Stereo project is finally complete.

Do you use the headunit as gauges with the interface they sell? I am trying to figure out if those features would work in a 2012 Silverado. I saw that as a possibility and thought it may work. I already have a hotspot in the truck to compliment the HU. How do you like it so far?

audio.idatalink.com/maestro/

I cant figure out what it will and wont do on my truck. I don't think the serial cable is compatible with my truck.

Last edited:
I have enough gauges already with the pillar pod and being able to switch between readings on the EVIC thing in the dash so I didn't even mess with it. As far as liking it...so far it's great. The features you can access with the wifi are awesome...probably more than anyone, myself included will ever need.

On a side note....it's back from the tuner after 6 days...I'm blown away with what he came up with. He put about 30 hours into it and it shows.

Last edited:
No...a guy named Jim is doing the tuning...used to have a lifter red F250 he competed with. I'll be damned if I can think of his last name right now.

BigRed is doing the tuning? I was wondering who it might be, should be spot on when you get it done.

I can't imagine it getting much better than what you have for gear, plus a nice little single cab makes it nearly a recording studio in there. Looking forward to seeing the trophies you rake in doing the MECA circuit.

As for the deadener debate

Expert RoadKill Published Specifications (per, http://stingerelectronics.com/productDetails.aspx?ProductId=541&CategoryID=12)
Minimum Thickness 0.080in
Minimum Weight 0.65bs/ft2
Aluminum Layer- 6 mils

Dynamat Xtreme Published Specifications (per, http://stingerelectronics.com/productDetails.aspx?ProductId=541&CategoryID=12)
Minimum Thickness 0.067in
Minimum Weight 0.45bs/ft2
Aluminum Layer- 4 mils

Damplifier Pro (per, http://store.secondskinaudio.com/damplifier-pro-36-50-sq-feet-bulk-pack/)
Minimum Thickness 0.080in
Minimum Weight 0.6lbs/ft2
Aluminum Layer- 6.5 mils

RAAMmat BXT II (per, http://www.raamaudio.com/raammat-bxt-ii-bulk-pack-20-sheets-37-5-sq-ft-real-automotive-sound-deadener-best-there-is-for-the-money-period-please-click-to-see-product-description/)
Minimum Thickness 0.060in
Minimum Weight 0.52lbs/ft2
Aluminum Layer- 4mil

there are others to consider but compare the density you get per the price you pay, thinner/lighter products like Fatmat or B-quiet may need more than a single layer to equal the density of the above products.

Yep. That's who tuned it. Several people here listened to it this weekend...everyone seemed to think it's sounding pretty damn good.

What audio file format do you feed it? I'm by no means an audiophile but each time I build something I become more and more disgusted with the quality of the media being played.

From My Not-So-Smart Phone

I'm finally done...yes, done. I don't think there's anywhere to go from here in my price range. It took a while and was rather expensive but worth it now that it's all up and running.
The final parts list is a Kenwood Excelon DNN990HD, Mosconi 6to8 DSP with remote display, a pair of Mosconi AS 200.4 amps, Focal Utopia Be No*7 3 way front stage and a Morel Ultimo 12 sub. Everything was wired with Stinger products including the 8000 series RCA's and Stinger Roadkill Expert dampener. It all gets power from a DC Power 250 amp alternator and XS Power D4800 battery.

Nice looking system.

I must say that I'm envious of your Utopia Be system... Fantastic speakers.

Was just looking and getting prices for my next system which will have either Focal K2s, Dynaudio or Hertz Mille front stage.

I'm curious as to why you chose the Mosconi amps over say Audison? And why not a Focal sub? Why didn't you put the front stage in a kick panel? Does the processing eliminate the need for staging by position? I've been out of the hifidelity stuff for a while and am trying to re-educate myself.

I used to have the DRX9255. Those were some fantastic head units.

I needed a certain amount of power and top mounted controls for the way the install was planned....and I like the looks of the Mosconi stuff. They were just a good fit for this install. As far as the sub...no reason...just playing around trying new stuff. If I try anything else it'll be the Illusion Carbon C12XL. All that stuff is imported by Orca so I have pretty easy access to it since I know those guys.
Driver position still plays a big role in things...just not as much as it used to IMHO. My stage is eyeball height, wide as hell and out on the hood...it's pretty spot on. The new DSP's just do everything so well. I sold my DRZ9255 before I started this project....sometimes I wish I had kept it.

Thanks. Another couple of questions if you don't mind.

Have you compared the Morel to any other subs (Focal, Dynaudio, etc)? Looking around it seems it is half the price compared to the Focal I am looking at.

And on the Kenwood HU; Alpine and Pioneer used to be pretty decent quality. It seems they are a mixed bag now. Is Kenwood a better brand now? That unit you have does seem to have more features.

Wish I knew you were selling that DRZ...I would have bought it!

I've heard most of the good stuff...the Morel is hard to beat for pure SQ. The only 2 I've heard that are competitors are the Dynaudio Esotar and the Illusion Carbon C12XL.

As far as the HU...I had a Kenwood DD years ago and it was a great unit so I went back to them. I looked at the high end Alpine's but just liked the Kenwood better. Pioneer wasn't and never will be a consideration for me.

Did I say I was done? Yea...about that...

This was the final test fit before final sanding and paint for the mounting/trim panel I built today for the 6to8 controller. I should finish it up tomorrow.

1452285_10201182159935758_840635868_n.jpg

Back