~91 Jetta gas GLI converted to a 1.6 turbo diesel build up~

mark it looks awsome sorry to hear about the heater core hope you get her going soon and i want to see some dyno numbers out of this beast. are you planning on dynoing it?

danny

heater cores are fun dash has to come out and the a/c box unbolted of the fire wall then the dam thing just sits in the box no screws or anything, and its much easier to buy the single round support than try to mod a factory
yeah I thought I could bust out the single round radiator support quick...but it ended up being a major PITA...I would just buy one next time.

Damn nice job!!! Also, where is Uinta Diesel Performance?

thanks buddy...we are in Lehi

Lehi Utah!!!:rockwoot:

Mark that biatch is looking PIMP... Very nice work brotha!!!:Cheer:

thanks Shane!!

mark it looks awsome sorry to hear about the heater core hope you get her going soon and i want to see some dyno numbers out of this beast. are you planning on dynoing it?

danny
thanks Danny..yes I want to dyno it for sure!!!

This is something we should do Mark.
As long as we can find a place that wont rape us financially.

Dan soon as my engine finishes breaking we should hit up the rollers!!!:st:

Update

I got the heater core done...now I'm chasing a few small issues..I hope to have them figured out by first of this next week?....
small oil leak
heater/ac blower inop
coolant leak at turbo coolant feed line
CCV issues

I will post some new pics too!

Well its pretty much done!!! I'm just working out the last few issues..but for the most part it's ready to drive and commute...and soon after that it's time to hit the rollers!!

I was out cruising today and figured I would stop off at the lake and snap some pics real quick....it's super dirty...you can even see greasy finger prints!!:doh: but it still looks ok...

DSC_0494.jpg

DSC_0498.jpg

DSC_0499.jpg

DSC_0502.jpg

DSC_0507.jpg

well apparently I popped my headgasket:(
I got coolant coming from the block and head.....I'm thinking it has been blown/leaking since I got it running....
time for the MLS gasket mod:bang
Phunking VW's:bang

pulled the head....the fiber headgasket was blown in 2 spots!!!
I guess 20psi is too much for the fiber gasket...even with ARP studs...

Damn! That sucks. I hope you can get that head to hold tight. Chris

yeah tell me about it!!!
the reason I went stock fiber was cause I thought the ARPs would hold it down....but I guess not...there is a multilayer steel gasket for the 1.9 IDI engines that I ordered for it...it does not fit perfect tho and takes some modding...yeah I know modding a headgasket does not sound right!!!lol..but lots of guys have been running them with good luck...definatly better results then my fiber gasket!...:kick::hehe:
thanks for the positive comments Chris

Omg , that is beautiful !!! . :clap: If you get tired of it, pm me.
haha thanks buddy! thats a great compliment!
I don't think I will be getting tired of this car for awhile...it runs pretty damn hard for a engine that only has 58hp stock!(of course mine is not stock hp)
its a fun car!! I cant wait...I'm rebuilding the control arms and rear axle bushings next week so it should run and drive better then new!
LONG AS i CAN KEEP THE HEAD CLAMPED DOWN!:ft::evil
i'm pretty happy with how it turned out!!
I would like to lower it some and powder coat the wheels gloss black

thanks for the positive comments guys....I need them after all this!:bang

Looks great, wish I still lived in Provo so I could stop by for a ride in that beast. Can it spin the tires in the Utah 4500' valley air?

53 willys, when you get the car back together could you take a video of it to so we can see and hear that monster running !!!

thanks for an awesome write up and build ! :bow::woohoo:

Beautiful car. The round headlights look 100 times better. It would look good lowered with black wheels for sure

Well I have not done an update on here for a while so here is what I have been doing on the diesel dub.......
got some more stuff done this week..
daisy chained my lighting for the gauges
DSC_0576.jpg

also built my drive pressure gauge tubing..
DSC_0568.jpg

I drilled out and through the old turbo support bolt hole...tapped it with some 1/8NPT and screwed in my compression fitting and my Custom coiled brake line tubing(by custom I mean I coiled it around my Mag light :lol: ) to cool the gases before they hit the poly tubing....I also made a soot filter(filled with brilo pad)
DSC_0567.jpg

Last edited:
Back