~91 Jetta gas GLI converted to a 1.6 turbo diesel build up~

I also got this little bundle of joy!:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

MLSgasket.jpg

opened it up... and found both theses little beauties...
2 notch
DSC_0550.jpg

3 notch
DSC_0552.jpg

out of the package...
it looks great!!! I am pretty impressed with the quality..
it did have some slightly rough edges around the #1 and #2 bore hole...but nothing to be worried about..
DSC_0553.jpg

hurried and took it outside to check it against the head...
DSC_0566.jpg

PERFECT MATCH!!!!!!!(it looks a little off in the pic..but that cause I'm trying to hold it with one and and take a pic with my SLR camera)
:D
DSC_0566.jpg

note the steam pocket holes!! 8)
DSC_0564.jpg

Put the new MLS on the block..marked the holes with a sharpy
laid out some painters tape and drilled the steam pocket holes.
the holes end up being pretty darn deep...at least 1/2"+
DSC_0557.jpg

Done..
DSC_0558.jpg

on the block it looks just as pretty!..lol
DSC_0559.jpg

you can kinda see the rough edge in this pic.
DSC_0560.jpg

DSC_0561.jpg

I slapped the head on TQ'ed it in steps and proper sequence to 80ftlbs..I will start and run it WITH NO COOLANT CAP to get it up to operating temp.then I will let it cool and do a re TQ@90ftlbs..

Drive pressure gauge installed...
DSC_0569.jpg

DSC_0574.jpg

I have ran it tonight...I'm waiting for it to fully cool and I will re torque it in the morning and then it's GO TIME....
:twisted:
finally!!!
I'm gonna be nice to it this time....no 20 psi rally runs:lol: ...least not till I get some time in the drivers seat...

well I got it put together the day before yesterday...I warmed it up and retqed it yesterday...took it for a ride..10psi was the most I pushed it..
came back home feeling great!!
look under the car and see red coolant dripping down...at the back of the engine! Sad

grab my inspection mirror and start looking...the damn head gasket is seeping coolant on the back side of the head and block!!!! Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad
so after punching a few holes in my garage walls!!!!(jk)
I started to take the car back apart to see why...after I got it apart I pretty much came to the conclusion that I did not get the gasket FULLY smashed...I clean the surfaces again..and this time I applied some permatex Aviation form-A-gasket sealer...and put it all back together.....head off, cleaned, inspected and reinstalled in about 2.5 hours!!! I'm getting good now! lol

I took the studs to 95ftlbs...I'm gonna warm it up and go to 105ftlbs

if this SOB does not seal now..well I dont know what I will do!!!!!!!!!

to be continued...........

well I just finished taking her for a nice burn around the block..
apparently 110ftlbs!!!! is what it takes to crush this MLS and I think the Aviation sealer help a ton too...

WOOT WOOOT!!

well here is what I did ..

1~aviation permatex sealer on both sides of the gasket..
2~torqued in proper sequence and steps
35ftlbs
50ftlbs
75ftlbs
95ftlbs
then I filled it with coolant and plugged in the block heater...
I knew I wanted to take the studs way past the ARP spec and I noticed that when I retorqued the studs after RUNNING the engine it has was most the molylube off and I was getting "popping" and "jerking" when I retorqued...so my thought this time was plug the block heater in let it warm the whole block over night..then come out and clamp the SOB down with 110ftlbs.....
as I did the retroqued I could tell the gasket had not fully crushed and I was getting nice and tight as I kept going Cool
I only had 1 stud "pop" on me witch made me feel like I was getting some good even clamping force from nicely lube stud threads..

as of right now I dont think I would go much past 110ftlbs....that was starting to really get tight..

I'm gonna take and run some more testing on it in the am...I had to work today so my time was limited..

I was beginning to think it was never gonna seal!..

15PSI AND HOLDING STRONG!!
man it's running even better then before(weird but it ran nice even with a blown HG before)

I would say the MLS is a success!!!! I drove to and from my work last night with no engine issues at ALL..the worst part is my heater resistor pack is blown...and my blower motor is shot so it rattling and bouncing around!!
so hey I would say success if that all I can complain about!!

I took it up a nice big hill on my way home...18-19psi... holding strong..

Twisted Evil
I'm trying to keep the boost down under 20psi......

Sounds Good. Who would've thought that you would get to a point where holding the head down would be tricky. Chris

i can't wait to finish my 79 rabbit. i'm going to get is running NA then turbo it. or maybe twins. oh yeah and a 5 speed with 4 speed gearing and a 5th gear for highway rolling

willys do you have where you got the arp head studs and mls gasket from?

53 willy's sounds like you're moving in the right direction I'm sure you're glad to be driving instead of wrenching.

Sounds Good. Who would've thought that you would get to a point where holding the head down would be tricky. Chris

I know...I knew the head did not seal well with fiber..but I also did not think it would take soooo much to crush the MLS gasket...

i can't wait to finish my 79 rabbit. i'm going to get is running NA then turbo it. or maybe twins. oh yeah and a 5 speed with 4 speed gearing and a 5th gear for highway rolling

willys do you have where you got the arp head studs and mls gasket from?
sounds like a sweet project!

I'm a ARP dealer so I bought them from me....
the custom MLS came from "gasketstogo.com" (Thailand)

53 willy's sounds like you're moving in the right direction I'm sure you're glad to be driving instead of wrenching.
thanks bud! yeah I'm ready to rive this for a bit and NOT wrench on it...although we know it's a VW so there will be wrenching no matter what!..lol

willy can you see if you can find a set of arp head studs for a 79 vw rabbit diesel i'm pretty sure its a 1.6L

Just be careful charging an na engine they dont have piston cooling jets like the factory turbo engines.

Just be careful charging an na engine they dont have piston cooling jets like the factory turbo engines.

oh i know i already plan on having the pistons ceramic coated and i won't be running anything more than 15 or 20 pounds.

oh i know i already plan on having the pistons ceramic coated and i won't be running anything more than 15 or 20 pounds.
if your going to that kinda trouble and expense....I would just buy piston squirters and add them to your NA block...they are just about $100 bucks IIRC??

Well I blew my turbo up last night....I dont know if I did something wrong on the rebuild or what?? but the compressor wheel was getting pushed into the compressor housing..:badidea:

I'm thinking BB turbo???
we will see.....

Well I blew my turbo up last night....I dont know if I did something wrong on the rebuild or what?? but the compressor wheel was getting pushed into the compressor housing..:badidea:

I'm thinking BB turbo???
we will see.....

over speed it?

I've eaten 2 turbos on my car so far Mark so find something that works will ya please?

Once you do the R&D then I'll jump in for my car. Cause the way it looks right now I'm keeping the suka :evil

I've eaten 2 turbos on my car so far Mark so find something that works will ya please?

Once you do the R&D then I'll jump in for my car. Cause the way it looks right now I'm keeping the suka :evil
those turbos REALLY need a gate!!
I think thats what killing them..

Damn, and I thought that I was getting somewhere when I went from a 1.6L N/A to the ECODiesel. You have blown me away! It must be one hell of a ride. Chris

Back