::hehe: Made my morning.
What did you use for rust sealer, something like POR15?[/QUOTE]

Gotta love the trolls lol

I was going to use por 15 since that's what I used on my king ranch but my buddy gave me this stuff at the shop that he got from work. I can't remember the brand off the top of my head but I'll get it for you when I'm back at the shop. It works great though, not real thick and can be easily brushed on. Made to top coat and I only used about a quart for the whole frame. It's nice too because it turns purple while it's sealing the rust and then dries black.

Matt, nice to see you're back on this thing. I love these OBS trucks. Some time I'd love to tear my 95 apart and restore it but it's my daily driver. That's pretty cool you got work space in a body shop. Keep on it, it's going to be awesome when done!

Matt, nice to see you're back on this thing. I love these OBS trucks. Some time I'd love to tear my 95 apart and restore it but it's my daily driver. That's pretty cool you got work space in a body shop. Keep on it, it's going to be awesome when done!

Thanks! Ive always been a big fan of these trucks too, and it will be nice to finally drive this truck again after 6 years. Im glad Im able to have the time to be able to do a full restoration on this truck, this is a truck have never planned to get rid of. And yeah it worked out perfect when my buddy told me that he was going to have an open bay in his body shop I was welcome to use! It will make things real nice. Im gonna keep at it and get it done as soon as possible without cutting any corners!

All new leaf spring bushings, trac bar bushings, rear shackles, center pins for leaf packs, stainless braided brake lines, fuel tank straps and front 3" reverse shackle kit w/ trac bar drop bracket are on the way. I have a set of 4" PMF traction blocks and adjustable top plates for the rear axle. Just need to get some new u bolts made and pull leaf packs apart when I get the 350 chassis next weekend and do a lot of cleaning and start assembling the new rolling chassis

Do you plan to box the frame at all on this build? My only part about these trucks I dislike is how bad the frames flex in the middle. When I do my crew cab, I'm going to box under the cab to over the rear axle at least to help keep the dang thing from twisting up so much.

Back