86 Fummins Build

Do you plan to box the frame at all on this build? My only part about these trucks I dislike is how bad the frames flex in the middle. When I do my crew cab, I'm going to box under the cab to over the rear axle at least to help keep the dang thing from twisting up so much.

I had thought about boxing it too, but I decided to pass on doing it since the regular cab didnt flex as bad for me with this truck. My old ex cab 95 had some serious flex going on though, so I would have definitely done it there.

Little more of an update. My new leaf spring and trac bar bushings, rear spring hangers and shackles, center pins and fuel tank straps arrived, reverse shackle kit for the front will be here tuesday. Then I went down to Jason's (Hotrodtractor) place today and picked up the 350 chassis from him. By the time I got back I didnt get a whole lot done, but I got the dana 60 out and almost all the way tore down. It will need a new drag link, ball joints, rotors and drivers side caliper, nothing unexpected. Overall though its in excellent shape.

Hopefully I can get that tore apart and get the axles and springs cleaned up along with all the miscellaneous suspension parts and get it all painted this week and ready for reassembly.

Nice truck! There is one rolling around me that looks exactly like it with a cummins and I'm always kind of jealous when I see it. Now does it have the god awful ugly as sin bench seat in it? (You'll know what I'm talking about if it has it)
Good luck with the build!
Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

love the 80's fords. should ditch the 90's box for a 80's one, looks silly. I had a '85 Crew cab 350, was a sweet truck all except for the gas engine! What a lucky find to get a free IH block, gotta love it, as long as IH has been building trucks not only have the big 3 been copying them, even when they cast other manufacturer's engines they're stronger and more sought after. looking good. And I hear the reverse shackles ride real nice too!

Last edited:
Nice work! This is going to be a sweet ride real soon.

And FWIW, 90% of the IH cast 12v heads I've had off were cracked. I wouldn't call the IH stuff better because it was cast by IH.

Also, I really love your Super Duty! Makes me miss my 05 a lot......

Nice truck! There is one rolling around me that looks exactly like it with a cummins and I'm always kind of jealous when I see it. Now does it have the god awful ugly as sin bench seat in it? (You'll know what I'm talking about if it has it)
Good luck with the build!
Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Thanks! haha luckily it doesnt have that ugly bench though, its got a 40/20/40 leather seat set up in it.

love the 80's fords. should ditch the 90's box for a 80's one, looks silly. I had a '85 Crew cab 350, was a sweet truck all except for the gas engine! What a lucky find to get a free IH block, gotta love it, as long as IH has been building trucks not only have the big 3 been copying them, even when they cast other manufacturer's engines they're stronger and more sought after. looking good. And I hear the reverse shackles ride real nice too!

Thank you! Id like to have the 80s bed on it, this bed was on the truck when I bought it. It was nice getting the block for free as well.

Nice work! This is going to be a sweet ride real soon.

And FWIW, 90% of the IH cast 12v heads I've had off were cracked. I wouldn't call the IH stuff better because it was cast by IH.

Also, I really love your Super Duty! Makes me miss my 05 a lot......

Thank you! Im excited to be done with teardown and cleaning and start assembly!

Yeah my IH head was cracked pretty good. And thanks again! Ive got 33k miles on it since I did the swap now and its running great!

Made some more progress but nothing worth taking pictures of. I got the front and rear axles torn down, leaf spring bushings removed from the leaf packs and started cleaning up all the parts for rust sealer. Hoping to have the frame, axles and all suspension parts painted thursday or friday.

Sky 3" reverse shackle showed up today, I got everything completely tore down and got most of the suspension parts all cleaned up and ready for rust sealer and paint. Just need to clean up the driveshafts, crossmember and rear axle and I can get it all rust sealed. Gloss black urethane top coat should be going on everything saturday.

Some of the parts I sandblasted

Cant wait til I can finally put all these pieces back together

dana 60 all cleaned up

Finally some really good progress was made today! Got everything for the rolling chassis cleaned up and into the paint booth. Big thanks goes out to my buddies for their paint and body expertise, cant wait til they get started on the body of the truck! Reassembly will start monday when the paint has had enough time to cure

I'm a dodge guy (shocker I know) but have a soft spot for a well built older ford:)

looking good

Thank you!

I'm a dodge guy (shocker I know) but have a soft spot for a well built older ford:)

Ive always been an old ford fan too

I was only able to get a little done before I had to leave for home for thanksgiving. I got the reverse shackle kit installed and all the new rear leaf hangers bolted on. Should have all my new parts for the axles and stainless steel brake lines next week and I can go from there

Nice work! If you want a cheap aluminum diff cover for your rear axle, you can use one from an 08 up ford. They're cheap and look decent.

Nice work! If you want a cheap aluminum diff cover for your rear axle, you can use one from an 08 up ford. They're cheap and look decent.

Thank you! I was actually planning on going with an 08 and up diff cover, painting it gloss black then sanding the ends of the fins and polishing them

Finally some more progress after the holiday.

Got the axles all installed and mounted to the frame yesterday with new leaf spring bushings, trac bar bushings, u bolts and ball joints. New spicer drive shaft u joints, axle seals, spindles, bearings, etc. are up next. Got my BDP sump in yesterday. Today will be working on traction bar mounts and making the brackets on the plasma table for a rear disc brake conversion.

Awesome build. Looks great so far, been wanting to do a project like this for some time now.

Thank you!

Spent today putting new axle shaft u joints in and assembling the front axle some more and working on making everything for the rear disc conversion. Mock up is pretty much completely done, still needs some tweaking though.

Started by putting the hubs on the lathe and turning down the small lip on the back side of the hub so that the rotor would sit down flush with the stud holes

Went with front rotors off an 86 K20 as well as front single 2 15/16 piston calipers from the same truck

Cutting out he caliper brackets and spacers

Mock up bracket

Back